Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XI: Rampant Randomness Randomly Rampaging

14 hours ago, NomadZeke said:

Poking my head back in briefly tonight to say: I'm still around. Just real life has kinda been crappy lately. Although some of you saw my post on facebook, this is the TL;DR version:

Hide contents

Last Sunday, May 7th, while my father was out of town on a business trip that weekend, me and my mom were going to see my grandma at the nursing home. We called before we left as we always did, and headed out. By the time we got there (about 15 minutes) there were paramedics and police at her room. Apparently a couple minutes after we called, she had a massive heart attack. Today was the funeral. This whole last week has been nothing but a blur with all free time/resources being redirected to family things. So I apologize to those waiting on both the RPChallenge for this/next month, and to my Spring Exchange partner, things are simply running late.

My sympathies, I wish you strength.

2 hours ago, Pingo said:

Not going to Beekeep.  Again.

But oy.

Da! I understand...

Stay cool and think of puppies!!!

• Like 5

I ache all over, even the muscles in my hands hurt. Husband came home today during his break to help clean and get some lunch. He told me to take it easy when I left but I have a full page list of things to do so not sure how easy I can take it. I'm slowly chipping away at it though. I may break out my "special" lotion and put it on the most painful spots. I'll smell like pot the rest of the day but if it helps with the pain I guess that's a trade off I'll make.

On a slightly different but related note, there is construction going on outside the apartment complex. It's been happening for a couple of weeks now. They did have it down to only having two lanes and the center lane open for traffic. Now Husband tells me that they've got it shut down to one lane for both directions, I guess they may just be replacing the whole section of road but I haven't actually been out since they've done this so I'm not really sure. This means however that Husband won't be able to come home during his breaks for an undetermined amount of time until they get it sorted out. Which means I'm by myself the whole week and the majority of the cleaning will be left up to me. And with the pain that I've got going on I'm just hoping that I can get enough done before the weekend. Sibling is coming over again this weekend to help finish things off. It's nice to have the place cleaner I just wish it didn't have to happen so fast. We've donated 4 boxes of random stuff, mostly books, and quite a few bags of clothes that didn't fit anymore. We've also got about 4 bins of stuff to go into storage.

We'll see if we have to move part of the game collection in the next few days, we may be able to consolidate them depending on what has expansions that can fit into core boxes. Hopefully, we won't have to sell any of it right now if at all. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

I ache all over, even the muscles in my hands hurt. Husband came home today during his break to help clean and get some lunch. He told me to take it easy when I left but I have a full page list of things to do so not sure how easy I can take it. I'm slowly chipping away at it though. I may break out my "special" lotion and put it on the most painful spots. I'll smell like pot the rest of the day but if it helps with the pain I guess that's a trade off I'll make.

On a slightly different but related note, there is construction going on outside the apartment complex. It's been happening for a couple of weeks now. They did have it down to only having two lanes and the center lane open for traffic. Now Husband tells me that they've got it shut down to one lane for both directions, I guess they may just be replacing the whole section of road but I haven't actually been out since they've done this so I'm not really sure. This means however that Husband won't be able to come home during his breaks for an undetermined amount of time until they get it sorted out. Which means I'm by myself the whole week and the majority of the cleaning will be left up to me. And with the pain that I've got going on I'm just hoping that I can get enough done before the weekend. Sibling is coming over again this weekend to help finish things off. It's nice to have the place cleaner I just wish it didn't have to happen so fast. We've donated 4 boxes of random stuff, mostly books, and quite a few bags of clothes that didn't fit anymore. We've also got about 4 bins of stuff to go into storage.

We'll see if we have to move part of the game collection in the next few days, we may be able to consolidate them depending on what has expansions that can fit into core boxes. Hopefully, we won't have to sell any of it right now if at all. 

Hang in there!  You can do it!

• Like 9

Just now, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Hang in there!  You can do it!

Thanks! If I can make it through Thursday I should have some down time Friday if things are deemed acceptable to me. Another plus is I'll be able to move my painting area to my bedroom which has much better lighting than the living room. One wall is basically half window that lets in tons of natural light as weather allows.

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

That all sounds really familiar...

Getting ready to head back to Baltimore next weekends for Balticon and getting more stuff done at the house... I've got a page long list of things to bring back, including my OTT light.

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Unruly said:

My cat likes to alternately bite and lick my hands when I'm petting him. I'm pretty sure that the licking is him checking my flavor, and the biting is his checking to see if I'm dead yet because he thinks I'm delicious. And once he starts doing that, he uses his front paws to hug my arm and digs in the claws if I try to pull away. I just know that if I'm at home when I die, he's going to be eating my face within about 30 seconds of my last breath.

And I'm fine with that. I expect my cats to be plotting my demise. Otherwise I wouldn't want them as pets because it would mean that they're weak and unworthy.

That is completely not what is going on in your cat's little kitten Brain but...whatevs...

• Like 8

On 5/15/2017 at 9:00 AM, Chaoswolf said:

IT didn't specify what it was, so I have no idea. My laptop seems to be ok, though.

It's been 2 hours; either they have no coffee and the Haminister has expired, or he's busy learning the ins and outs of his new job. Let's hope for the second option.

@OneBoot---yay for painting!

ETA---still no joy with the home PC, though. I may have to replace it.

Does anyone know if they've managed to un-suck-ify windows 10 yet?

@Chaoswolf go Linux and don't look back?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, TGP said:

That is completely not what is going on in your cat's little kitten Brain but...whatevs...

I know. It's grooming behavior.  But the little guy is just such a ball of snuggles that he's gotta be hiding some insanely murderous instincts in there. You always keep an eye on the unassuming ones...

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Sad to hear of your loss Nomad Zeke.

Condolances to you and your family.

This. 

::(:

Hope it is getting better, or not as  bad.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SparrowMarie said:

I'm sorry you hurt.  Caffeine and advil help during the day, long hot showers at night. Good luck getting it all sorted out. 

• Like 7

Aheh.  So, remember pretty much exactly a week ago I was griping about White Wolf's design problems and their rather cheesy dodging of actually explaining how to make all the vast, brilliant genius conspiracies they swore up and down were riddled throughout their creation?

On 5/9/2017 at 9:32 AM, Pingo said:

... The contradictions, inconsistencies, and just plain untenable situations beggar belief.

Like the vampire books.  They return, again and again, to dark intimations of elaborate, centuries-long conspiracies that pull strings and manipulate in secret for dark and nebulous purposes, causing fear and paranoia as people wonder who, who is manipulating events in a grand game of shadowy purposes.

Then they never give any examples*.  This is no way to set up a rulebook or help a GM.  In a game you have to actually give mechanics that hold together and reasonably logical examples so people can build on them.

*(Okay, there is one.  The Giovanni have a careful centuries-long conspiracy ... to get really, really rich.

If you include the Mage books, there's one other: the Technomancers have a careful centuries-long conspiracy ... to get people to accept "technology" over "magic".

These are not the terrifying, looming, atmospheric conspiracies of inscrutable dread referred to in WW books.  I'm just saying.)

And then I said (emphasis added):

On 5/9/2017 at 11:29 AM, Pingo said:

Actually I love detailed answers like that.  Sounds like a cool arrangement.  Sorry you didn't get to do more with it.

I love delving into history's corners too, and putting in details that make people's heads explode later (often when they find out they are connected to reality).  Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" comics scratched my itch for intricate weavings of fiction and reality, and Alan Moore has done some similar stuff.

My main gripe is that nowhere in the World of Darkness books are there any guidelines or examples to help anyone actually design or run any of these vast, intricate, intelligent, spiderwebby conspiracies they keep darkly hinting are just around the corner.  Somewhere.  

If you're going to hand clues like that to GMs, novice or otherwise (and of course to their players as well), you should give them some help in making up something that isn't just a lame, winging it "Lost" ripoff, or something dreadful like that.

It didn't help that I was comparing the game to the more recent Night's Black Agents, a vampire RPG by Kenneth Hite that is brilliant in how it lays out how to build plausible conspiracies that really work.

Well, well, well, guess what just developed?

• Like 11

Day 3 of 7 down...

Taking a week vacation memorial day week...

I need  to  decide stress...

• Like 6

5 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Continuing to love my commute. Brought my own coffee today.

Painted last night, and will again tonight! Looks like, based on my brides schedule that Monday to Thursday nights should include some painting time!! (Eyes the imminent arrival of Bones 3 in terror...) 

Give it a little while; soon you'll be here griping about all the elfs, smurfs and woofs, that were doing all manner of dumb things during your commute.::P:

Yay for more painting time!

3 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

This is one of those moments when I miss Dungeon and/or Dragon magazine. Would have been a great place for those poems.

I miss Dungeon and Dragon magazine.

2 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Lunch with coworkers was good! 

Now listening in on some meetings. Interesting differences in the language between the PhD/MD heavy NIH and the engineers at the MTA ::o:

Did they pay?

More technical or more 'earthy'?

1 hour ago, TGP said:

@Chaoswolf go Linux and don't look back?

Not my call; it's a company machine.

@knarthex---did you mean 'de-stress'?

Edited by Chaoswolf
auto-merge spacing
  • Like 6

39 minutes ago, Argentee said:

Maybe you'll finally get the kind of guide book you want, Pingo!

Yay!  Maybe ... :lol::huh:

I think the game's in good hands.  This bodes well. ^_^

• Like 9