Sign in to follow this  
guangi32

A star to steer by

Nick continues to familiarize herself with the ship and the contents of the computers aboard it.

After all the business transactions have been completed and all are back on board, she gives a short report to the three others.

----------------------------

Report:  The Barionics System

Barionics is not found on any of the Standard Navigational Programs.  We will need to find the astronavigation program for the trip to Barionics.

The Barionics system was used for military research by the Accord.  There was a documented battle in that system at the end of the Accord Azact War.  The names of the vessels involved are documented and one of these vessels has turned up in the salvage yards of Thermic Parts and Rehabilitation of Starships, Incorporated, in the Vilisoy System on the Centerside edge of the Harnic System.  This vessel is named the RELIANT WARRIOR and is a destroyer class Accord Navy vessel.  The latest known location is in quarantine in the deep space holding area of TPRS.

There are additional Astronavigation Programs on the Stand Alone computer in my quarters.  They are free of defender viruses, and have been loaded to the Astrochart Program.  One of these programs can get us to Thermic from Shorak System.

In my coursework, I discovered an interesting side note that may be relevant.  The prevalent rumor on the research being done in the Barionics System is that there is a new technology.  One that allows for near instantaneous travel from system to system through Gates, this is significantly faster than our current Jump Navigation.  And leads me to question the motives of our employers.

----------------------------

cbs

Political Entry 3-  The Imperialist Movement, made up of the very privaledged class is a move toward a totalitarian government.  Small group but powerful.

:D

Please list for me the amount of credits you are taking.

Whether you will file a flight path.

If you file it before or after the shopping junket.

Sira wil take out some oney too. Apon return she says. " I Agree with Nick. We should say we are heading for the Shorak System. In route we should check our ship for any "bugs" before we discuss our employers in depth. I think we may want to look for any other surprises too, like self detinating devices. Call me paranoid, but I to wonder about our employer's 'honesty'."

Arn comes back from whatever it was he was doing in his cabin, and listens to the conversation about walking around credits. He does not jump towards a cash machine as the others do, and instead quietly pulls up a personell list, and which departments they're in. Arn's quick eyes find the people he could use, and waits for a quiet word with the captain...

Joshua, walking tall with the thought of being tentatively /assumed/ captain, will, if the others are in agreeance, withdraw all the available funds. He  will also confer with Arn regarding their ability to survive possible violent confrontation.

He defers politely to Nick's seeming excellent acquaintance with the nav-system and astrogation, but would like to ask the group their thoughts on this:

" I'm assuming our job is to be at least partly exploratory in nature. I would dearly like to get a hold of a better remote scout for the craft, and a few items for our own use that might ease scouting, reconnaisance or theft, as need be. Also, we are effectively running a bare skeleton crew, especially as regards maintenance. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding sub-contactors? In light of certain... observations...... an electrician or engineer might be of use."

Arn speaks up at this informal meeting.

"Well, As you know sir." he defers to Joshua a moment. "We are at a skeleton crew. While it is possible to run the ship, even do well at it, fatigue levels would skyrocket quickly. Mistakes would begin creeping in, and with a skeleton crew, it would be harder to make mandatory mantience on some of the second-tier machinery. We would of course keep first-tier online as much as possible, life support, power the mainframe software, etcetera. From our shipboard weaponry, we can only assume these would be helpful if we were defending ourselves while quickly running away from the fight. From my experience, if we just ran from a pirate, he might let us go. If we ran and shot at him, he would be more inclined to come after us and want to peel a strip from our hide." He looks at the group, and says. "I believe we've found my job: Keeping you all alive. I'll live under the assumption none of you have a complaint in this?" he smiles briefly, then continues his report. "I have compiled a list of personel we /could/ use in a Damage Control situation, but most of them would already be nessassary in other departments. It's a case of juggling five eggs with one hand. It can be done, but I don't like that many eggs in the air, sir." He looks at the others in the group. "Begging the captain's indulgence, of course. I would like to have small-arms training for all the crew. Beginning as soon as feasable. We are dealing with a neobarb tribe of locals. But even a neobarb with a spear is a threat if you don't know how to use small arms. You might object to the idea, but it is a useful skill. I myself don't relish seeing a one-sided battle, but if they attack, we will defend."

With that Arn nods to the Captain, and politly waits for things to end.

Barter/Trade and money in the Federation. †One of the biggest problems in the economy of interstellar trade is the need to carry acceptable trade items. †Electronic transfer of funds and "paper" or "plastic" money is restricted to planets or at best full systems. †There a repository of wealth can guarntee the vouchers. †Once you leave a system to travel to another, you must have real value. †The smallest bundles are precious metal coins, gem stones and in some cases uniquely made promissary notes (FSB Trade Guarantee). †You can also carry cargoes in lieu of money. †Some items are always tradeable, tobacco, chocolate, cofee, sugar, medicine.

:;):

A team of you arrive at the Bank. †It was discovered that any transaction of monies in denominations larger than 20,000 CR must be done in a bank outlet, with real people. †As you walk you discuss the issue of people. †Obviously this job may be a bit much for the four of you. †You may want to hire a crew and take on partners. †It seems the signs that some larger motive than profit could be fueling your employer. †Perhaps you don't want to be tied to the mundane chores of shipboard life when you need to be planning bigger things.

But, you certainly have enough skills to fly this ship in normal circumstances. †And it would be easier to find a good crew in the Shorak System which is a trade hub for the entire sector.

You transaction is relatively easy. †In fact, the Bank was perpared for your arrival. †The bank offers two FSB Trade Guarantees (10 Million CR each) and a box of coins on a small grav sled. †They require two of the Coop member to verify their identities before releasing any money to you. †Once released your accounts are closed. †Oddly, this little clause had been left out of your discussion with UATiM.

You still have some time to shop or you can leave. †It has been ten hours from the time you got off the shuttle from COMITIA and you are a bit fatigued. †If you remain at the dock you will be charged 5000 CR for every 24 hours (currently on 18th hour). †You can take off, fly into the asteroid field and tie off to a rock and nap and talk. †You can set a course to a Jump Point, let the Navigator program for another system and leave Harnic Sector behind. †Or there are other options.

:cool:

Sorry, I was unable to post more last night. †I had begun a longer entry and in moments a gut bug had taken me down. †Then today is the first of my three shifts. †I'll be back tomorrow night.

After a few very simple rolls, based on Jack of All Trades and Computer skills you can determine that the vessel is not bugged, nor is there a self destruct mechanism. †Though you can overload the Jump Drive and blow up if you try hard enough.

A normal Free Trader works with a crew of five to seven. †One Captain (usually a Pilot, with some navigating skills) a First Officer (usually a Navigator with some piloting) and a Second Officer (computer, admin, still training in piloting or navigating), A Chief Engineer, an engineering assistant. †Then cargo experts and weapons techs depending on the job. If the need arises there is bunking for thirty.

Most of you have some combat skills which can be honed with simulators and conversions in an empty cargo bay.  While searching the vessel for bugs a cargo is discovered.

I recently dug up a Dumerest of Terra book by E. C. Tubb in a used book store, it's an Ace Double, and while not great literature it sure uses the Traveller Vernacular.

Joshua smiles. "Well, if I have your confidence, I'd like to take us out to the asteroid belt, where we can rest up rent-free and do some plotting. We can head for the appropriate jump-point from there. Later, I'd like to pick up an additional crewman for electrical and/or engineering expertise, but that shouldn't be essential to begin with. I'll need... we'll need to put our heads together, if we're to succeed at anything."

He looks each of his new crew in the eyes squarely- not only to guage their reactions, nor only due to his own superstitious feeling that he might gain some measure of their character; but to assure them that he is up to this task. He's sure of it.

"I concur. Lets leave port before they think we want to move in permenently." she quirks a smile here. " and since we all seem to be defering to your, obvioulsy greater knowledge in this area, I think we should consider you the captian. "

Lady Tam

"FreeTrader BULVIES, FreeTrader BULVIES, this is Zilj Hathine Port Master 234. †Have you departing shipyard delta delta 45, what is your destination? †Will you be filing a flight plan?"

:;):

Zilj Hathine is a relatively busy starport but it handles mostly in system ships and small interstellar Free Traders and Yachts. †The bigger starport which handles the interstellar liners, navy vessels and Scout Service Base is on Klaatu, a planet closer to the system center star.

† †The bridge of the Bulvies is arranged in a half circle. †The flat side of the room is the ship's systems and display screen. †It is as if there were a window there. †This display typically copies from the pilot view screen for all to see but any of the readouts can be shown, or all four at the same time (piloting, weapons targeting, planetary scanners, Astronavigation). There are four stations around the circular wall, weapons, navigation, comms/scanners, engineering. †The pilot station is in the center of the space facing the main screen while the other four are backs to the main screen facing the in wall equipment. †On either side of the pilots station there is and observation chair.

† †:;):

Liftoff is flawless, the BULVIES manuevers through the Yachts and Pinnaces coming into and out of Zilj Hathine without incident. †At 200 miles from the city the Portmaster's Office Operator 234 finishes his last transmission with,

Thank you for visiting Zilj Hathine, you are in free fly space, have a great day, out."

Having no piloting skills, Sira will take a seat and watch the others as they prepare to leave. She idly wonders what this endeavor will bring.

LT

The view screen shows the silvery steel and lights of Zilj Hathine cut off and switches to the view of the asteroid field. †The biggest thing in the view screen as you move into the field is a particular reddish planetoid. †On the surface there is the evidence of mining, remanant structures and some Forever Lights, lamps sealed against vacuum with mini fission batteries.

Joshua this ship is dancing better than ever. †All the thrusters must have been cleaned and the computer programing upgraded.

A convenient mooring buoy near the abandoned mine seems ready made for your rest stop before travelling to the jump point. †

Nick in calculating the various jump possibilities your best programing options are: †1. direct method, no stop over systems for fuel, three jumps, travel time twenty one standard days, fuel consumption 61%. †Misjump possibility less than 8%. †2. indirect method, five jumps with a system at leg two and three, both with refueling capability. †Refueling required, will burn 100% fuel capacity, thirty five standard days. †Misjump possibility less than 3%.

Nick's calculations show up on a screen to the right of the main view screen for everyone to see. †You have a little time before you decide which course. †You plan to rest here and it will be a twelve hour flight from this location to the jump point. †Anticollision and Avoidance Sensors will sound alarms if a ship or other object moves to within 500 miles.

:D

Good Evening all! †I hope you had a nice weekend. †I worked and got sick. †A spiffy combo, but over for now. †

A scan of the ship for bugs and other betraying devices finds only a single file in the computer titled Additional Directions. †It flags as a possible virus or triggered program to take some controlling action. †

You may rest for awhile 500 mile setting for alarms will give you time to prepare if another ship is moving in. †But how long will you rest?