Wren

[SPLIT] Vortex Shakers

9 minutes ago, undel said:

I added 4mm hematite beads to all of my paint bottles, and its made a big difference in how quickly they shake up. Was a bit messy cracking everything open and putting them in, but worth it I think.

100% agreed! :winkthumbs:

It definitely can be messy, but every bottle gets one. When you have a lot of paint to shake, cutting the shake time on each bottle with a hematite bead adds up.

• Like 2

I read much of the above and am still unclear on the answer to the following questions.  Perhaps one or more of you can set me straight:

Say that I acquire a Scientific Industries SI-0236 Vortex Genie shaker.  What does it come with in terms of a holder or pad upon which to place the bottle of Reaper paint I will be shaking?  Apparently, it comes with a flat, about 3" pad that I will need to physically hold the paint down upon while it shakes.  Is that correct? 

I understand I can buy an accessory which is a cup-like attachment into which I can place the paint bottle I want to shake.  Does that attachment hold a Reaper paint bottle securely, or will I have to hold it in the cup while it is being shaken?  Or can I place the bottle in the cup and walk away as it is shaken?

Before I put out the cash, I would like to be sure that the shaker is shaking the paint ... not me and the paint.

Any help?

I bought mine used on eBay. Some of the used mixers listed at the time came with the cup, some with the 3" platform, and some had no topper at all. If you're shopping for one used it should show which one you get in the image. If you're buying new it should also show in the product image, and say (or not say) what accessories it has in the description.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Highlander said:

I understand I can buy an accessory which is a cup-like attachment into which I can place the paint bottle I want to shake.  Does that attachment hold a Reaper paint bottle securely, or will I have to hold it in the cup while it is being shaken?  Or can I place the bottle in the cup and walk away as it is shaken?

Most of the ones I have seen require you to hold the paint bottle.  The downward pressure seems to be switch that activates the motor.

From what I've seen (which is, admittedly, not much--there are videos on YouTube) it wouldn't be worth walking away.  You'd barely get to the door before your paint was mixed--like a five or six count to mix the bottle.

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies.  YouTube educated me that the Genie has a three position switch.  Off is off.  On activates the shaker.  Touch activates the shaker when the accessory pad or cup is depressed.

So, assuming the cup is of the proper size, I can turn the Genie on and it will shake away without my assistance.  If the cup is too large, I can make an insert that will fit Reaper paint bottles quite nicely.

For now, I have two Robart shakers -- one sometimes works; the other works all the time, mostly.  The Genie produces 600 to 3200 rpm; the Robart is a fixed 5000 rpm.  The Robart is (relatively) not so sturdy; the Genie is clearly sturdy.  The Robart takes a bit of positioning of the bottle before turning on (though rubber bands work nicely when the custom straps wear out); the Genie just requires that you place the bottle on the pad or cup.  The Robart is not very reliable; it appears that the Genie is -- i.e., my first Robart stopped working, but I kept it around for a couple of years.  Then, about six months ago, as I was preparing to throw it away, I plugged it in one last time.  It worked perfectly.  Now it works sometimes.  Oh, and one needs to take care that the Robart does not overheat by being operated for more than a couple of minutes; the Genie should not have that issue.

I think I'll work with my Robarts until they both wear out and then consider upgrading.

Edited by Highlander
  • Like 4

On 12/15/2018 at 10:39 AM, Highlander said:

I think I'll work with my Robarts until they both wear out and then consider upgrading.

I now have a Robart that just sits in a box because the vortex mixer won me over.  Guess I could keep it around as a spare OR if I wanted to take it with me if I was going somewhere else to paint.  Not sure if there is much resale value on it even if I barely used it.

• Like 2

I'm just about ready to buy a vortex mixer. Had a couple questions. The first is about using the small cup. Can you mix things larger than the cup? In my case I want to use it for craft paints in 2 ounce or bigger bottles as well as my 15-18 ml model paints. They may not fit in the cup but I'm thinking they could be held on top of it. And do you think it's worth an extra $15-20 to get variable speed? 

15 cc Boston Rounds (Reaper, Vallejo, whatever) fit bottom-down (they're about the size of a normal test tube). 1 oz. bottles of Golden Fluid acrylics fit pretty well top-down. 2 oz. bottles of craft paint kind of work top-down, but I usually drop a blob of silly putty into the cup before I run those. I'm not sure how a flat bed would be better than the cup with silly putty, but that's pretty much a kludge, so there you go.

Be careful about the mixer loosening or removing the cap when you're mixing paint. I haven't had it happen, but you get some spinning when using the mixer, so it's possible.

I haven't had occasion to want a different speed, but I don't have one, so maybe it would be amazing::P:

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Zink said:

I'm just about ready to buy a vortex mixer. Had a couple questions. The first is about using the small cup. Can you mix things larger than the cup? In my case I want to use it for craft paints in 2 ounce or bigger bottles as well as my 15-18 ml model paints. They may not fit in the cup but I'm thinking they could be held on top of it. And do you think it's worth an extra $15-20 to get variable speed? 

I can only speak to variable speed as I just mix Reaper sized bottles in mine.  Mine DOES have variable speed.  But I don't recall EVER turning it down from the maximum.  So I run it at 11.  ::D:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Harrek said:

I can only speak to variable speed as I just mix Reaper sized bottles in mine.  Mine DOES have variable speed.  But I don't recall EVER turning it down from the maximum.  So I run it at 11.  ::D:

I just checked and with the models I'm looking at the fixed rate one is set to the max of the variable one (2500 rpm). I know with other things I often only use one setting even if I can change them.

9 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

15 cc Boston Rounds (Reaper, Vallejo, whatever) fit bottom-down (they're about the size of a normal test tube). 1 oz. bottles of Golden Fluid acrylics fit pretty well top-down. 2 oz. bottles of craft paint kind of work top-down, but I usually drop a blob of silly putty into the cup before I run those. I'm not sure how a flat bed would be better than the cup with silly putty, but that's pretty much a kludge, so there you go.

Be careful about the mixer loosening or removing the cap when you're mixing paint. I haven't had it happen, but you get some spinning when using the mixer, so it's possible.

I haven't had occasion to want a different speed, but I don't have one, so maybe it would be amazing::P:

Wouldn't be the first time I've had paint fly around. Right beside my paint area there's a bunch of pink and green splatters. The pink was from using a dremel to mix ancient GW tentacle pink. I stuck a bent wire in the dremel to use as a mixer and after 5 seconds or so the wire bent again scooping most of the paint out of the bottle and spraying it across my chest and tools. I'm man enough to live with hot pink and black drill and jigsaw. The green was from a mostly full aerosol can with a clogged nozzle. Got the nozzle cleaned some and it started leaking and wouldn't stop. I was fooling with it in the basement so I shoved it in my garbage can, grabbed my stuff I had planned to take to the garage to spray, ran to the garage and hosed it down and left the can sitting there fizzing slowly until it ran out of gas. Some of the green paint hit the wall while I was stuffing it into the garbage can. :blush: My utility/paint room is an ugly battleship grey and nobody cares how bad of a mess I make in it. Those two incidents also led me to switching all my paints to dropper bottles and wearing gloves when playing with aerosols.

The large craft paints I have use the same caps as the 2 oz bottles so your silly putty would work for me. I was thinking I'm handy enough I could probably rig up or make a platform if I wanted. Not really wanting to spend another $50 for more options right now. If it was the platform type I don't know if you could just leave it sit on it anyway. Thinking that unless the battles are strapped down good a person needs to hold them in place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Zink said:

I got a variable speed Vortex Genie 2 a couple years ago with the cup. It shakes up dropper bottle paints beautifully, but larger bottles not so much. I ended up ordering a 3" platform with rubber cover a few months back for the paints that don't fit in the cup. The platform works great for Minitaire paints, P3, Citadel, etc... and it's okay at shaking craft paints. It struggles a little with them if the craft bottles are full and the paint is thick. I sometimes get better results by shaking the craft paints by hand until about a fifth of the paint is used up. Then the mixer with the platform can really get those going.

It seems like the cup shakes dropper bottles a little better than the platform, but the platform definitely mixes bottles the cup simply can't. I never thought of trying silly putty in the cup though. Sounds like it might do the trick. I usually leave the platform on the mixer, but switch to the cup when I want to mix a lot of dropper bottles.

Even though the mixer is variable speed, I always leave it on full speed.

• Like 4

Bought a mini-vortex shaker from amazon (Foures UK) for 75€ and it works bottle up to 2 ounce with no problems at all.
Used it on the bottom and on the tip and the cap do not even loose.
Tryed it on the side and i got my bottle flying to the other side of the room... it mixed very well :'D
It mix even the infamous Army painter... 
I don't think you need variable speed, you'll end up leaving it at the max!

• Like 3