Sign in to follow this  
Guyscanwefocusplease

CAV SO: Ritterlich Cougar 72208

Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I have posted something, but here we go!

I have decided to take a break from my terrans and try something new.  There were several new techniques I had been wanting to try, including camouflage, washes, and edging.  I also wanted more practice with OSL and jeweling now that I had purchased some Matte medium. I had been going back and forth about how I wanted to paint my ritterlich force, when I came across this wonderfully painted starship fleet over at triple zero painting:

https://triplezeropainting.com/category/spaceship-miniatures/brigade-models/oness/

I was blown away by this paint scheme and had wanted to do some camo for awhile, but nothing I had seen so far in the CAV realm really stuck with me.  This was my answer!

I started out by airbrushing my force with Reaper Breonne Blue.  I let it dry and applied the sticky tack as explained in the article, then airbrushed with Ashen Blue.  Note: If you do this, you need to be very careful to make sure the sticky tack is flush against the model, or the top color will bleed underneath.  I had to do a lot of cleaning up, but this is how it turned out:

post-14043-0-34645600-1479576762_thumb.jpg

To get the crevasses nice and dark, I applied a wash of 1:1 navy blue/black, with some water and matte medium to thin it out.  This was my first time applying a wash and I think it came out pretty well (though the photo is crap)

post-14043-0-16730900-1479575002_thumb.jpg

Next came the highlighting.  I don't have a photo of just this phase for the cougar, but here are some Tiamat legs which were my test piece:

post-14043-0-95249500-1479576965_thumb.jpg

Highlights were achieved by mixing each blue with Reaper Misty Grey in a 1:1 ratio, with some matte medium to thin it out once again (that stuff is fantastic!)

I realized almost immediately that I had made a terrible mistake in terms of time commitment... there were so many edges.

However, I think the final product came out pretty darn cool.  I am really proud of this one!

post-14043-0-32061000-1479575025_thumb.jpg

post-14043-0-84308700-1479575121_thumb.jpg

post-14043-0-20374100-1479575063_thumb.jpg

post-14043-0-60765900-1479575140_thumb.jpg

C and C welcome!  I would like to go over the jewling one more time, and if anyone has any recommendations for a good spray matte sealer I am all ears.  Going forward I will be doing these in a more assembly line fashion than one at a time, but  I needed a test piece first :)

• Like 18

Great work!  Personally, I'd stay away from aerosol can sealers with Bones figures.  Since you have an airbrush I'd recommend using that with a brush-on matte sealer.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By CAVBOSS
      Set aside some time for our 2nd virtual gaming convention coming March 26-27! We are currently working on a full line of events that will include online gaming, special guests, virtual painting contest, and much more! Special miniatures and prizes will also be available.
      We are looking for more content contributors and would love to host your event! Please email us at cavcon(at)talon-games(dot)com ASAP! www.twitch.tv/talongamesonline

MAINVIRTUAL CC 2021 MAIN_2.mp4
    • By Cyradis
      This one was done for Season 2 of the Vancouver Miniature Painting Club. It is Jexx the Small Bomba by Big Child Creatives. He's a 75mm scale figure, but he's smaller as a little goblin, perhaps 40mm in height total.

Most folks got a good cast of the goblin. Mine was terrible. Ear was chipped in two places, and I only found one part to glue back. The ankle had deep cracks in it, and indeed, did break at one point and I had to repair it. Had mold slip and really bad mold lines. The edge of the hat had crumbly resin. He had a huge blob of excess resin on his nose next to an air bubble - that took a knife, filing, and filling to get to normal goblin nose.

So.... I wasn't super into this one.

But it was good practice on OSL and non-human skin tones. I did similar to the box art on this one too. Leaned into warm hues with the torchlit side, and blues on the non-torch side. Had a rough image in my head that the pants were originally white, but he's a goblin and peed in them regularly. Overall turned out fine. Still not my favorite. Pictures are "sufficient", although again I wish I had my buddy to take better ones!

Unlike the other projects, I did TMM on the bombs and buckles, since I was too lazy for NMM.

• By Inarah
      A pair of speed painted 3d printed robots I completed during my 4th of July Paint Binge.  I found the GW Contrast paints to be very good at covering large smooth surfaces easily.  The red one was from a KS project by EC3D. (and yes, it's missing an arm) I am not sure where my husband found the other one, but maybe Thingaverse.  

• By Kikkenass
      For your consideration I present my take on the Wizard’s Workshop. This piece was created in response to a challenge issued by a Twitch streamer that I follow. The challenge was themed Fatherly for Fathers Day 2020. I spent several hours searching for the right model until I came across this piece. Inspired by Alexi Z’s example on the Reaper website I decided to try OSL for the first time. (Using an airbrush is almost cheating lol) I wanted to find a unique base for this project and settled on the Shattered Ritual 100mm base by Secret Weapon Miniatures. In addition to the Wizard’s Workshop I also added 77318: Bookshelf, 77248: Crates (Large and Small) (2) and 77249: Large Barrel Small Barrel to the scene

The Glowing effect was created by adding LIT Green Glow Pigment by Culture Hustle and mixing it with the acrylic paint and applying it with the airbrush. C&C welcome  

• By MusicalFeline
      Brief word of introduction. I know next to nil about CAV. My current interest in it is solely from a painting perspective. With that in mind, please excuse any blunders I make.

So, I'm a painter looking for some cool stuff to paint. I see CAV's mechs. I think "I like mechs, those look cool, I think I'll grab some". Then my eyes flicker upwards towards where it says "10mm scale". I think you can see where this is going.

Long story short, how big are these? It looks like they come on 1" hexes, and $4.99-$6.99 is quite a lot to charge for a small mini (in my opinion, of course).

Many thanks, all!
  • Who's Online   20 Members, 0 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)