Randomness XI: Rampant Randomness Randomly Rampaging

Froggy the Great

1 hour ago, klarg1 said:

[At least they're feeding me well. :poke:]

#notarealproblem

They fed us really well in the Navy.....right before they gave us bad news.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 9

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll leave this in randomness since it is just a random comment based on Zink's post (second para.).  Don't read his post if you don't want to read a sad and awful outcome.

I'm glad some schools try to shock new drivers into seeing what can happen if they try to drive while drunk or texting or otherwise impaired or not watching the road.  When I was in school, they had driver's education which covered that stuff.  Unless you have a good instructor, the dangers of driving aren't emphasized enough.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

Having been a few times, yes they are pretty amazing! As is the science center. I want to go to the Chihuly garden and glass museum thing, I've heard it's beautiful and my kids are old enough to appreciate it. ^_^

Ooo, MrBoot and I went to the glass museum on our honeymoon, it was super amazing!

2 hours ago, Grayfax said:

We've all been recovering from today's "Getting To Know You" thread... the Mangled version...

Yeah.... :down: Even though my worst experience was nothing compared to so many other peoples', I'm still all quivery and tearful after reliving it while I was typing it up.

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

The secret to seeing the zoo animals awake is to go on cold, dark, wet, rainy days.

Not only will you have the place mostly to yourself, all the animals that sleep away the hot, bright day will be up and active.

It was rainy off and on while we were there, plus it was during the day on a school day, so there weren't many people. I was pretty astonished at how many of the animals were up and about. All of the lions were out sunning themselves on the big rocks. :)

Huzzah!        

--OneBoot :D

• Like 8

I have seen driving accidents too often to take the issue lightly.

I just realized my youngest cat is apparently keeping my sick cat clean. She got bathed the most often as she always had a low level of stink, but now she actually smells cleaner than ever. Kinda made me smile when I realized it.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, TGP said:

At some point I want to see pictures

...fascinated to know how hexagons will ultimately compose a great coat...

It's not entirely of hexagons.  The leather part extends from just under the arms to slightly below the waist, at which point it flares out into skirts.

Putting it together it looks so cool I'm tempted to try making a cape or something like this (I would need lighter weight leather, though).

7 minutes ago, Flamehawke said:

I have seen driving accidents too often to take the issue lightly.

I just realized my youngest cat is apparently keeping my sick cat clean. She got bathed the most often as she always had a low level of stink, but now she actually smells cleaner than ever. Kinda made me smile when I realized it.

I found today's Getting to Know You question a little too painful.  I've had two driving experiences that still make me shake a little, and I haven't had anything half as dreadful as some of y'all.

As for the cat thing ... Awwww. 

• Like 7

The leather hexagon thing still sounds cool, though.  I've sewn an unseemly number of itty bitty fabric hexagons together to make a map tapestry and I'm only just over half done.  The idea of doing it with something larger and not requiring a seam allowance is intriguing. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, OneBoot said:

I have it on good authority that both the zoo and the aquarium in Seattle are amazing. ^_^ That's where my sister and her family live, the ones who were just visiting, and they go regularly. My niece told me several times that there's meerkats and komodo dragons and sleeping tigers and sleeping lions and monkeys. Apparently, the big cats are always asleep when they go. :lol:

Huzzah!        

--OneBoot :D

The woodland park zoo is alright, but you should also see about going to the point defiance zoo in Tacoma. Their aquarium isn't as good as the Seattle aquarium, but it's still quite good. The octopus in both always hide when I'm there anyway. I love zoos and aquariums.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Froggy the Great said:

We had to watch a mandated 5 hours or more of slideshows of drunk-driving accident victims taken in all their morbid glory at the accident scenes.

Ah, yes, the old driver's ed videos. We had to watch a few of those, in all their 70's and 80's glory. They need to shoot some new ones of those in HD, showing modern cars and stuff. I know a lot of kids in my class scoffed at them because of the fact that all the cars were pre-airbag and the like.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sylverthorne said:

Yes. And wildly silly. The science is nutty, the mere idea of un-mothballing a ship in two hours is ludicrous. You could make /so/ many drinking games ....

But I don't watch them for accuracy. I watch 'em because they amuse me, and I do like to watch the old salts making the youngsters jump. ^^

I know they didn't mean it as comedy, but I mentally rank it with Down Periscope for silly Navy movies.

Actually, if you ask a submariner what the most accurate submarine movie is, Down Periscope come in second after Das Boot.

And as for the driver examples, every summer by the main gate to the base, there is the crumpled car of a drink driver displayed to portray the dangers of drinking and driving.

• Like 7