Rules light Fantasy RPG

I'd second a suggestion to look at Fate Accelerated. You can get it free (pay what you want with a minimum of zero) or for a mere $5 in paper. But, the Fate system seems to be a love it or hate it thing, and running it well involves a fair amount of improv by the GM.

If you want to go for a D&D retroclone, I like both Labyrinth Lord and Swords and Wizardry, with a slight lean toward LL. PDFs of the recent WOTC reprint of original D&D are $10, plus $5 for Greyhawk. I grew up with it and automatically fill in the blanks, so it might not be quite as simple as I think of it as (and i've played within the past 18 months, so I'm not relying on ancient memory unaided....)

• Like 1
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd second a suggestion to look at Fate Accelerated. You can get it free (pay what you want with a minimum of zero) or for a mere $5 in paper. But, the Fate system seems to be a love it or hate it thing, and running it well involves a fair amount of improv by the GM.

Yeah, FATE basically cured me of ever wanting to play Rules-light games again.

• Like 3