Randomness XI: Rampant Randomness Randomly Rampaging

Froggy the Great

Just now, LittleBluberry said:

I approve!  ^_^

Still busy dealing with medical/dental appointments.  My teenage daughter is sucking spoons out of me like some sort of enhanced vacuum device--I love her dearly but she is a difficult child to be a good parent to.  Not her fault (she has anxiety/OCD) but I'm so worn out emotionally.  

When possible, take some time for yourself to recharge.

Sometimes little things can help.

*** Sends good vibes***

• Like 8

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Baldur8762 said:

Spoon theory?  This requires explanation!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoon_theory

There's a link on the wiki page to the original essay. I didn't link to the original essay because it's on a site that looks like it sells merchandise, so I don't want to violate the commerce link rules.

A lot of us around here that deal with "invisible" illnesses (or visible ones) refer to our spoons pretty regularly.

Edited by Guindyloo
clarification
  • Like 13

5 hours ago, hiddenone32 said:

Thank you for that.  Had to add that to my Amazon list as well.  Been screwing around with the Campaign Cartographer software.

I've got Campaign Cartographer, as well as the City Designer and Dungeon Designer add-ons for it, and I have tried messing with it for a couple years now. But every time I do, I give up because I can't get things looking the way I want them to. I even bought their Tome of Ultimate Mapping, which is basically just a giant walkthrough PDF(which hasn't been updated for CC3+ so at times can be a bit confusing) and while I got better, it still wasn't what I wanted. I know the software is amazingly powerful and capable of doing awesome things, since I've seen examples of that and even come close to recreating a few simpler ones, but it's also a piece of fully fledged CAD software and has a very steep learning curve that drives me away.

So that's why I bought this book back during the winter. I just hadn't taken the time to mess with it until last night.

2 hours ago, Baldur8762 said:

Yes, even we Icelanders suffer from depression.

Isn't Iceland up there with all the other Scandinavian countries on the depression scale? I could swear it's one of the places that's usually listed as being one of the most depressed countries in the world. I'd be depressed too if I lived on a small, explosive rock in the ocean where for 6 months out of the year it's daylight for like 2 hours a day. Also, hákarl. *shudder*

But hey, everyone around here has a life that sucks. That's what makes the Reaper world turn it would seem. You'll fit right in!

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoon_theory

There's a link on the wiki page to the original essay. I didn't link to the original essay because it's on a site that looks like it sells merchandise, so I don't want to violate the commerce link rules.

A lot of us around here that deal with "invisible" illnesses (or visible ones) refer to our spoons pretty regularly.

Thanks, that is a very interesting (and accurate) way of viewing things.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, FaekiasDracon said:

Lucy wouldn't be short for Locutus, would it?

No, it's short for Lucymonster the Terrible. She's named for both Lucy Lawless and Lucille Ball.

Almost time to go... 75 minutes..

• Like 9

1 minute ago, David Brawley said:

No, it's short for Lucymonster the Terrible. She's named for both Lucy Lawless and Lucille Ball.

Almost time to go... 75 minutes..

Lucille Ball dressed as Xena...

...I fear to Google this. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Isn't Iceland up there with all the other Scandinavian countries on the depression scale? I could swear it's one of the places that's usually listed as being one of the most depressed countries in the world. I'd be depressed too if I lived on a small, explosive rock in the ocean where for 6 months out of the year it's daylight for like 2 hours a day. Also, hákarl. *shudder*

But hey, everyone around here has a life that sucks. That's what makes the Reaper world turn it would seem. You'll fit right in!

Oh no not at all.  I mean, yes the crisis certainly showed that many Icelanders are more depressed than it used to be thought, but generally it is not as prevalent in society.  Honestly, that could be because it's not always openly talked about by the older generations.  Generally speaking, now that the crisis is fading in memory, people are much happier.  We enjoy the winter and the summer equally! Long nights, lots of partying and sex...Long days....well...the same. :lol:  We get Aurora Borealis in the winters and longs beautiful days in the summer.

And yes, hákarl is not for everyone. It's not something eaten everyday that is for sure...if you did...I don't think you'd be allowed to live in civilization...

I personally enjoy it.  It does not taste as bad as it smells and is quite pleasant.  But I usually save it for the mid winter celebratory.

Edited by Baldur8762
  • Like 5

::squeal in happiness::

Only 1 mini missing and I have a vulture on a gravestone I can't identify. That was fun and slightly exhausting to do, but some of these are so gorgeous to look at in hand.

Mom marveled at how nice the half-orc paladin paladin and merchant.

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, Unruly said:
6 hours ago, hiddenone32 said:

Thank you for that.  Had to add that to my Amazon list as well.  Been screwing around with the Campaign Cartographer software.

I've got Campaign Cartographer, as well as the City Designer and Dungeon Designer add-ons for it, and I have tried messing with it for a couple years now. But every time I do, I give up because I can't get things looking the way I want them to. I even bought their Tome of Ultimate Mapping, which is basically just a giant walkthrough PDF(which hasn't been updated for CC3+ so at times can be a bit confusing) and while I got better, it still wasn't what I wanted. I know the software is amazingly powerful and capable of doing awesome things, since I've seen examples of that and even come close to recreating a few simpler ones, but it's also a piece of fully fledged CAD software and has a very steep learning curve that drives me away.

So that's why I bought this book back during the winter. I just hadn't taken the time to mess with it until last night.

So much truth in this!  I don't even remember how long I've had that software.  Nor how many times I've tried to start using it... again.  Nor the last time I actually tried.  Frustrating software.  And I use real world mapping software on a very regular basis now (mostly to help students figure out why something isn't working on their project).  Now, don't get me wrong.  ESRI products have their own share of the frustration pie, but not on CC3 levels...

Nowadays, if I need one, I just pull out sketching paper and hope I don't mess it up several hours in...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Flamehawke said:

::squeal in happiness::

Only 1 mini missing and I have a vulture on a gravestone I can't identify. That was fun and slightly exhausting to do, but some of these are so gorgeous to look at in hand.

Mom marveled at how nice the half-orc paladin paladin and merchant.

the vulture goes with mrs, and mr. bones

• Like 9

*ambles in during his lunch break at home*

Good afternoon everyone! Sorry, haven't been around much, hope everyone is doing well.

Gotta get back to painting over a long weekend, off work Saturday - Wednesday (took an added 2 days off for an extended weekend). 

• Like 8

I've been messing with CC3 for so long I think I've finally beat it into submission.  I don't understand some of the really intricate stuff but I think I can churn out a decent map.  What I really want to do sometime is start with a large continent map and work my way down through area maps and into dungeon level maps to tie together on world.

• Like 2