Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
guangi32

A star to steer by

Recommended Posts

Sira will opt for a retinal scan, if that is available, otherwise the body scan will suit her fine.

 She turns to her "new" shipmates. "I am Sira de Sarc. My skills are a bit varied, but I can assist in the research and science areas. " She speaks with a cultured voice and caries herself like one used to moving in higher circles. She also moves like one who is used to working out and might not be a stranger to "fighting" as one would think from a member of the "upper" class. "Perhaps we should retire to an area were we can talk and get to know one another." She will look at UATim and says "Is there such an area?"

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Marine seals the contract with his thumbprint, and turns to the group that seem to be his crewmates. "Well, hello there. My name's Arn Darvin... As for what skills I'm bringing to this expedition, I'm not quite sure. This seems to be a ship for science." Arn looks down at his clothing. "Um, excuse the uniform, I quite literally rotated out this morning, and had this invite handed to me." He picks up his cover from a nearby table and says. "Well, whenever you're all ready... at least I don't have to unpack, then repack." He gives a half smile, and indicates he's ready to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicoleesa submits to the thumbprint as well, and waits for another more secluded location is available for discussion purposes.

 

cbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chapter 2 The First Jump

a. †BULVIES: this vessel is a 200 ton Free Trader, a merchant class vessel it's hull is streamlined for atmospheric flight it is equiped with a jump drive, class 4. †(This standard class allows for fuel on every fifth jump, maximum distance on one jump is a parsec, which takes a week). †Normal speed interplanetary manuevering (as compared to combat or rescue speeds). †

† †The vessels made by this manufacturer have fuel scoops installed and so low grade fuel can be harvested from gas giants. †This vessel has a laser turrent and a sand caster defense module mainly for anti pirate action. †The vessel has seven high passage cabins, 12 middle passage cabins and six low passage cylinders, three general cargo bays and one specially hardened cargo bay. †

† † Also there are two landing craft areas. †On the standard Free Trader one landing craft bay would be equipped †with the ship's boat, a fifty person emergency craft capable of limited interplanetary travel and emergency rations, suits and beacons. †The other landing craft are typically for cargo moving, and vary from vessel to vessel.

 

b. †BODY PISTOL, these are special little concealed weapons with limited range. †Often they are keyed to an individuals fingerprints or other identifying feature (sweat, blood, etc). †They are usually capable of five shots and have no reloads, reloading is a complicated process and ammunition in excess on your person would be a give away.

:D

 

Having agreed to the terms and consented to an identification verification process you are hustled off Comitia and into the shuttle. †This time you have a cabin for just the four of you. †When your recepticals open and you begin returning you personal property to pockets and such you each discover a small hand held messenger plate. †The communication devices each state the following:

†"You have been assigned a Cabin on the BULVIES. †In your cabin you will find specialized equipment you may need on this trip. †Each cabin has been fitted with a key code so only the assigned person may enter, without permission. †Further details on the mission and desired results have been placed on the ship's computer but will only open when the vessel is in Jump Space."

† †Five minutes after the screen message appears the screen goes blank. †(These little tech 13 machines are capable of holding 5000 words of text. †Typed in from voice and the message can be translated to any one of six thousand languages. †They can hold the message indefinitely or delete it without possibility of recall, you each have one now.)

† †As you get off the shuttle you are accompanied by polite "guards" who help you carry what luggage you have to a ground transport which wisks you through Zilj Hathine. †

† † At the Shipyards you find the BULVIES. †The Ship stands out from the Yachts and Sleek Far Cruisers like Marigolds in a Rose Garden. †But, it's a sturdy wedge of a ship and soon you should be leaving Zilj Hathine. †

† †Before you leave there is the thirty million CR opperating funds to consider. †How much needs to be taken along? †In the close systems the banks will transfer funds but you will need "spendable capitol" elsewhere. †Also, you will each have to look into your cabins and at the rest of the ship to see what's what. †At the forward accomodation ladder a yard worker asks names and hands a key to each of you. †Perhaps there are things to be purchased.

:D

Still in the information stage here. †When the ship moves from Zilj Hathine it will be moving toward adventure and conflict.

 

I plan to give each of you your private inventories. †To share as you see fit. †Also, as you look through the ship and it's computer you will find info. †The vessel came empty of cargo, the old crew of four has departed, there had been one six wheeled carryall, a grav sled with four ton capability and a two person air car in the second landing craft bay. †Standard escape craft in the other. †And the BULVIES has only been in the shipyard for eight hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joshua goes through the BULVIES as his first priority, checking, noting, condition of all critical components and areas. He looks over the engines and cargo bays, life support, and other areas a pilot considers important; those central to manouver and landing/docking for instance. Subject to satisfaction here he inspects the cabins, checking over the unsecured ones, noting the locations and arrangement of the private berths, searching for some clue to the minds of his employers. He is excited, of course, and just as inevitably, frightened, and goes through this pre-flight ritual to ease his fears. That done, he will go to the cockpit and familiarize himself with the controls and nav equipment. He wonders if he will bump into Nicoleesa there?

 

brains, brains, brains on this trip. I can anly assume that military fellow is no grunt either. Gotta check everything out; don't want a critical system fritzing on us. Besides, any non-standard fit-out is a hint as to what our new employers are about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sira will go to her cabin and stow her stuff. Take inventory of what is there. She too will the  go check out the BULVIES, seeing Joshua taking care of the nav. stuff she will attend to other areas. The galley and medical area. seeing what is there and what maybe needed.

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arn goes to his cabin, and secures his gear.

 

At least I get a room to myself for once...

 

Seeing as he's finally out of uniform, he throws on a comfortable jumpsuit and a medium-blue overshirt. He keeps his boots, as they're wonderfully broken in. After that, he turns to look at what is already waiting for him in the cabin. Once the inventory is complete, he'll make his way to the Captain's day cabin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick stowed her gear in the cabin assigned to her headed straight to the cockpit to assess the computer systems there.

 

Upon the entry of Joshua she looks up, "Good, you're here.  It looks like things are in order, at least so far.  I'd like to examine the systems a little more thoroughly before making that a definite statement.  I still want to look into the research files to confirm a few things I remember about our destination.  Shall I continue, or do you have something else you wish done?"

 

She tilts her head thoughtfully as she awaits a response.

 

cbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. †Astrogation: this intensely mathematical skill is equated to drawning a line between two moving points using delicate observations and long strings of calculations. †The line is the jump path. †Usually more than one jump is required to complete a voyage as the Jump Engine size and design limits the overall distance per jump. †This is also a major feature of the Astronavigators programing challenges. †All navigators recieve basic programs for the personal navigators logs. †Some keep them with the ships they serve. †Others on carryalong computers. †But this programs change little by little from the basic packages as the navigators get better at their jobs or find more direct jump paths. †These Navigation Logs become priceless and are protected by defence viruses and security programs. †

2. †Piloting: this skill is about manuevering the vessel; through normal space, through atmosphere, docking, landing, taking off. †They are as different as the lines they draw.

3. †Communications: †Intersystem communications move at the speed of jump ships. †Comms is carried in the vessels as no "radio" system has been developed.

† † :D

You have wandered around the BULVIES and have come together on the bridge. †Though the vessel can carry a crew of seven officers and ten crewers there are only the four of you. †Sufficient for minimum safe manning under FSB Law but something to consider.

 

Systems Check indicated:

Jump Drive: †100% †// †space drive: 100% †// †NavComp: †100% †// †InfoComp: †100% †// †laser system: †100% † // †sand caster: †100% †// †Auxillary power: †100% †// †GravGen: †100% †// †life support: †100% †// †galley supplies: †four months per person †// †waste storage: 000% †//Jump Fuel: †100% † // †standard systems fuel: †100% †// †normal drive fuel: †100% †// †Beacons: †100% †// †Communications: †100% †// Emergency generator: operational

 

You have a cargo. †Ships emergency boat in Landing Craft Bay One is gone replaced with a refitted light fighter craft. †And in Landing Craft bay Two there are three grav sleds with capacity five tons, five tons and twelve tons, some excavation gear and a trenching vehicle (wheeled) and a Ground Effect Vehicle outfited with an anti-infantry laser turret and a projectile gun shooting explosive rounds capable of penetrating standard battle armor. †The GEV can carry five needs a pilot and a gunner.

† † Each of you has a comfortable chair on the bridge. †It is the pilots job to bring the vessel away from the docking area in the Shipyard.

† † As maneuvering engines are brought on line the Portmaster's Office opens communications, "FreeTrader BULVIES, please file transit plan." †(This is a common practise where a ship is given the option to tell where they are going and get, 1. Insurance that if they don't show up it will be noticed as other vessel will carry word. †2. A possibility of getting a MailRun where communications for a system are carried and broadcast on arrival, this usually warrants a waiver of dock fees.)

:D

And there it is for tonight. †I spent a bit of time on backstory for each of you and I do believe that I have enough adventure options developed for awhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Nick, I'm satisfied with the ship- at least, its condition and state of repair, but if you want to double-check, go for it. You're the navigator, after all."

he lowers his voice "but you'll have noticed we're heavy on non-standard equipment."

 

Joshua is still in his comfortable, black clothing, but looking more relaxed now he's ensconced in a sturdy, workhorse trader.

 

"I think I have some idea what each of us is here for, an inkling anyway; but I know that this here is the navigator, and I'm the pilot-" he waves to indicate Nick and self "and as soon as you all feel ready, I can take us out of port here, and she can get us about anywhere after that"

 

Happy with this, he stretches into the pilot's position and asks: "Do we want this trip officially marked, or no? I don't see why not, but then.... I'm not sure. Maybe I'm being obtuse."

 

I have this itchy feeling we should keep it quiet, though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"If I may suggest sir, we might want to appear to be unconcerned about our trip and give a destination of the Shorak System. †Once there we can continue farther without sharing our destination. †I would futher recommend Thermic as our second destination for reasons I will report soon."

 

cbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sira walks in towards the end of the conversation.

"Perhaps we should take an inventory of every thing we have on the ship. See if there is anything else we may require. Additional food items that we like or prefer. And most imporantly we should find out what skill we each bring to this 'mission'."

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This is an informational follow up as I wait for your reactions. † I have sent some of the inventory by PM and this is the general info on the living section of the vessel. †Your four inhabited cabins have things in them. †The galley has synthesizer materials and real foods stuffs for four months of meals for the current crew of four. †Water is recycled with minimum loss. †There are a few empty cabins, a galley and a sick bay. †There is a bridge, shipboard emergency room and the engine maintenance room. †There are standard tools, ten very basic vacuum suits and three fire fighting exoskeleton suits (also starship basic provender). †The turret for the ships laser may be used to control fire when it is crewed (most accurate method) or it may be controlled from the bridge. †The sand caster defense mechanism is controlled from the bridge. †Another thing I am interested in is how much cash you plan to remove from your Coop Account. †Because of the nature interstellar commerce acctual money must be used vice eletronic or other virtual money. †Banking credits can happen for in system banks, but you will be travelling through many systems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The route suggestion is sound, and Joshua will go along with it.

 

He also slaps his forehead: "We're going to need "cash" credits, I should have thought of it sooner. And, judging by the fit-out of this ship, we might need some tricks up our sleeve- explosive tricks." He nods to indicate Arn "You seem to be best qualified for that, perhaps you should go shopping? We can meet back here for departure if and  when everyone's done"

 

If everyone lelse is fully kitted up, Joshua will be glad to take off ; otherwise he dashes for an ATM-analogue to get the consensus quantity of "cash", returning ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×