Constellation Dice - Voyager Anniversary Edition

• Members

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/giolasar/constellation-dice-voyager-anniversary-edition?ref=category_newest

Five Limited Edition Collectors' Dice celebrating the Exploration of the Southern Emisphere, the Solar System, and... Fantasy Worlds!

Edited by Darsc Zacal
Tag updated
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
About this project

Important notice: tracked shipping does not reach all destinations (e.g. Australia, Norway...)
If your nation is missing in the list, and you are ok with untracked shipping,
please contact me because it may be possible to ship that way.

Kickstarter doesn't allow multiple pledges and I had to publish several different reward tiers trying to make everyone happy. If you have no time to cherry pick the best one for you and need some help please scroll down to the "How do I chose the right bundle?" section.

Hint: if you wish to collect all available second edition dice versions (black/blue, standard/glow-in-the-dark) get One Deluxe Anniversary Set.

To maximize convenience, grab the Five Friends SUPERSAVER Bundle.

7c360b931d3d348577b5ed237fbcb9be_origina

"From ancient times, the Constellations above us have been deemed responsible of a great part of man's destiny, and have been asked for guidance or blessings".

Glow in the dark Constellation Dice were designed last year and found encouraging success. It's originality has been recognized by the world record holder dice collector Mr. Kevin Cook, and the project is going to be featured in the art photo book "Dice – Rendezvous with Randomness" by MÃ¥ns Danneman (to be soon published by Ã…skfÃ¥geln).

5ae343d9e31b3d01339ec1333ae44f08_origina

They are still in demand, but not many are left. This campaign will provide good company to your First Edition Ptolemaic Constellation Dice (Northern Sky), while offering new backers the chance to grab the very last available First Edition, along with all new designs. 

This campaign has been in the making for one year. Enjoy the ride!

7c360b931d3d348577b5ed237fbcb9be_origina
450 Years of Discovery and Exploration

2017 will mark the 40th anniversary of the Voyager spacecrafts, that allowed us to admire Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and now are travelling out of the solar system.  

It is interesting to point out that "Voyager" actually means a traveler to a distant land (especially one who travels by sea) as 2017 will also be the uncelebrated 450th anniversary of the European exploration of the Southern Hemisphere.

In 1567 Alvaro do Mendana reached the Solomon Islands, and very soon afterwards a new set of constellations was created to help navigators, and honor new instruments of science such as the pendulum clock and the telescope. 

The first new dice will be d6 like the one before, showing the constellations of the Southern Hemisphere (including the Southern Cross), and the Magellanic Clouds.

A glow-in-the-dark option of this dice is available.

3dfaa3c1d9aaacca20f89d04639d6ccf_originaGlow in the dark Constellation Dice (Northern Sky)

In the following years, as a result of improvements Galileo Galilei made to the telescope, with a magnifying capability of 20×, he was able to see celestial bodies more distinctly than was ever possible before. This allowed Galilei to discover in either December 1609 or January 1610 what came to be known as the Galilean moons. 

The second new dice will be a couple of d10 featuring the planets, and all their 9 moons discovered before 1700 only by using optical means.

These dice do not glow in the dark. Prototypes should be ready around the end of November.

3cfde6aef6b5b7d1427add5b87ff9bfb_originaRendering of Voyager Dice (planets d100, moons d10)

At zero sides you'll see the sun and our moon. Pluto is still included as the ninth planet, although it is now classified as a dwarf planet (one in a growing series). 

3a5d15e1899bc1633b933c889a134f24_originaVoyager Dice layout (left: planets d100, right: moons d10)

The third new dice will be d6 with two big sparkling stars, spanning two sides each, that can be used as Fudge/FATE dice, for those who play with that ruleset. 

These dice do not glow in the dark. Prototypes should be ready around the end of November.

18ab881b3235a566d6760baf501756d6_origina

Although they feature no recognizable constellations (the little stars can be used as pips counting from 1 to 6), these dice will materialize the first inspiration of this project, Björk's song "Desired Constellation":

With a palm full of stars
I throw them like dice
Repeatedly, I shake them like dice
And throw them on the table
Repeatedly, repeatedly,  

Until the desired constellation appears.

• Like 1