Sign in to follow this  
turin

'Inversed Drow' colour scheme - inspiration needed.

I struggle completely with skintones, even real human ones, and doing something natural looking but alien is beyond me. For my new elf army however, I wanted to try something new and go with an 'inversed drow' colour scheme - pale skin, with blueish grey tint, and cold black hair (p3 coal black as base).

I am not sure how to transfer that idea into reality; for rank-and-file, with little actual skin showing, going with just a pale skintone base, lightgrey/blue wash mix and highlights should suffice, but the method doesn't really scale to characters with more skin showing. As usual, I would prefer to start painting with characters to set the look, and then simplify the method, rather than the other way round.

These fora were always a great source of inspiration with unconventional colour schemes, and I suspect this is not a particularly original idea, so I hope to find a pixture of something similar to help me transfer the picture I have in mind to actual paint colours.

Edited by turin

The vampire triad would instinctively seem correct, except that it's yellow and the OP is asking for something blue.

I haven't done much in this way myself, but my first instinct is to avoid any blue washes, as blue pigment tends to separate and concentrate heavily in recesses and tends to line too heavily for that reason. You'd want to do layering for this, if you go with a true blue color.

The Hordes game, from Privateer Press, has a whole army of "blighted" elves with ice blue skin, and a range of paint to accompany. My recommendation would be to take a look at their Legion of Everblight pics on their online gallery to get an idea of a do-able color scheme for pale, blueish elves.

I think a few people here have done some Everblight, and may have a recipe or two for you. If not, the PP forum may be able to help.

• Like 3

The vampire triad would instinctively seem correct, except that it's yellow and the OP is asking for something blue.

I haven't done much in this way myself, but my first instinct is to avoid any blue washes, as blue pigment tends to separate and concentrate heavily in recesses and tends to line too heavily for that reason. You'd want to do layering for this, if you go with a true blue color.

The Hordes game, from Privateer Press, has a whole army of "blighted" elves with ice blue skin, and a range of paint to accompany. My recommendation would be to take a look at their Legion of Everblight pics on their online gallery to get an idea of a do-able color scheme for pale, blueish elves.

I think a few people here have done some Everblight, and may have a recipe or two for you. If not, the PP forum may be able to help.

Forget my earlier post. Listen to this guy.

• Like 1

So, when I painted my 54mm Elric (linked for reference), I primed white, gave his skin a few coats of diluted Raler-Downey purple ink, then glazed Reaper Splintered Bone (09273) over the top of that until I got it where I wanted it. You could replace the Splintered Bone with Leather White (09062) which has a more neutral gray tone, or Bloodless Skin (09150) which has a slightly greener tone (to neutralize the purple).

snow shadow, twilight blue (from the grey blue triad) would work.  I like either the midnight blue or better yet deep twilight for the shadow- it has a purple tinge.   I've used that on skin without any trouble, though I'll often add a hint of a flesh tone like fair skin just for a bit of warmth.

sv40yrs1_zpsvvy1pmzu.jpg

That's what I used here, except I glazed over it with a pink to make it warmer.

ds4_zpsdo4v5sro.jpg

I did this one with rosy skin and clouded sea/deep ocean. A little tealer than you might want.

here's one I'm still working on using deep twilight, twilight blue and snow shadow.  I added some fair skin and pure white as well.

lionarmor_zpssrnqsqac.jpg

Hope that helps!  let me know- i love weird skin tone, so if you've got a picture you're trying to copy I can help troubleshoot colors.  Have fun!!

• Like 8

Me talking colours over internet... Sorry, when I said bluish grey tint, I meant it as an actual tint to traditional elf flesh, something like 1/4 (or 1/8) drow blood and not really blue like p3 ice blue (regardless of how much I like it). Elric is closer, but a tone lighter than I had in mind and too purple in the shadows. Interesting that grey shadows in his eye sockets don't show the purple tint and is closer too the mid-shadow - didn't you use anything else?

Vampiric triad is probably close in greyscale, but I think 'living', light grey skin would be more pinkish in highlight and colder in the shadows; I am new to this sort of thing, previosly keeping to established, natural looks, so I might be talking nonsense. Seem like useful paints too have, so I might end up ordering them for future use and experimenting myself.

The idea was that the final highlights would be fair skintone (well, vallejo elfic flesh, but probably very close), with highlights still slightly warm as they are also the areas with best blood circulation, and then going through something like pale lichen (guess, I don't have access to RMS unfortunately) into something?

I'll have to look for examples of bloodless skin, seems like an interesting paint which might work as a wash over 'standard' fair elf skintone.

Started writing before Corporea's post, and I think that you nailed the look with the first picture! Slightly darker and more purple than in my mind, but if you say was the final addition, should be easy enough to adapt to taste :) Also, starting with the colder variant and giving everything a final glaze with some warmer flesh colour to help mask my lousy layering would make me feel right at home, as that's what I almost always do anyway.

I wish I could give more than a 'like', I'm so happy with your answer - many thanks!

Edited by turin
  • Like 2

glazing is like magic- it slightly changes the colors while smoothing out all of the blends.  It's one of my favorite parts of painting!  Just remember, you'll lose some of the contrast when you use a glaze.  The highlights will get darker/less bright and the shadows may lose some of their depth.  Don't be afraid to go back overtop with your darkest and lightest colors to hit a few hotspots to bring back the contrast.  Have fun!!

• Like 3