Rogue Stars by Osprey publishing

Chaoswolf

Care to expound upon that a little bit?

What's it play like? What's good? What's not quite so good?

The harder bits - the switch from IGO UGO or alternating environment could be a bit of culture shock.  There are also a lot of tables to remember - a good quick-ref sheet and a good roster sheet ameliorate these problems greatly, and can be found on the files section of the Rogue Stars Fan Page on Facebook.

The good bits - Play is very fluid and interactive.  Every time the player with initiative rolls to activate, there is a fairly even chance of the opponent getting to act/react as well, and the artificial concept of "a game turn" is completely absent.  This in my mind is a very good thing.  NPCs act whenever initiative switches, which is whenever the acting player decides to pass or when the opponent steals the initiative to become the acting player.   Scenario creation is robust, and the campaign structure is easy without being bare bones.

Edited by Froggy the Great
  • Like 4

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/8/2022 at 2:41 AM, CaptainPete said:

So... I just got a copy of this. What are some things you think I should know before I get started with it?

Look for some decent vehicles rules, it's the one major thing lacking from the book.

I've been trying to contact someone who used to play at the game store before Covid lockdowns started, haven't seen him yet and I'd lost my copy of the PDF of the various rules that were created at the store and he was the guy who had, largely, been managing all of them and had created workable rules there.

You can work things with various rules for some smaller things, but don't work if you want to be able to board and exit them, meaning power armor and bikes.

It's largely been my excuse for using my WotC Star Wars minis

• Like 1

I did notice that there's no rules for vehicles but I don't really need them. At least right now. I do have some folks on motorcycles but I'll look at what rules to steal...

It does look like I'll be able to do my "Raygun gothic" crews like I wanted and they don't need vehicles. Now, I need to sit down and try to figure out how to make a character.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

I did notice that there's no rules for vehicles but I don't really need them. At least right now. I do have some folks on motorcycles but I'll look at what rules to steal...

It does look like I'll be able to do my "Raygun gothic" crews like I wanted and they don't need vehicles. Now, I need to sit down and try to figure out how to make a character.

Most of the vehicle rules that were in the document were more of handling things as part of a scenario such as a cargo lifter or similar things that would be in the area already.

We also had a transport start option for things where you could move and position a vehicle and deploy there rather than normal starting points

• Like 2