Wren

[SPLIT] Vortex Shakers

No extra arms here. I wouldn't worry. Icky things are everywhere. The scientist or lab techs who use these mixers understand they're just a tool. My kitchen knives come into frequent contact with lots of things that many people might think are icky, but the yucky looking stuff usually ends up as yummy food. Give the knife a good wash and it's fine. Should be a similar thing with your mixer.

Gotta say, the vortex mixer is my absolute favorite painting accessory. 

• Like 2

I bought one from Robert ~2 months ago.  It was very clean, and I went this route mainly because to what I read here.

1 hour ago, hungerfan said:

Bringing this thread back up because I REALLY want one now that I see us painting a lot more often.

So have any of you that got one over the last 7+ months grown any extra arms?  I got this problem with just knowing there may have been icky things being mixed on the one I get.

Had mine for a while now,  no issues. ..

I wiped mine down pretty well when I first got it, and then took the route of electing not to think about it too much. I still have only the number of limbs I started with. Haven't even caught more colds or whatever since I got it. I have saved my sad weak wrist a lot of agony doing my yearly paint check, though!

• Like 6

More limbs, more things you can paint at once!! Heck who would need one of those Helping Hand stands!!

Kidding aside I can see why this might be a problem with some.

If you're worried, either buy a NEW one(expensive) or a refurb from Robert. 

If you feel courageous, get a used one from eBay, then put on latex gloves(or vinyl/nitrile if you have allergies), preferably double up on them, then take the unit apart and BOIL the ouside parts and wash the remaining stuff with bleach or strong antiseptics.   

If you believe it may have been used in a chemical lab instead of biolab, give the parts a good, long soak in an ultrasonic cleaner. 

(Not one of those 'jewelry cleaners' but a good one. I have one made to take small car parts... It strips paint off of car parts if I'm not careful... )

Yeah Robert is the one I was going to get a refurb from if I do it.  Just wanted to see how everyone who recently got one from him felt about it and make sure no one melted into a pile of goo.

Just to give you a little insight on how bad I can be.  People at work will tell me they got some bug when they don't feel well just to see how fast I will get "sick". I even have felt bleh after reading about someone mentioning they have the flu on FB and they live in another state.  Some may say I have issues.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If anyone at work does that, I'd consider reporting it to HR because that is harassment. 

Also, going to work with a potentially contagious disease is frowned upon most places.  

So yeah, you're not the one with the worst issues at your office. 

Robert seems to know what he's doing, so I expect his machines are safe. Probably even safer than a new one, as they're probably not sterilized at the factory. 

• Like 1

Oh we are all an HR nightmare.  I give as much as I get so no worries there.

I will look into getting one of these from Robert here soon.  Birthday and father's day are this month so I may be able to work something out.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

If you're worried, either buy a NEW one(expensive) or a refurb from Robert. 

If you feel courageous, get a used one from eBay, then put on latex gloves(or vinyl/nitrile if you have allergies), preferably double up on them, then take the unit apart and BOIL the ouside parts and wash the remaining stuff with bleach or strong antiseptics.   

If you believe it may have been used in a chemical lab instead of biolab, give the parts a good, long soak in an ultrasonic cleaner. 

(Not one of those 'jewelry cleaners' but a good one. I have one made to take small car parts... It strips paint off of car parts if I'm not careful... )

Just make sure to unplug it before boiling :)

• Like 4

Thanks for all the info but I chickened out and just spent less than half the price on a Robart Paint Shaker for now.  If it does not make me happy or gives me problems then I may look into the vortex shaker for Christmas.  After a quick test run yesterday with it it seemed to do a decent job.

• Like 1

I've got a Robart; it works but I find I have to hold it in place or it walks around the table.  Also it's slower than a vortex.

I suggested a vortex as a possible Fathers Day gift so we'll see what happens.

• Like 4

I spotted a 'cheap' one from India on eBay, sold by vaishali-industry on eBay. 

At $80 for a new machine, and free shipping, I figure that I can afford it if it's a dud...  

There will be a report here when it arrives.

• Like 2

Aye, and there's the rub. Getting a vortex mixer isn't a purchase, it's an investment. You have to save up money for it, but once you have it you wonder how you ever did without it. Hopefully yours is new and not refurb, I think you'll find that you'll be pleased with it once you avoid all the carpal tunnel from shaking paints.::D:

• Like 2