Sign in to follow this  
canuckotter

77142: Townsfolk: Blacksmith

Yep, another of the townsfolk! And another relatively speedy paint job, probably about 3 hours total. If I could stop messing up the things I'd just finished so I didn't have to redo the mini half a dozen times, I'd probably be downright fast at this point... ::P:

I'm finding the greyscale+glaze technique particularly useful for leather... I've always struggled to get decent highlighting on leather, but I feel like this is working out pretty OK. ::): Thoughts?

post-14300-0-70331100-1479596365_thumb.jpg

post-14300-0-82785900-1479596502_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

I really like this piece. You captured the character of the miniature in FINE FASHION..a nice choice of colors & some SPLENDID work with the brush. VERY WELL DONE!

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 1

Whatever technique you used here for the leather has given it a good deal of shading, while also giving it a suitably soiled and weathered look well-suited to a blacksmith's apron!

Great job.ðŸ‘

• Like 2

Thanks folks! The apron was actually really easy... I did it in shades of grey with fairly rough, blotchy blends, added a couple scratches and such, then glazed a nice brown over top a couple times until it got the intensity I was looking for. I think I have another copy of him, would anyone find it useful if I re-did him but took a bunch of pictures along the way to document the process?

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ducknuck84
      Finished up #77057 Juliette, female Sorceress. Very happy with the end results. Only problem I had with the sculpt is the right boot which was really lumpy and not well defined but that's only a minor complaint as i really love the overall sculpt. Had a bit of a panic when i was working on the face when some paint got in the right eye so i had to redo it but think i salvaged it though the outline is a bit less now. Oh and on the face and small details 18/0 brush is your friend.  
      Main colors:
      Spruce Green
      Phantom Glow
      Heartwood Brown
      Scholar flesh

• By Maledrakh
      The Whispering Tyrant from the second Bones kickstarter. This is an officially licensed Pathfinder miniature. So I guess it is some sort of evil adversary in some adventure or other in that game.
      For me, this is Loki. I expect you see why. To make the model even more similar to the trickster god, I cut off the central helment-thing and carved the helmet round. Which took me whole tens of seconds! Bones material is really easy to cut and convert. I will miss this aspect with the Bones Black minis.
      On this mini I have tried out some new colorshift paints from Green Stuff World and a flip paint (which is supposed to get the same effect) from Instar.
      I probably did not do it right, as I don't think it has much of a colorshifting effect (there is a slight effect, though). The instructions say to use a gloss black undercoat and many, many thin layers to get the effect.
      I did not do that. On a brown basecoat I used GSW Mystic Gold colorshift, and Instar Green Gold Flip, with GSW Tropical Green at the tips and edges. and I just glooped it on! Two or three thick coats of each paint is used here. So next time, maybe I should try actually following the instructions...
      Anyhow, this model will make a good leader for my undead legions, or even a C'Tan for the Necrons.

89031 Whispering Tyrant
      Reaper Miniatures, Bones 2 KS 2013
      Sculpted by Bobby Jackson
      Bonesium PVC
      40mm round lipped base

• By Paradoxical Mouse
      I've decided I need to get better about finishing things. And at speed painting. 

So. Enter my May painting challenge. For every day in May, I am going to paint a townsfolk mini from Bones 4 from start to finish. These minis will be painted to at least a tabletop+ standard but getting to a display standard is the goal.

I only have 28 minis I count as townsfolk from Bones 4,  though...which means the last 3 will be adventurers (1 of which is not Bones 4) for my players and my Starfinder character.

And so, we begin with day 1.
      Today's mini is:

The milk maid! I really wish Bones 4 minis photographed as good as they look.

Here I go!
    • By Metalchaos
      Good day everyone, In the wait of playing Scourge of the Howling Horde adventure, I recently painted these two nuisances. Inspired by Anne Foerster work displayed in Reaper's Online Store, I went with the classical orangish skin tone and dark leather color. I also added war paints on their face and limbs. 07003 Dungeon Dwellers Bloodbite Goblins sculpted by Bobby Jackson.

• Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 95 Guests (See full list)