Sign in to follow this  
Mocha

Arthrand Nightblade • Secret Sophie WIP • 14553

Yay!  It's great to see you posting a WIP on the forums!  I always keep an eye on your blog, but it's easier to comment here, so that makes me happy!

Great choice of colors, and I can't wait to watch it come together!  ::):

• Like 2

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend  ::D:

I was able to make some progress on Secret Sophie Athrand yesterday! I'll need to clean up the chainmail and the bit of sword paint that managed to get on the tunic fold. I'm still working on the bracers. At first I painted them as leather since that's what an archer would usually have. However, as I painted them, they looked more & more like metal bracers in their perfect cylindrical shape with a rounded lip. I also figured this would be an opportunity to paint another piece of metal on the mini and visually balance out the metal on the sword hilt. I really should have done True Metallic Metals/Shaded Metallics here but oh well. 

While there's more work to do on the metals but the real question is, what to do with his hair. Platinum blonde would look cool but I don't want it to look too much like the gold on his dagger. It's either blonde or dark brown. However, I think a blonde color would provide good contrast to the cloak. But I'd risk muddying the cloak and having to repaint sections of it. Eh, I'm overthinking it– I'm gonna go for it!

post-13200-0-42253900-1480347725.jpg

post-13200-0-38747600-1480347734.jpg

post-13200-0-90265300-1480347743.jpg 

• Like 13

That tabbard is disgustingly beautiful!

<3 <3

Thanks! I'm thinking of adding some dust or dirt to the bottom but it's so hard to do that when I've spent time on so much blending. But unless he just stepped out of the medieval laundromat in fresh garments, he'll need some sort of proof that he's an outdoorsman :) 

• Like 1

That color scheme makes that sculpt so much better! It looks really nice this way.

(Your already-nice paint work might also help a little...)

Edited by fectin
  • Like 1

Time for basing! I often base my minis after most of the painting is done– it's risky, but I'm up for the challenge :B):  

post-13200-0-37591500-1480389265.jpeg

• Like 12

beautiful gradients on the cloth and really clean lines and details.  Maybe a warmer brown for the hair?  

I'm going to try this tonight– I think you're right! Warmer brown is the way to go :) 

• Like 1

Yay!  It's great to see you posting a WIP on the forums!  I always keep an eye on your blog, but it's easier to comment here, so that makes me happy!

Thank you Kuro! My creative battery was recharged after ReaperCon and I have a new job where I have a better work/life balance– you'll be seeing more of me around these parts! Feels good to be back :) 

Hi all!

Looks like this will be my last WIP update of my Secret Sophie mini before the final pics are posted and I send him off to my mystery person! While I still haven't painted his [will be warm brown] hair, he's been attached to a painted base and I cleaned up a few of the details. 

post-13200-0-08819500-1481043924.jpg post-13200-0-07837200-1481043877.jpg 

post-13200-0-70393500-1481043936.jpgpost-13200-0-46048000-1481043898.jpg

Speaking of details, here's a zoomed-in picture of the sword hilt/gem. Gems are both challenging and fun to paint and I never seem to get the white dot just right– it's either too small or too big. Oh well! I'd rather it look super-shiny and stand out since it's the only bit of purple on him. 

post-13200-0-33697900-1481051505.jpg

I'm really happy with how the overall muted, darker color scheme turned out! It's nice to paint a miniature destined for tabletop without feeling pressured to execute extremely high levels of contrast. Also, it's hard to tell, but I did paint a bit of dusty brown where the back of his cloak meets the ground. I decided not to do more weathering– I'll save that for another mini :) Other than that, I'll be posting the final pics in the Show Off section of the forum before I seal & ship him off to his new keeper. 

I hope Arthrand Nightblade sees lots of time on the board in an upcoming campaign!

Edited by Mocha
  • Like 11