Sign in to follow this  
CoolAliasHere

14015 - Niriodel, Elven Cleric (Painted for Friends First Character)

Love it!  Great color choices, highlighting, and shading.  Especially on the face and boots.  The bow string is also a great touch.

Thanks!  He left the colors up to me, so I went kind of a generic ranger palette.  I am really happy with how he came out.  I need to find a better way to do bow strings though.  Once I sprayed it with dullcoat, the threads seemed to fray or separate a bit.  Not sure why. 

CAH

• Like 1

that is normal for a material string or thread.   running your fingers over it when it is still a bit tacky to compact it again might help.

• Like 1

I can see why your friend was ecstatic. That is a WONDERFUL creation , BEAUTIFULLY painted in a very in character array of colors. VERY WELL DONE!

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 1

that is normal for a material string or thread.   running your fingers over it when it is still a bit tacky to compact it again might help.

Thanks for the tip!  Next bow I string, I will most certainly keep that in mind!

I can see why your friend was ecstatic. That is a WONDERFUL creation , BEAUTIFULLY painted in a very in character array of colors. VERY WELL DONE!

Thank you very much for the kind words!

CAH

Nice work! The colors are great for a ranger. Ought to be worth a bonus to hide checks. :-)

Right!   +1 Hide check in woodland areas! 

Awesome job and a great gift!

*** So ehhh a promotion might be  a nice response?***

LOL Since I work retail, I have 6 different bosses.  However, he is not my direct supervisor, so there's little chance of that.  Truth be told, I would have painted it up for him regardless, just because he was so pumped about getting into gaming.  Now he's looking at other potential characters and minis.  **mwuhahah** First one's free!

CAH

• Like 3

Nice work! The colors are great for a ranger. Ought to be worth a bonus to hide checks. :-)

Right!   +1 Hide check in woodland areas! 

Awesome job and a great gift!

*** So ehhh a promotion might be  a nice response?***

LOL Since I work retail, I have 6 different bosses.  However, he is not my direct supervisor, so there's little chance of that.  Truth be told, I would have painted it up for him regardless, just because he was so pumped about getting into gaming.  Now he's looking at other potential characters and minis.  **mwuhahah** First one's free!

CAH

Solid strategy!

Soon he will be collecting moar and moar...

• Like 2

Lovely mini, great choice of colors. The gesture itself is grand.

As a side note, I remember watching a youtube video (I think) that suggested using real human hair for bow strings.

So anyone actually tried that I wonder?

I always enjoy it when people put strings on their bows. Well done. your friend is certainly going to have a memorable first character. That for sure. ::):

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 1

This is a nice paint job. All the colors are clear and well-defined, despite being subdued and in a narrow range. The details pop cleanly and the face has a keen expression. Like others, I love what you did with the bow string.

This was a neat present to give!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lazarp
      So this is my first complete kitbash, this one is made of parts from five different kits. I've made it to be used as a ranger for my Rangers of Shadowdeep warband. Hope you like it! 

With the rest of the gang:

• By EvilJames
      I painted this guy up for D&D to be my Warlock. Sadly it may be some time before he fills that role again. Photos still look a bit washed out. :( The Base should look like floorboards and they do in person.
    • By Silvervane
      Finally getting back to painting a bit more consistently and finishing things.  Here is one I finished recently, Theo from Zombicide: Wolfsburg.  I'm multi-tasking him to also serve as the ranger for my ranger's of shadowdeep warband.  Hoping to have my warband finished by the end of the month.

Theo

Thanks in advance for and C&C you give.
    • By Lostraven
      Here is Arnise from the Female Fighters subset of the Bones 4 Core. It was sculpted by Werner Klocke and is also available in metal SKU# 14018. The idea of a green skinned wild forest elf was intriguing to me. I found many reference artworks on Pinterest. I've had the resin tree base for awhile, not knowing what to do with it but Arnise's lean was a perfect fit once I cut the base away.

• By Maledrakh
      As a part of trying to incorporate contrast paints into my repertoire, I started by using contrasts mainly as another type of wash over zenithal grey on black undercoats. Which is good and well. However, I realised that I myself actally never have used them as advertised, globbed onto white or cream undercoats. Looking at pictures and videos of other people painting is fine, but really not a replacement for doing something yourself. After all, there is usually a great gap between theory and practice in most things.
      So I broke open the drawer full of old Bones 1 pc-type minis. These are some of the very few minis I have that are undercoated all in white. I don't even remember why. Maybe I was all out of  black primer spray or something. However, I was reminded why the old Bones 1 pc-type minis were consigned to the Drawers of Oblivion™ in the first place. Bendy. Soft. Shallow details. Faces without noses. Hands without fingers. Weapons made for poking around corners...
      Them old Bones are a quite different beast than the newer Bones. Which are still not pefect, but certainly miles better than alot of the old stuff.
      So I pulled one out more or less at random. I thought what I pulled was some sort of lady druid. Turned out she was a "Dark Elf Wizard". Right right.
      The stark white of the plastic and subsequent primer made the mini very difficult to read. Details? What details?
      At any rate, it was the first to get the prescribed Contrast treatment. No thinning, no nonsense. One coat, straight onto white undercoat.

Which I rapidly found out was a bit of a utopian dream. Mr Shakyhands wanted it otherwise. I spent more time trying to correct overpaints than anything else. In the end (what, maybe all of 10 minutes) I gave up the fiddlywork and adopted a more laissez faire attitude to this.
      I am thinking if I do any more of these, which I most likely will just to get the feel of the different paints, I will be going for speed and single coats for starters. Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Let 'er rip! These minis would not get painted any other way, so whatevah!
      I mean, it went so fast I don't even remember quite which colours I used here. Was it gulliman or darkoath flesh? Was is snakebite or gore-grunta fur? Camo or militarum on the hair? I know it was Templar Black on the leggings, and Iyanden Yellow on the staff. The rest eludes me. This was a fast paint job.
      I did some details with regular paint, such as the eyes , the knees and the knife. The rest is constrast on white.

I did however learn once and for all, that contrast is shiny. She looks positively wet in this picture. On the other hand, one of the problems I have earler had with this type of older Bones is that the detail is soft and shallow, and easily gets obscured by regular paint. Especially when using unthinned paint and several coats for coverage. The contrast does away with all that sort of thing as it is so thin, and actually brings out details I for one have not seen before. (Just like a wash, fancy that!)

So this mini looks perfectly fine considering the amount of effort that did not go into it. Also it shows that contrast paints can work on thinner, shallower minis than the GW chubbies they usually are shown on.

The Prophet of the New Path vs The Defender of the Old Faith. Who will win? Or will their lovemakingup beget a Genesis-like bastard with the power of the Word?

77121 Liela, Dark Elf Wizard
      Bones 1 Core set, 2012, Dark Elf subset
      Reaper Miniatures
      Sculpted by Werner Klocke
      Made in Bonesium PVC
      30mm base.
      available from reapermini.com both in Bones and in Metal. The metal one is way more detailed.
  • Who's Online   21 Members, 1 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)