Wren

[SPLIT] Vortex Shakers

A little Febreze, a quick swipe of a Magic Eraser, a dark rite, a sacrificial offering to the ghost of Madame Curie, and...  âœŒ(◕‿-)✌

Question, what happens if some of my paint bottles turn into glow sticks? 

• Like 5

A little Febreze, a quick swipe of a Magic Eraser, a dark rite, a sacrificial offering to the ghost of Madame Curie, and...  âœŒ(◕‿-)✌

If the sacrifice to Madame Curie presents you with Glow-In-The-Dark paints, I'd be happy to send you my bag of spare paints and a cage full of live chickens.

• Like 4

If the sacrifice to Madame Curie presents you with Glow-In-The-Dark paints, I'd be happy to send you my bag of spare paints and a cage full of live chickens.

Now that sounds like a plan. Madame Curie will be appeased, you'll have glowy paint, and I'll have gumbo. Everybody wins! 

• Like 4

Now that sounds like a plan. Madame Curie will be appeased, you'll have glowy paint, and I'll have gumbo. Everybody wins! 

You mean that my 09416: Spectral Glow will have a spectral glow?

I find this totally appropriate.

And here I'm using my back massager to mix my paints, with no side-effects (yet). Though admittedly, I'm not all too familiar with the mutagenic properties of back hair.

• Like 2

If you want to help a fellow forum member, look for the Typhoon mixer on Etsy.  Robert's a nice guy and he does a good thing rebuilding trashed equipment that would normally go to a landfill.  He guarantees them, too.  We got one and are very happy with it.  I have some bottles that are 10 years old now, I thought they were thickening up and would be unusable soon.  10 seconds on that thing and it's like fresh paint.  It's also great for those problem metallics that keep separating. 

OK, I took the plunge and picked up the last one he had on eBay. Thanks for the tip Inarah.

I'm curious how well it does with the Vallejo alcohol based Liquid Gold metallics. I always need to use a stick to stir up the bottoms of those things. It sounds like I'll need to use up some of my Scalecolor paints a bit too. Those things are FULL when new.

If you message Robert through his Etsy store, he is very helpful, and may be able to help you out. He was actually out of stock when I was looking for a mixer, but it turned out that he had an older one, with an alternate paint scheme*, in the works, and I was able to pick it up anyway. He may be a little slow to restock until after the Christmas holiday. (The last time he ran out, he said he was under orders to clear the stuff off the kitchen table for Thanksgiving. :;): )

I appreciate that he cleans and refurbishes used lab mixers. He seems to know what he is doing, and it's nice that he at least filters out the seriously contaminated ones.

ETA:

post-7337-0-52236200-1482331733_thumb.jpeg

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 5

I just got a Typhoon Paint Mixer from Robert.  Hes so nice and easy to work with, shipped fast and has a solid product.  I am very happy with my mixer from him!

I had been looking at the Robart paint shakers but went with this one instead, its very sturdy.

Since I broke my right hand a bit ago shaking lots of paint bottles doesn't feel very good for my bones.

The Robarts are 20-30 bucks and my Typhoon from Etsy was about 100.  I like that I don't have to strap the bottles in and can do it one-handed while I watch tv or play video games.

I also got some ArtBin bottle storage containers, they hold my dropper bottles upside down so I can see the colors easy.

• Like 4

I regularly shake paint with my vortex while doing things with the other hand....

NOT THAT! You pervy Hobbit fanciers!

• Like 5

I regularly shake paint with my vortex while doing things with the other hand....

You thought it first!

• Like 4

You thought it first!
Only because I know the people around these parts...
  • Like 2

I had been looking at the Robart paint shakers but went with this one instead, its very sturdy.

The Robarts are 20-30 bucks and my Typhoon from Etsy was about 100.  I like that I don't have to strap the bottles in and can do it one-handed while I watch tv or play video games.

The elastic strap on the Robart I had broke, and I would have had to pay shipping to get more, so I never bothered. It's also a lot more effort to strap the bottle in than it is to hold it to the touch-activated vortex style mixer.

• Like 1

Thank you for mentioning the Typhoon mixers. I checked the Bay, and it's looking like he's got 2 up for $110. I may be picking one up sometime soon, depending on how my overtime turns out for the next few paychecks. If there are still some for sale by that time. I like that they're refurbed and cleaned, while still running roughly the same price as the super-nasty looking used ones. I do sort of wish that he'd left the power switch and speed control intact, but I'm willing to make sacrifices since I'm pretty much only going to use it for paint.

• Like 3

Thank you for mentioning the Typhoon mixers. I checked the Bay, and it's looking like he's got 2 up for $110. I may be picking one up sometime soon, depending on how my overtime turns out for the next few paychecks. If there are still some for sale by that time. I like that they're refurbed and cleaned, while still running roughly the same price as the super-nasty looking used ones. I do sort of wish that he'd left the power switch and speed control intact, but I'm willing to make sacrifices since I'm pretty much only going to use it for paint.

I wouldn't worry about the speed control. I understand that most folks with a working speed knob keep it on full power anyway.

As for power, just be careful not to set things on top of it :upside:. Startled me the first time I did that.I really need to clean off my workbench.

• Like 6

I wouldn't worry about the speed control. I understand that most folks with a working speed knob keep it on full power anyway.

As for power, just be careful not to set things on top of it :upside:. Startled me the first time I did that.I really need to clean off my workbench.

Oh, I know. The speed isn't as much a disappointment as the lack of a power switch. While I doubt I'd set something on top of it intentionally, I can guarantee that at some point in my ownership I'll be putting something on it without thinking. And I don't want to accidentally do that with something important and/or fragile, only to have it kick on and toss it off.