• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick morning update.  I was called at 1 am (not technically off backup on-call until 8 am) and was up dealing with an issue until after 3:30.  So slept in.

And now we're heading out to get my wife up to Level 13 in Ingress before tomorrow night (if you play Ingress you know why this is important). Just 69 fields to go. Sooner they are done, the sooner I can not have to leave the house again and just paint  ::):

So likely no paint updates until evening.  Hopefully my right hand will wake up completely by then; woke up and was completely asleep...

And 14.0, just leaving that there as a reminder for me....

Edited by Jasper_the_2nd
  • Like 3

Home and painting.  After my first session:

post-8239-0-22280600-1480468878.jpg

Went back over all the pieces (except the base, I'll get back to it later....) and hit any spots I missed with the brown liner. It's amazing how you can go over and arm for 10 minutes, turning it ever which way, until you are positive you have it covered, then you go to put it down and notice three spots you missed.

Now I've started base coating the main body.  Walnut Brown for a base for the skin, and Blonde Shadow for the belly plates.

Question for those that have done Khanjira 7 day challenges: did you keep him apart for the majority of it, or did you start piecing him together as you went?

• Like 10

Another session done (I have to take a break every hour or so for my neck/shoulder.  Luckily it is good about reminding me; once the shaking gets too bad, break time).

post-8239-0-59525100-1480472306_thumb.jpg

A few more coats on the belly plates. It is just about a solid coat now.

And a bunch of work on the left arm.  Plates/spikes/etc are base coated in Mahogany Brown (I think...I'd double check but its way over there in the other room.....).

Claws are the red/brown now...thinking they may go black/dark elf skin triad instead for some variety.

The big shoulder plates I think will match the back spines, which will be different.....

So, so far I'm quite enjoying painting something this big.  I haven't had to use my magnifier yet!!  ::D:

And I normally seem to waste a lot of paint.  I'm constantly going "Why did you put out that much paint?  You're only using it for <insert tiny bit here>."  With this guy, I'm pouring out a giant puddle, and then having to go back to the bottle for more....and that's just one piece of the fig!

Not sure if I'll do any more tonight.  As mentioned I had crap for sleep last night, so it might be a better idea to get a good sleep in.  Tomorrow is a "stay home and paint all day" day (pending unexpected issues of course) so I want to be well rested. And maybe I'll google some stretches or something to help relieve pressure on the Ulnar nerve.  Sure would be great to have feeling in those two fingers tomorrow.  (Ring and pinky, if you were wondering.  At least it's my right hand, not my brush hand.)

• Like 15

Looking great so far! I really like your colour choices!

As far as to assemble or not to assemble - I kept him in pieces for painting and that worked very well painting-wise. Especially with pre-existing hand troubles, you're only going to put more strain on yourself by making pieces heavier by attaching them and certainly you don't want to be holding the entire model to paint him. However, definitely dry-fit him if you have not already done so - there's a certain order to putting in the back spikes that you don't want to be figuring out at the last minute if you're pressed for time. Also be aware that there will be pretty significant gaps so you definitely need to decide for yourself if that's going to bother you or not.

In theory, the gaps didn't bother me enough to deal with them.... but certainly had I actually intended on entering him at Reapercon prior to a few days before, I would've wanted to do some significant gap-filling.

• Like 6

Looking great so far! I really like your colour choices!

As far as to assemble or not to assemble - I kept him in pieces for painting and that worked very well painting-wise. Especially with pre-existing hand troubles, you're only going to put more strain on yourself by making pieces heavier by attaching them and certainly you don't want to be holding the entire model to paint him. However, definitely dry-fit him if you have not already done so - there's a certain order to putting in the back spikes that you don't want to be figuring out at the last minute if you're pressed for time. Also be aware that there will be pretty significant gaps so you definitely need to decide for yourself if that's going to bother you or not.

In theory, the gaps didn't bother me enough to deal with them.... but certainly had I actually intended on entering him at Reapercon prior to a few days before, I would've wanted to do some significant gap-filling.

that bit I bolded? That's what I was talking about when I made that reference to clamping. I managed to minimize it, but it's something to bear in mind when you get to that point. And I think I started with the bottom set of ridges..? Wow. It wasn't that long ago, you'd think I'd remember the order!

So far, this is coming out awesome; but remember to get sleep! Sleep is very important, especially near that last push.. ^^;

• Like 4

Well you have a nice winter wonderland day to stay inside in front of the fire and get some painting done!    Roads are sloppy covered in heavy wet slushy snow!

Some people are lucky and don't have to go to work today!

You could take a vacation day too!

So, yeah, a bit of snow down....

post-8239-0-21094600-1480513050_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately there are a couple of downsides to it.

1) We've already had half a dozen or so power bumps.  If I lose power, painting will be harder...at least until I get the generator up and running, and run power to my painting room.

2) That's a lot of snow, and my snow blower still needs to get hooked up the the mower.  So I may need to take a couple hours this afternoon to go do that (and hopefully not kill my back in the process...that thing is heavy.....)

But for now, time to paint!!

Reminder for me, 10.8

Edited by Jasper_the_2nd
  • Like 7

Now it's dark  (and I was just listening to Anthrax too).

post-8239-0-41859000-1480515787_thumb.jpg

Was just highlighting the armor on the Incinerator while waiting for the Walnut Brown on all the body parts to dry...

Off to the basement.  Don't mind the noise, that's just the generator....

Updates will be sporadic, I have to use my cell, don't have a genny for the garage, where my internet service comes in.

• Like 11