Sign in to follow this  
Darkmeer

Dark Paints: 77162 Yephima, Female Cloud Giant

The Big Babe is a BEAUTY...one of your best pieces. The brushwork, color selection, & base are SPLENDIDVERY WELL DONE indeed!

• Like 1

Thank you, Malefactus.  I paint a LOT of tabletop pieces, and I push my skills further every so often just to see what I am capable of.  I'm not a super great painter, but pushing my boundaries I get to low-end competition (read: local) levels of painting.

Don't be afraid to enter your "low-end competition" pieces in "high-end" competitions. It's where we get the best feedback to push ourselves to that next level.

Nice work, but you might want a more neutral backdrop (read: beige) for a mini on the cooler end of the spectrum like her.

• Like 1

I appreciate that, Dave.  I'll have to whip up a second background.  The first one I really like, and it's really easy to make in GIMP/Photoshop, so I'll make another and add it to my backdrops.  These seem to work better than the old "solid black" fabric ones I used in the past. 

As to competitions, I have to make it to the competition to be able to compete.  That's the hard part for me.  Online I can do many things.  But in real life, I am actually limited a bit more, both with time off from work and with time off from family.

Edited by Darkmeer
  • Like 1

Agreed.  And everyone is very nice and tries to be constructive here.  I've seen some... less kind corners of the internet. 

• Like 4

Her coloring is making me think of Fabergé enamels. I like this figure, and you have done a very nice job with her.

Agreed.  And everyone is very nice and tries to be constructive here.  I've seen some... less kind corners of the internet.

Aw, boo. Of what utility is unkindness when just a little constructive criticism can nudge people towards ways of painting awesome minis?
  • Like 2

Very nice! Her face looks especially natural. 

Do you remember what color you used for all the gold?

Yes, Yes I do! 

I started with Vallejo Glorious Gold, used Army Painter Strong Tone to build shadows, then brought the mid-tone back and began adding small amounts of Silver to the gold for highlighting.

• Like 2

Yephima was part of the Bones Quarterly contest on Facebook, thus the popularity.  I was super excited that she worked so well and the golds had the contrast that I wanted.  It's really difficult to paint TMM versus NMM when you are photographing a miniature.