Randomness XI: Rampant Randomness Randomly Rampaging

Froggy the Great

23 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

I figured basing, but I also wondered if it was for your lawn. 

That was my first thought, I confess.  I thought, well, maybe a mix of different varieties of seeds works better or something.

Occasionally my family uses a phrase (possibly we heard it on MST3K?): "Close captioned for the humor impaired"

I need that sometimes.  

• Like 9

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Pingo said:

Or, well, as my family calls it, "Kicking Some Demon Backside Day".

In certain branches of  Christian mythology the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter Sunday is considered to be the day the dead Jesus descended into Hell, wrassled a bunch of demons, and retrieved the souls of good people condemned to Hell only because they predated Christianity.

When I was a kid, I heard about this, and read up on it. Apparently, Jesus at one point kicked down the doors of the iron city of Dis, as featured in "Dante's Inferno." Which I first read due to its featuring in an old issue of X-Men...

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, canuckotter said:

We bought my Dad an Instant Pot for his birthday but he keeps calling it a Magic Pot and we keep saying that that stuff doesn't go on sale until next July. Someday that joke will get old. ::):

I bought my Mom an Instant Pot last Mother's Day and she loves the thing. I new she needed one when a meal she brought to my oldest sister's house in her slow cooker spilled a bit on the way. You can kinda lock the lid on an Instant Pot if you need to bring it somewhere. Handy feature. I use mine all the time, mostly in pressure mode for bone broth, beans or pulled pork. My mom cooked some Mexican style pork in hers today, even though I mostly ate her salad and roast duck. 

• Like 8

There's a famous Lindy's Restaurant in Manhattan... It's the original source of the "Lindy's Cheesecake" mentioned in the words to the show "Guys and Dolls"... (The current incarnation, however, is not in any way descended from the original, the name was chosen to cash in on the nostalgia.)

And there's also a famous diner in Keene, NH called Lindy's, that's had about a dozen presidents visit it...

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2

I had this stupidly vivid dream which involved walking around in a restaurant named Lindy's.  It had a logo I could draw  I got such a good look at it. 

There was  all this delicious food behind glass displays...

The atmosphere was very 19th century...

There was a lot of green leather upholstery ...

Little brass signs...

The staff wore costumes that involved lots of red checkering or stripes...

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Pingo said:

Occasionally my family uses a phrase (possibly we heard it on MST3K?): "Close captioned for the humor impaired"

I need that sometimes.  

Sounds like the sort of thing they had on the title screen at the start of Futurama episodes.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, TGP said:

I had this stupidly vivid dream which involved walking around in a restaurant named Lindy's.  It had a logo I could draw  I got such a good look at it. 

There was  all this delicious food behind glass displays...

The atmosphere was very 19th century...

There was a lot of green leather upholstery ...

Little brass signs...

The staff wore costumes that involved lots of red checkering or stripes...

***Yes!

Another victim celebrant of Taste the Weasel!****

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Unruly said:

Wii U is essentially obsolete. They've completely discontinued production on new units already. They discontinued production on them last year, and in November they said that the last units bound for North America had already been shipped out. Then in January the last ones had been confirmed as having already been sent in Europe and Japan. So for all intents and purposes it's dead, even if Nintendo doesn't come out and say it explicitly.

I should clarify.  If the e-shop stuff ports forward, then it's not entirely dead in my mind.  Physical media has the advantage that you could trade it in or loan it out, but e-shop stuff is tied to a specific user and possibly console. 

I mean, it might be a moot point since our Wii U is sitting next to our Gamecube so we can still play every Nintendo game we've purchased for the past 15 years, but I know where I stand with physical media and I've been burned by download games that get deleted from reality and can never be re-downloaded.  And since Nintendo has released absolutely no info on how the e-shop will work for the Switch, I'm leery. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

This is a big part of the reason I haven't upgraded beyond an X-Box. I don't want things I pay for to just disappear. Same reason I don't really play online games on the computer like WoW or CoH (RIP). 

Eeeeeyeah. The idea of Everquest was appealing, but I did not like the idea of buying a game and then paying rent on it every month. I did for WoW, but only for a while. And then we started having games that launched... and stayed afloat awhile... and then failed... leaving a fifty dollar game as nothing more than a coaster.

And then they started doing this with PLATFORM games. Nertz. I still have my old Playstation One, it still works, and it'll even play USED games!

• Like 7