• Optionally enter a message with your report.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Maledrakh
      The second of the superdeformed Chibi hero minis from the Bones 4 core set that I have painted, here comes Arnise the Elf Barbarian.
      Kissed by fire.

I have no idea if she actually is meant to be a barbarian or not.

Getting that much skin smooth is not an easy task, especially not by drybrushing. ...oh damn I forgot the freckles!

Same height, different scale.

B4Core#118 Arnise
      from the Small World Heroes subset in the Bones 4 Core set, 2019
      Reaper Miniatures
      Sculpted by Gene Van Horne (I think!)
      Made in Bonesium PVC
      25mm integral, sculpted base
      should be available from reapermini.com some time in the future
    • By odinsgrandson
      I got the chance to paint up some miniatures for a project to bring the Modest Medusa webcomic into the minaitures world.
      These were all sculpted by Brian Phelps, and I think every one of them sculpts is super cute.  I'm going to get to do some more of them for backers, since the project is pretty nicely overfunded.
      Anyway, here are all of the very cute Medusa minis I painted for them.

• By Maledrakh
      A bit of a departure for me today. Chibi, a style formerly known as Superdeformed before Anime became popular in the western hemisphere.

I am not particularily fond of Chibi; that superdeformed cutesy manga look that has insidiously permeated the pop culture of today. Sigh. What is the world coming to?

Now they also have infiltrated my beloved Bones...

During the Bones 4 kickstarter campaign, they offered chibi versions of some of their existing minis as free additions to the core set as social stretch goals, adding them one by one as their target numbers for facebooks shares, retweets, tagging pictures or other interactions on social medias were met.

The full six chibi miniatures did end up In the Bones 4 core set. As I am sworn to do the entire Bones 4 core set, I am honour bound to paint them all eventually...gah!

So...I painted the chibi Sophie for starters.

Sophie the succubus is the Reaper Mascot of more than 20 years, and versions of her have beed used for promotions and to mark special occasions since way back when. She has had figures in every Bones kickstarter. In Bones 4 she had this chibi and also a normally scaled mini.
      I went for the classic red devil look, with the opaque but shiny black eyes that I find most fitting for devils and their ilk.

Is it cheating to do the eyes in gloss black?

ARRGH! A giant-headed devil woman! She must be put to the sword!

B4Core#120 Sophie
      from the Small World Heroes subset in the Bones 4 Core set, 2019
      Reaper Miniatures
      Sculpted by Gene Van Horne (I stand corrected by Mr Bob Ridolfi, Sculptor Extraordinaire himself :) Thank you, Bob!)
      Made in Bonesium PVC
      25mm integral, sculpted base
      should be available from reapermini.com some time in the future
    • By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      What is evil, yet cute? a KICKSTARTER that's what.

Since SoC's delivery is in full throttle, it's time to announce the SIBLINGS OF CHAOS. Coming from the dark places of the galaxy, and serving Gods of terrible designs, they march for the total ruination of everything!     from the same team that brought us Siblings of Conflict, Impact! Miniatures and Marchen return with more goodies for us (after delivery of the Siblings is complete
    • By Corporea
      ... The larch?

Heh. No, but I want to try something very different from my preferred style in order to branch out and try new things.  I recently watched Coco (um... several times) and took a liking to the alebrijes, especially Pepita.  I really want Reaper to make a Pepita.  So this is my way of showing how fun it could be!

The plan: A chibi lion with patterns like the traditional Oaxacan Alebrijes.  This means fun bright colors and an attempt at making a piece look like wooden folk art. It can be done!

First step, research.

...and my personal favorite:

Perfect!  I wanted to practice red anyway.  I ended up choosing red shadow, dragon red, big top red, seoni scarlet, volcanic orange, marigold yellow and sun yellow as my colors.

Second step is to pick a mini.

I supported Impact's kickstarter quite awhile ago and almost forgot I had this fellow.  It's the Venetian Lion.

I set forth in an effort to prep the mini.  

Um... it took a lot of prep. I decided to go ahead and attach one wing at the risk of making the body harder to paint.  I sanded for about half a day then filled in all the bubbles and sculpted one set of claws.  Er, I'm hoping their QC has improved since the kickstarter, because this piece took almost a day to prep.  Oddly, I think the 3D print went into the mold un-sanded and with texture, because the large surfaces had a texturing I associate with those prints.  It took several layers of sealer to smooth.

But, I finally got him primed.  Isn't he cute! 

Next, I basecoated with red shadow.  why red shadow, you ask?  Because red is awful at coverage because of its translucency.  So, basecoat with a red brown. This will save you frustration down the road.

Next, layer with dragon red. Leave a few areas of the red shadow as deepest shadows.  Here's where I had to decided to commit to the wooden/statue route, because a real lion would have a darker back and a pale belly, whereas a figure in top-down light would be the opposite.

Still not red?  Never fear!  Also, put a lot of layers of each step.  Lots and lots of layers. Next step big top red.

Next, seoni scarlet.  I like this color.  It's super intense.  Very shiny.  Except it's matte, but you know what I mean.

Boom! Now we're in the red zone.

Now, I need eyes.  A miniature is lifeless until we add eyes.  I like doing them early because they often help guide the rest of the project.

I basecoated the eyes with marigold yellow.  Then shaded the edges with volcanic orange.

Then I added some sun yellow to the center.  Even a chibi eye can afford some shading, otherwise the socket looks too flat.

After that, I drew in the iris shape.

I used red shadow and added a pupil of nightshade purple.

When I was happy with the shape and balance, I filled in the eye with some terra nova tundra and more of the yellows.

Excellent!  I also mixed a bit of linen white into the yellow just at the edge of the iris ring.  Here's a front view:

Last step in eyes if adding the white reflection.  I used pure white for contrast.

So he's sort of a demonic cute lion.  It could work, right?

Then I wanted to try out wing patterns.  For the last 3 days I've been wanting to get to the fun part, so I forged ahead and rushed to this step. As it turns out, that was an error, but it worked out in the end.  I think.

Ok, the key to freehand is breaking down a pattern into something simple.  I started with circles.

Filled in the circles and added some teardrop lines.

added some more lines.

and on and on...

Until I felt like I was getting closer to pattern.  It was then I realized the wing looked way to flat and dull. I needed more shading.  What I should have done was make the feather lighter near the origin to add more contrast. So I glazed over the pattern.  I'll just have to pick it back up again after I'm done with the shading.

Here's the wing with the shading.  I'll touch it up a bunch, then rework the pattern.  But I think I like it better with the change in contrast.  We'll see. I can always paint over it.  Sigh.  That will teach me to skip to the fun stuff.

More later!  As always, feel free to ask questions!
  • Who's Online   27 Members, 2 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)