Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
guangi32

A star to steer by

Recommended Posts

Hello All,

 

Here are the preliminaries.  I am using Traveller 4th Edition, published by Imperium Games. Inc. (1996).  Dice resolution for combat/skill and ability tests will use the mechanics of that game.  There are numerous versions of Traveller, from the first edition to a recent D20 release.  Wandering around the local Game Store I found four versions available.   I found a duplicate of mine in the orphan games bin.  Any of the versions may be used to generate a character and submit him/her/it for play.  I will make adjustments as necessary.

 

Adventure postings will have different parts:

FOR THE GM:

a.  The Computer Information Part which gives definitions from the Federation Encyclopedia, or other data that is pertinent to that segment of the game.  A common knowledge type thing.  Further research is possible in that section.

b.  The narrative, to a pause.  The pause may require a response from the characters or it may be a break off point for an adventure segment.  

c.  GM Notes will be a section for answering open questions.  Information that everyone would have.  An example might be the color of someones eyes, the hull numbers on a starship.  I will also try to keep you up to date if I will be out of pocket for a day or five.

FOR THE PLAYER:

a.  Open communication, things that your character is doing or saying.  Typically things that will affect the flow of the game.  Readying a weapon.

b. Closed communication, things your character might be thinking of that have simple amswers.  Sometimes I will respond by private mail to these, but usually this will be answered in section c above.

 

How you set these elements apart is up to you.  I'll probably use smileys or symbols.

 

The forum rules state that the GM will resolve dice rolls and I am prepared to do so.  If, there is a question, with regards to modifiers, toughness, et. al. mark it as a closed communication in your post, or private mail me.  Also, if there are character questions or actions which need to be private this will be best handled through PM.

 

Welcome to the future!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PRELUDE

CompData:

Historical extract 1: †The Great Accord, a conglomeration of thousands of cultures on millions of worlds, asteroids and space station/cities fell into decay 530 BFp (before Federation Acticles of Foundation). During that time of decay, a new warlike civilization of beings known as the Azact appeared on the edge of the Accord. No peace could be made with the Azact, but the Councils of Government in the Accord didn't believe this until too late. The great Naval Fleets of the Accord finally went to war unhampered by controls from the Representative Congress of Worlds. The war shattered the Accord and the Azact Republic as well. That was 450 years ago

 

Historical extract 2: The Federation of Sentient Beings was founded when the Juilo Republic and the Confederation of Thalion Stars joined forces. †This occurred 70 years ago. †And marks the beginning of record keeping for Federation Systems.( Current year is therefore Federation Year 70) †This event was driven by the emergence of Azact Pirates (Privateers by their thoughts). †Azact piracy acted as a catalyst for more systems and groups of systems to join the FSB.

 

:D

 

Ten Humans sit in a special lounge on the City in Space called Zilj Hathine. †This city is the Financial Center of the Harnic Sector of the Federation. †The Sector in which each of your homeworlds can be found. †This city is a remanant of the Accord, the technology here is beyond the familiar, rarely seen and available to few. †It would be wonderful to tour the City. †But, each of you has recieved a very special invitation from a powerful corpororation, personage or organization. †You would not be on Zilj Hathine otherwise.

 

Some of you came in High Style on the Star Liner SOLAR WIND. †Some of you came in ships you are working to pay off. †Some in ships you can almost use as your own. †But, you are here now. †Waiting for a shuttle to Comitia.

:p

 

And we're off. †This section doesn't leave alot of open ends. †We're still building a character or two. †But feel free to describe yourself for the others if you wish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[Joshua Quarter, merchant Mariner. 5'11", blue eyes, prematurely greying hair that may once have been black. He's nervous, awed, and playing it cool as hard as he can.]

 

Never let them know they've got you rattled

Joshua affects as casual an air as one can while peering curiously around and a truly remarkable setting.

Never thought I'd be here

 

He's generally a friendly chap, this Joshua, and didn't really have to stab too many backs to get the piloting career he'd always craved. He's used to working with little direct guidance, but this.... this is unfamiliar territory, in so many ways. So he's likely to come across as a bit reserved right now, and let others take point.

 

Well, son, there's always a profit to be made. Keep your eyes peeled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PRELUDE 2

Starship Tickets: †When travelling by Starship there are three modes. †High, Middle and Low. †High Passage is the best of the best, food, berthing, storage of four cubic meters, water weight equivalent, entertainment and freedom of the ship in most cases. †Middle passage can be work as an entertainer or scullery if applicable or a shared room with one cubic meter storage. †Low passage is being frozen with the live stock with a trunk holding personal effects and little more. †Prices vary but one parsec jumps (system to system usually) are 15000cr for High, 8000 for middle and 1000 for low.

 

Universal Personality Profile (UPP): UPP is a traveller shorthand for Characteristics. †Each characteristic is listed by a single digit or character (A=10, B=11 etc). †So UPP:34587C would be for a Character with Strength 3, Dexterity 4, Endurance 5, Intelligence 8, Education 7, and Social Standing 12. †

 

† †:D

 

The group continues to wait. †Though a few of you make eye contact, no conversations are started. †You spend the time watching a vidscreen or listening to implant music. †One person actually has a book, with what appears to be paper pages. †Another is working on a hand held personal computer AI12. With time to observe each other, you notice a number of rebreathers and mechanical aids. †While appearing human at first glance everyone here might not be human.

 

A huge man steps in and says "Trip 10 to Comitia, Harnic Rotation date 231 , please present you invitation." †Each of you has one. †It's time to board the shuttle. †It is requested that all extra equipment be stored in the provided recepticals on arrival."

 

After boarding the shuttle and each person taking a luxurious seat a calm, neutral voice speaks out" †Please place all extra items beyond what you are wearing in the provided recepticles. †These recepticals are soft sided expanding cubes which will hold all weapons, tools, computers, handbags, and any such items in secure isolation. †Once closed they are keyed to open on departure from Comitia, you can carry them with you by the convenient handle. †Should you forget to put a contraband item in the recepticle a small tingle will be felt in the vicinity of that item. †And the recepticle will unlock for further stowage. †If you still are not aware of a contraband a higher degree shock will be administered. †A third shock will incapacitate those not in compliance. †You will be able to remove any life support equipment immediately after docking. †Please enjoy the ride."

 

:angry:

 

1. Oops, one of you has pointed out that I am hiding behind split identities. †Guangi32 and Gwangi32. †I am sorry for any problems my electronic dual personality has caused. †Thanks Ladystorm for pointing it out. †Took me a bit to catch on. †I believe that it would be easiest to just use Gwangi32 in PM to me. †If I haven't replied to PM that might be it.

 

2. †I plan to post at least once daily except when away on vacation or such, and I'll let you know. †However, I see my postings being driven by the players. †I have a three day on three day off schedule that means for three days while I am on I will not have a large window of opportunity for posting. †And three days where I will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chapter One: †THE MEETING

 

InTerStar Comp entry:

subspecies variant: in †the presence of sufficient technology it †is possible to augment the background phenotypical expression in †any species to the satisfaction of an individual. †As such, gills may be implanted, light sensing capabilities enhanced and more. †This has been a help in exploration an colonization of new and unusual environments. †These augmentations do not effect the genetic materials of the recipient.

FOR MORE INFORMATION QUERY: †MIYAL HEALTH TECHNOLOGIES-SURGICAL AND GENETIC ENHANCEMENTS, SUBSPECIES VARIANTS-CASE STUDIES AFTER THIRTY YEARS. †

 

Yagolun are "native" to one of six systems where they are the significant majority. †On these systems aliens are welcome but may not leave the cities nearest the starports. †Ships are chased off by Federation Naval Vessels and smuggling is unknown. †The Yagolun body has the appearance of two spheres joined together, interlocking †for a quarter of their volume. †These spheres are one above the other and in an adult a shere is 60 centimeters in diameter. †In the upper sphere two long thin limbs with three joints protrude from the sided while visual sensory organs (ten in all) are evenly spaced about the front and back. †In the lower sphere are four thicker but similar limbs and four auditory organs. †Food processing is similar to humans with two openings, this species is primarily herbiverous. †The sense of touch is limited as is taste. †Communication is visual/auditory, with Yagolun having the ability to see and hear microscopic changes that indicate emotional distress far beyond human norms. †

FOR MORE INFORMATION QUERY: †YAGOLUN-SOCIAL HISTORY, YAGOLUN-REPRODUCTIVE ESSENTIALS, YAGOLUN-CONTACT. †

:p

 

On a Planetiod known as Comitia in an Asteroid belt in the Section Capitol System of Harnic you have an opportunity to see the highest technology of the Federation of Sentient Beings. †On this planetoid no more than a mile in diameter you walk in plain clothing, or perhaps dress uniform. †You can walk in a normal manner, comfortable to those from light or heavy worlds. †The atmosphere adjusts near each creature, to be "homelike". †

 

Comfortable, that is, save for the awe inspiring granduer of the view. Looking up there is the blaze of stars, the universe awaiting you. †Nearer are floating chunks of asteroid. †There, falling rapidly below the †horizon of Comitia is the transport that brought you. † In the center of you sky is the beautiful globe of †Axenteris, a gas giant, mined and worked for centuries. †A source of wealth for the Harnic system. †As Comitia †rotates the City in Space known as Zilj Hathine rises into the sky, a glittering construct of metals and synthetics, glowing with multihued, twinkling lights and a hub of spacecraft activity. †You had been there only a few hours ago.

 

Mechanical people, so sophisticated they can't be called robots, enter the scene. †Five of them set about putting up a table, chairs for eleven and data cards with readers. †One turns and a smooth voice says "Should there be any need for refreshment, call upon us and it shall be fulfilled."

 

You have answered an intriguing offer of employment. †You and ten other beings, all human or subspecies variants of humans. †The offer was vague enough to intrigue you but, gave no indication of threat. †The persons around the table male and female appear as normal Federation Citizens. †Nothing flambouant or flashy or actually all that striking.

 

Enter the contact: †Ugoy Aglan Terek Mnoph//UPP:594A98//representative of Zaphaxon Industrial Research. †UATM (cultural habit to have non species members not use their names) is a Yagolun. †A species that looks different and behaves different but has coexisted peacefully with other species for a historically long period (over 1000 years for Humans). †Remarkable for an attitude of non violence and yet they have not been subjegated by more violent species.

 

UATiM says "I have come to offer wealth and power..." †here there is a pause and the upper limbs make a motion that that seems to indicate something large, emphasizing the size of the offer. †"I have come to offer a decision of mometous proportions..." †a pause. †During this pause there is an uncomfortable feeling of waiting, as if a question has been asked. †

 

One of your group, a man with greenish skin and gill slits in his neck, breaks into the pause "So what's the job Yoa-ate-Him?"

 

UATiM replies, " Three groups shall be made of those here assembled. †And three different goals shall be set. †Each group shall have a ship for the stars. †Each group shall serve as crew of the ship. †You four †(he points at Joshua Quarter, a woman named Sira de Sarc and two others, one in a dress uniform of military service and the other in civilian clothes) ....would crew the FreeTrader BULWEIS, on a voyage to Baryonics System, outside of Federation borders. †If you choose to work with us then more will be spoken."

 

UATiM turns to speak to the others and you can no longer hear him, nor them. †There are four in your group and you are in a position to speak to one another.

 

:D

 

OK then some of you have some PM info you can share if you wish. †I go back on watch tomorrow so I may not get back til later tomorrow evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Well, well well. If this isn't the bizzarest thing ever. Great wealth would, to my mind, tend to entail great risk- but then, that's business...."

 

the BULVIES refitted- at Emplorion??

 

 

Joshua has to wonder if THIS is his new crew?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"You offer us us wealth, but give us no information. Can you tell us if what we are doing will be legal and within the law? I myslef have no desire to say "yes" then find my self on the run from the 'powers that be' afterwards. I admit I am curious, and would like to say 'yes' but only after reasurance that there will be 'entaglements' with the law."

 

  Let see what you think about that you nosey little snit.

 

  And Sira leans back and waits for an answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Political Entry 1. †The FSB has grown remarkably rapidly, with four seats of power at the current time, often in conflict. †There is the Core, made up of three systems, and three Sectors. †The Harnic Sector, (which is where your homeworlds are found) is the smallest of the three sectors and the one which borders the most militant of Federation Opponents. †It seems doubtful that the Harnic Sector will peacefully claim any further members. †

 

Political entry 2. †Not every political group is happy with the size of the Federation and the desire expressed for it to grow bigger. †The Splitter Faction is for each sector to become independant. †While the New Accord Party favors expansion at any cost.

:;):

UATiM returns his attention to you. †

"Risk does not require illegal activity. †In the four persons here selected are far ranging talents. †Should the Laws be bent these persons would best see if a breaking point were approaching. †But even more, what is asked of you takes place beyond the borders of the Federation. †The Laws there are of a personal nature or at least not enforced within the FSB. †Rare is the crime so awful that the FSB will return it's Citizen to non member systems."

 

"Yet" he continues "You do go into danger, only those with foolish expectations would expect to get as much as is offered. †A space craft, many credits, access to military weaponry, highest levels of technology, special and esoteric information. †All this is the reward that could be yours if you choose to go to Barionics, outside the FSB. †Captain and crew of the BULVIES."

†:D

Well there's a quick one. †Need to be off to bed if I'm to get six hours sleepy time prior to work tomorrow. †I'll be back tomorrow night!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UATiM finishes his statement with the offer of a contract. †If you have decided to crew together then Zaphaxon Industrial Research will enter into a binding, and visible contract for your services. †This should lay to rest some of the legality concerns. †The contract is on crystal recorder. †Do you wish to read it or do you wish to walk away?

:cool:

The indication is that reading the contract is binding at least for the mission to Barionics. †If you decline this offer you will all be hustled to the Star Liner SHINING BRIGHT, and will be dropped off outside the Harnic System.

 

(I took a moment this morning for this amplifying information, be back tonight.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh, what the ####. My own *darn* ship!

 

Joshua will read, after one last bit of information:

 

He grins: "Yeah, what the fell... oh, hang on- is there a walk-away clause?"

 

He pauses to assess the others once more.

 

"And THIS is my prospective crew? I'm impressed! I certainly... ah... look forward to working with you all. Hypothetically, a' course."

 

you never can be too careful... oh, yeah, bright boy, trying to cautiously and carefully take a *totally* unknown risk. Luck be with me, eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sira, reads through the contract.

 " Well, Since this "deal" is only for the duration of this mission. I will accept."  She then looks at Joshua "Looks like we will be fyling together." then to the other two. "Well, how about it? Don't get many opertunites like this."

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listens to most of the conversation, his storm gray eyes picking out small details in the room, and the people. His average height not intimidating, but his thin, well trained body is. He's given a copy of the contract and he takes his time reading through it. His black eyebrows knot in concentration, but he looks up, nodding to the Man. "Alright." he says, his voice suprisingly soft and educated.

 

'Fortune favors the bold', that's what it's all about, isn't it?

 

To the Man, he asks: "What provisions are being made to us?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Accepts the offer to read the contract and a moment later, "I am finished reading, thank you, I accept this contract."

 

She turns to the other three, her now crewmates, "It seems we'll be working together. †I am Nicoleesa Green, recently of the training ship IBIS FLIGHT. †Research is my specialty, Astronavigation systems in particular. †I have been checking the data on the Baryonics Systems while this proposal was given, interesting." †cocks head to left, "and who might you be?"

 

cbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YOUR CONTRACT (in brief)

Zaphaxon Industrial Research agrees to enter into a contract binding under Federation Economic Treaties and Interstellar Systemic Govermental Accords with regards to payment of liens, dues and wages as agreed between parties in BULVIES Cooperative (tentatively named) which includes the following members (__your names here_).

 

Zaphaxon desires that BULVIES Coop. to undertake a research mission to find potentially useful technologies. †Full disclosure of said research shall remain the perogative of Zaphaxon, and BULVIES may claim no more than 25% of full value (profits) from exploitation of any discovered technologies.

 

As payment for successful prosecution of said research voyage 30 Million CR or equivalent in properties, bonds or other accounts may be had by each living member of the Coop. †In addition the individual members or the group are allowed to take shares of the Corporate Development of found and developed technology, no more than 7% by an individual or 25% by the Coop.

 

As payment for the attempt, 30 million CR in an account through the Zilj Hathine Interstellar Holdings and Trust, to be transferred as desired by the Coop and shared by all members of the Coop.

:;):

UATiM exudes satisfaction at your seeming agreement. †"On the contract you must place your names and thumb signature. †The thumb signature is not for reading, only for future verification. †(A thumb signature is a simple, thin needle grab of blood, held in the data box. †When the contract comes due this sample will be compared with the new one †and verification will take place.)"

 

"If a thumb siganature is not desired, a body scan may take it's place. †Some verification is required this is FSB Economic Law.  Also, at this time you may choose a different name for you bold sociopolitical unit and replace each occurance of Coop with your chosen name."

???

Well it seems my workday is haunting me again. †I need to get off to bed. †But tomorrow night I will have more time as it is the end of this three day shift. †Something to keep in mind is that Astronavigators, like the old ship navigators, carry their own programs. †Beside the basics in the navcomputers that is. †These additional navigation programs can be worth a great deal of money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jushua bows slightly to each, in turn. "Sira, it will be my priviledge. Nicoleesa, I know a little about astrogation, but my expertise if you will, are in piloting- so we will be working closely together. Again, it will be my priviledge, and I expect, educational. And you, sir"

 

He turns finally to the quiet one: "from your poise and calm, I would judge you to be a potentially very dangerous man- perhaps you are our insurance should the whole thing go pear-shaped?"

 

He grins. "And if things get out of hand and my own unfamiliarity with combat prove inconvenient, what is the name I should squeal, to get your attention?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×