Sign in to follow this  
Jasper_the_2nd

Jasper paints Turtles?

Working on a colour scheme for something else, so I figured I'd start small and see how it goes.

post-8239-0-50543700-1479998911.jpg

Here's one of the 77270: Spikeshell Warriors, slathered in brown liner.

And here's the plan:

post-8239-0-51983800-1479998912.jpg

Isn't he cute!?

• Like 11

They're the world's most fearsome fighting team

Those spikey bits sure make them look real mean 

When the evil players attack

That big ol club will give em a whack

Painting Reaper Monster Turtles

Heroes gonna catch hell... TURTLE POWER!

• Like 4

The real turtle is very cute with that coloration. I have a feeling that miniature will look pretty fearsome when painted up like that.

• Like 2

Drowns out the nasty Christmas music that started playing at work this morning

• Like 2

This has moved them up a few notches in my paint queue. Well done, sir. Well done.

• Like 2

well, painting after 10 pm isn't really my thing, but it was after 10 before I had a chance to sit down to paint last night, so I played with some colours a bit, then went to finally watch the latest Westworld at 11....

post-8239-0-23251000-1480081938_thumb.jpg

First just testing out the spots on the face and hands.  I'm not sure the base Walnut Brown is dark enough, but it isn't bad.

Shield Brown was my second try on the face and neck, seems about right.

Phoenix Red (I think) was used on the hands.

I'm not sure what to do with the plates on the arms and legs....would it look better with the red colour scheme carried through, maybe fading to a darker red/brown, or should the plates match the shell colouration?  Thoughts?

post-8239-0-62065300-1480081936_thumb.jpg

and the back.  Just working on the colours right now, not getting the blends right or anything.  Linen White is too white, need something a little more yellowy/tanish I think....

Thoughts?

I've never tried mimicking colours straight from a nature pic like this before.  It is interesting but I find myself second guessing my choices....

• Like 8

Made some more progress...I think.

Decided to do the plates on the arms and legs going from a Chestnut brown up to the Phoenix red.  But I'm not sure if I should spot the rest of the legs or leave them dark.

post-8239-0-91178400-1480215424_thumb.jpgpost-8239-0-54383500-1480215423_thumb.jpg

Is the spotted leg too much?  If I went with the spots they would likely get bigger and blotchier, that was just a quick test.

I also put a rough coat on the shell.

post-8239-0-20828600-1480215426.jpg

I thought it needed a bit of red/orange in the progression.  It will mostly disappear in the blending, but I wanted a bit in there to tint the browns.

Thoughts??

• Like 4

I love the shell and I love the armor plates.  The dots work great on the hands, but the legs fall flat for me.  Outside of seeming too bright, they seem like something that would only be "elbows/knees" outward, not all the way up.  That's my mind working though, feel free to ignore me as you see fit!

• Like 1

I think it's a great colourscheme.

It works very well.

Maybe only the spikes, plates on the legs and the most potruding points should be red.

Don't overdo it.

Look at the real thing..it looks like there is some more orange there.

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 1