I just got Reaper MSP Bones Colors Full Set

Shin Okada

This one,

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Bones%20set/sku-down/09966

Now I am wondering If I can read some "how to" article and such for this paint set. I am not new to miniature painting but relatively new to MSP. And wondering which color is meant to be used for what, say, a highlight/shade for a certain color.

I know MSP is using the triad system. But how I can ascertain which color belongs to a part of specific triad? I tried online store search by colors' names but many of them don't show the triad which the color belongs to. For example, typing "Barbarian Flesh" in the search box just shows the color itself and not related colors.

• Like 3

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know MSP is using the triad system. But how I can ascertain which color belongs to a part of specific triad?

You purchased the 54 color set of the MSP Bones Paints. They are not arranged in triads.

The only MSP line of the three MSP lines that are arranged in triads is the MSP Core Colors with SKUs 09001-09300.

• Like 2

While the Bones Paint set is not arranged or packaged in triads, just pick out 3 that can be your middle tone, highlight, and shadow color.  There are many in that set where you can put 3 together to get this even if they are not marketed that way.

Triads are really just putting together 3 paints that cover the shadow, mid tone, and highlight!

• Like 6

The best thing to do is learn to mix paint to get the color you need.  There is not always a bottle of paint that is a good choice for a highlight or shadow color(even with the triads).

Your blue is to dark for the highlight you want add a little white, too light for a shadow add black or another darker blue to get the perfect shadow.

It is not that hard to mix paint. If you use a wet pallet, so much the better. For the last 20 years I have used  a 4" X 6" X 1/2" piece of wood.  I put 2" wide masking tape over the top and peel it off when it is covered with dried paint. Just apply new tape and you are ready to go. Works for me, but the paint does dry out faster than a wet pallet.

Just remember that if you add white to red you get pink, not a light red.  For red try an orange or a flesh color for the highlight. Green mixed with red works the the shadow.  The other colors should be OK.

Try it!  Not as hard as you would think.

Each miniature you paint is a learning experience(even after 20+ years). Don't be afraid to try something different. There is always Simple Green. LOL!

The new MSP Bones paints are my favorites!

• Like 2

• Artists

If you like MSP paints and like having lots of colours, there's no reason you wouldn't enjoy the addition of the Bones line. It complements the HD line very nicely and is also HD style paint. Some of the colours I particularly like are the purples, several of the browns, the reds (more orange reds than the slightly blue reds of the HD line, and I will choose an HD red every time unless I'm being super particular about colour), the ruddy and ebony skin tones, and the yellow metallics. I have used and liked some of the blues, though in general they're a little more saturated than blues I typically use so they aren't coming out a lot, and ditto on the greens. 

I had reason to swatch out the colours when I first got my set, and scanned and photographed these for others to be able to see if the colour selection suited their needs. One day I hope to do something like this with all my paints...

https://www.facebook.com/pg/wrenthebard/photos/?tab=album&album_id=854201311373054

• Like 7