Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
guangi32

A star to steer by

Recommended Posts

Joshua has no real proficiency with weapons... perhaps he'd better stick with the group. He has a knife in his pocket, but more because it's a useful and well-worn tool than out of any expectation of fighting his way out of trouble.

 

"I'll tag along, if Nick is amenable, maybe we should all stick together? On the other hand, if she'd prefer to stay with the ship, then I'll stay put and look up the local communications network. If no-one objects, I'd like to get hold of an engineer and a cargomaster I can trust."

 

So, if Nick is going, Joshua will stick with the group, but if not, he'd prefer she had someone to watch her back- besides, he can achieve a lot from right here. He'll be looking for an engineer and cargomaster, preferably ones he knows, at least by reputation. He also sees no reason not to pay-off the "extra security". Extra security is good.

 

"The ship has some comms devices we can use to keep in touch- they're in a crate here somewhere, I've no idea wether they'll fit in a pouch or pocket since i haven't actually unpacked them yet..." If practical, he'll distribute them....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

clarification and questions

1. Paying Collector Hul 4000 CR for docking fee and one day's security?

2. Splitting team, please identify who is going where.

3. If and when you go to the Brewery please identify the mode, just so you know-in Firbanx the GEV in Landing Craft Bay 2 is street legal if noticeable. †As are the Grav Sleds though they are slower.

4. †Amie will in all likelyhood not be at the Brewery. †You are aware she is rich and rarely ever meets with people in person, save for Council Meetings.

5. †The hidden file you detected before jump was indeed Amie's message and it has disappeared, apparently.

 

I'll be lurking late tomorrow. †We are in Corpus Christi doing family Holiday stuff early (I work on Thanksgiving). †Have a wonderful day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. yes † 2. no split † 3. using GEV † 4. †okay † 5. †okay

Nick will come along to the tavern with the others, she gets the GEV ready for the trip planning on doing the driving unless someone else speaks up.

 

"Captain, when you're done paying these fine souls, a word please." †when he is done paying... "that file that we wondered about has disappeared from the computer, it appears it was the message from the lady."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"relieving"

he pauses

"It's, uh, it's good to have... someone... watching one's back."

another pause

"Folks, I just thought of something, and it's not a nice something. Once we're on the road, I'll share."

 

[OOC: nothing more to add- everybody take a breather, catch up if you need to]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It look's to me like everyone is going to head out for the Claser Vagul Brewery. †I will procede on this assumption for now with a little bit of window dressing

 

The guards seem competent and professional. †There will be three on watch and they will change out every six hours. †Their quarters are in a building contiguous to the hanger. †Designed for security personnel and a part of your payment. †If you wish do extend their services a simple communication with the codeword "EchoTango and a number" †the number will be the number of days you will pay. †They have given Joshua a secure circuit communicator, range twenty miles. †They will send a readout message every hour "Alpha Charlie" for all clear. †There is an emergency signal as well, a beeping noise and a temperature change. †This device is worn like a wrist watch.

 

The GEV is a grav vehicle and as such can get you above the pedestrian masses. †Your view of Firbanx is good, †it would be spectacular if it was not such an ugly city. †Flame belches from flare towers, pollution stained buildings none taller than three stories stretch to the horizon. †Some collapsed in ruins. †There is the cacaphony of mixed voices, engine noises and sirens wailing. †The streets are strewn with trash, sentients of all shapes and descriptions push against each other on the pedestrian trails and the the vehicle lanes are packed with slow moving wheeled vehicles. †And... is that a body laying in that alley?

 

You made the right choice by taking a vehicle over walking. †And this GEV is the epitome of comfort. †It is an industrial security vehicle vice a military surplus. †The seats are comfortable and it has that new vehicle smell. †The industrial, chemical stink of the city will not intrude through the atmosphere scrubbers on this vehicle. †There are entertainment consles at each of the four passenger seats. There is a gunner's seat, a pilot seat and a copilot seat. †(Think small recreational vehicle size here, or big van, with space to move around, head and leg room.) ††

 

Nick guides the grav craft with expert skill, avoiding other grav craft, occasionally checking the readout map from the disc they brought, it will be at most a 10 minute trip. †Arn looks at the laser rifle mounted in the roof turret above the gunner's seat, the seat he took, it's a bit much even for a city like this. †This vehicle was designed for anti pirate patrols at remote mines or prison duty perhaps. †It's nice to have the very best. †Joshua looks at a scan of the Claser Vagul Brewery which is known for the Jazz Club atmosphere and the BEST dark beers on the planet. †There is live music all day every day and meals with authentic materials, not processed. †Sira is looking out the window, at the mooring bay for the BULVIES and notices two figures pointing at the GEV. †One speaks into a wrist communicator and dissappears into the shadows of an alley. †The other leans back, against a wall and looks back at the mooring bay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Well, then let's proceed together then. I am anxious to see what this woman wants of us." Sira pauses as if thining. "Joshua, Arn, you are more liekly the more experienced of us. What weapons should we take with us for protection?"

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Sira, whatever you feel confident with, that you can hide in a pocket or under a coat. I haven't handled a firearm for years; I'm better off without one. They scare hel out of me, to be honest. Hey Arn, this's your field, not mine."

 

and what of Nick's miss-spent youth? Did it involve body-pistols?

 

 

He climbs aboard the GEV with a small bag. "I've scrounged some comm-units, and I bought some of these..."

 

He holds up a pair of slim visor-like shades, peering through them into an alleyway's shadows, immediately wishing he hadn't...

 

"Low-light, infra-red, light, comfy, and in a range of fashion colours, kids. Pick one you like and keep it; we might as well have them on hand. i figure we can get acclimated to them now, while it's safe, rather than later.... uh, did I just say safe?"

 

His face turns bleak; there's something he's thought of.

 

"While we, ah, cruise along here, I should tell you all. I've been looking at this whole archeo-tech drive idea as a merchant mariner, thinking of all the new opportunities for trade that would open up. But if jump-points were to be made irrelevant... Arn, isn't that what they call a choke-point? Kinda like a gauranteed defensive position that any fleet will have to come through? What if an invader didn't have to get around through known coords anymore?"

 

He looks around.

 

"Have I missed something here, or am I right? What would that mean? Not just in the grand political scheme, but to us, here, now?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arn nods to Joshua as he climbs into the GEV. "True. But think of it more as a position the defending fleet knows the opposition will be coming through. If this drive thing can enter and exit hyperspace without a gate, and depending on the range of this thing, you could mount an attack on any system you wanted to."

 

Arn pauses, thinking.

 

"Aside from the political aspects of such a devise, the purly military aspects are stunning. The defenders would have to picket every system they deemed valuable against a strong force. It could, quite literally cripple any Navy. How many ships could they muster against such a devise?"

 

Arn rubs his lips in thought.

 

"That's not a prospect I enjoy. Not in the least."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick listens to the conversations around her as she pilots the GEV to the brewery.  

 

After securing the vehicle in an appropriate parking location, she turns and accepts the items the Captain brought for them all.  

 

"Do we have a plan, or are we just walking right in?" she asks. "The implications of the post-jump technology are staggering, we do need to consider those before we turn over any findings."

 

cbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The parking for vehicles is remarkably secure. †You receive an ID token after parking in an underground shelter. †This will preclude a fast escape by vehicle. †Your other option is to park somewhere in the slums that surround the club and walk . †Not the recommended option. †Anyone who brings in a vehicle is considered a VIP and so your group is ushered through the line of people waiting at the entrance. †A host imediately appears. †He smiles and guides you to a table on the overlook a partial second floor which is open at the center allowing the upstairs clients to view the action on the main floor from above.

 

"How may I be of service," says the pleasant faced young man who showed you to your table. †"You will find the menus and list of services on the screen implanted in the table in front of you," he continues smoothly through his welcome spiel, "Tonight we will have live entertainment starting in just an hour. †Our cooks are the best in the city and our beers are beyond compare." †He finishes with a sincere smile.

 

Waiting: † You notice that many of the other customers are armed with blades or pistols. †The club slowly fills, the lower area faster than the upper floor. †The ceiling is a transparent material and you can watch as the sunlight fades and the stars come out. †Another new pattern of wheeling constellations reveals itself to you. †How many different night skies have you seen?

 

Arn and Sira can point out "hidden security" personnel. †Other guards are quite obvious, in armor and with riot guns, and so are easy to ignore as part of the scenery. †

 

When you mention the Ale the host's smile locks for a moment. †"Yes, well that is a special product. †I will have to ask in the storage rooms for that particular brew. †Please wait and I will return as quickly as possible." †

 

He returns with a four bottles without labels, the glass is blue. †"Please enjoy these on the house" he says with a smile. †"When you are done take the bottles to that door" here he points to a nearby door "and ask for a refill."

 

As you are sipping a pleasant honeyed stout the lights go down and soon only the stage lights remain, highlighting only a woman at a piano. † She begins to play, quietly a guitar follows and the drums gently joins in. †Then she begins to sing in a breathy, seductive voice. †This song is stronger, pulling at emotions of hope and sadness in turns. † The electric guitar finishes the song with a plaintive wail and the next begins. †The mood remains in each song, sadness and hope, longing and love. †As the lights come up there is a standing ovation. †Even if this sound was not your normal favorite it was cathartic, you fell uplifted, you feel good. †An hour or more has passed and you drinks are empty.

 

When you ask for refills you are ushered into another part of the building. †The business side. †Guntier meets you in a spacious office. †"If two of you would volunteer I will scan your identity to match your original contract identity scans and we can get down to business."

 

Just at that moment a beeping alarm sounds. †And then a scream of pain. †Stamping and running sounds come from beyond the door to the office and the commlink that Guntier is holding squawks out, "We're having a situation, looks like a group of four or five of the Starnack Gang are after a rival on our turf."

 

"I could use your help it seems," states Guntier. †"My guards are not up to a firefight they are for show mostly and the real security won't be here for fifteen minutes." †As he is speaking Guntier pulls a shotgun from a rack under his desk. †"Regardless of whether you will help I have to go."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh bloody marvelous. once again, I've brought a knife to a gunfight. I should'a brought a freaking grenade

 

"I'm a ##### businessman not a ##### gunslinger!"

 

Joshua, quite forgetting the ladies present, unloads an impressive vocabulary gathered at many a port, and none of it nice. He'll be embarrassed later, but for now he's "this close" to panic... but trying to hide it.

 

He turns to Arn and salutes: "Orders, sir?"

 

He clenches both fists to hide the shaking. "What the blazes do we do now? Ordinarily I'd bail out, and "my crew" with me-" He waves toward 'Gung Ho Guntier'

"-but our contact...."

"Guntier! Throw me a shotgun, man!"

I HATE guns!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guntier looks each of you over, eyes settle on Arn and his laser pistol.

 

"You would be the most help," he says. †"The customers will join in soon, being the clearing house for half the dirty deeds contemplated on the ball of mud does have draw backs."

 

He then gestures to the rest of you. †"This may be an ambush set up for you people," he says in a strained voice. †"So look out."

 

He stops talking, working up his nerve. †He isn't in a hurry to face the firefight either it seems. †But, gathering his courage and gesturing to Arn they move away. †With other gestures indicating the three of you should hang back a bit as a reserve unit, to pull them out if it get's too rough.

 

Guntier and Arn head down the hall, turning off the lights as they go. †Your light vision/light amplifying glasses kick in and the surroundings become dim but you can see quite well, and in color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sira draws out her weapon, and follows Arn and Guntier. Looking back at Joshua, she says, "If you are not comfortable going into a fire fight, it would be best if you wait here. You can bar the door and stay behind the desk if need be."

LT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disaster has struck.  Arn is wounded or dead and you are in flight.  A full scale attack had hit the door to your hallway just as Guntier and Arn had arrived at the door.  Arn had gone down fighting and Guntier had retreated.  Your cover fire with the body pistols allowed him, and you to get back to his office.  

 

At that point, the alarm had come over your comms unit from the security force with the BULVIES.  They were under heavy attack, then it cut off.

 

Guntier, wheezes "I am betrayed, all my security was gone,"  he moves to his desk and pushes an array of buttons.  The closed office door hums with energy.  "It's charged up and will keep whoever that is out there for awhile."

 

"But, we need to get out of here and now!" he says and gestures to a hole that has opened in the floor.  "I have a transport that can get us to my ship" he says.  "The SPEAK EASY will hold us all.  She's my last refuge and has saved me before this."

 

The hole opens into a grav speeder.  Far more economical than the GEV you are leaving behind.  It flashes from a hidden hanger within the Brewery and before you can really react you are on the SPEAK EASY, a converted Scout Explorer class spacecraft, shooting for orbit.

 

"I would never have expected the Imperialists to move so openly, this early in the game.  I'm sorry for your losses, the man, Arn, I don't see how he could have survived.  And the ship.  We may get that back.  They'll be looking for information, nothing else.  I suppose the tie to MiLady Amie will be found."  He shrugs, "Shalan gives and Shalan takes away."

 

"We will be in contact with Milady's ship soon.  Time to choose sides or run away it seems."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...