Randomness XI: Rampant Randomness Randomly Rampaging

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oversharing behind the spoiler tag. Feel free to ignore if you don't know what I'm talking about.    

My ankle is healed! MY ANKLE IS HEALED!   It's been 3 months, 3 weeks, and way too much of our savings to heal a fracture I got by tripping.     I still have other medical stuff go

Kryphrixis: I love you, I have always loved you...   Stormwing: I.....what?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Loim said:

I've largely avoided comics since DC started the whole "Sales are down, lets reboot the universe again" cycle. For me one of the best limited series ever written was Crisis on Infinite Earths, and when they basically undid everything with Infinite Crisis I was pretty mad. The problem I've always had with Superman is that, Post Crisis, there are plenty of other characters who are just as powerful as The Big Blue Boy Scout. My personal favorite has always been Captain Marvel. I really liked the interaction between him and Supes in Kingdom Come. I'm not bashing anyone who does like him, mind you. I get that it's subjective, and when he's done right he can be a very good character. I love Action Comics #775. They did an amazing job. The same with Batman. The only thing DC has written in recent years that was worth the cost of publishing, again in my opinion, was Court of Owls. 

These days I mostly read indie comics. The only ongoing monthly book I care anything about is Invincible, and they are rapidly wrapping it up. 

Eh.  I thought "Crisis on Infinite Earths" was stupid and unnecessary.  Oh boo hoo, let's kill the Flash.  Oh boo hoo, let's kill Supergirl and now that she's gone foreverl Superman can be ALL EMO.

And look, all of our rich and varied and messy and incompatible history has been wiped out forever, whitewashed, and standardized.  Yay?

Between fridging the girls and sheer boredom, I drifted away from all mainstream comics in the 1980s, starting with Marvel but followed by DC after not too many years -- except for Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" (and a few things related to it).  Been reading that literally since the Friday that Issue 1 hit the newsstands.

Between fridging the girls and Rob Leifeld's art I was never once tempted to go back.

The last time I was in a comics shop I saw the cover of an issue of Wonder Woman where she was simpering and smirking and Superman's face was covered by lipstick kissie-lips.

Yeah.  No thanks.

The TV shows, thank all the gods, have only a faint relationship to the comics.  

The Marvel TV shows act like they are in the same universe as the movies (even as, apparently, some of the movie people scorn the very idea).

The DC shows are blatantly in different universes from the DC movies, thank all the gods even harder.  I think the "Supergirl" TV Superman, with his well adjusted modesty, good looks and kind heart, is the best current live action Superman.

• Like 7
  • Forum Mascot
1 hour ago, Loim said:

I've largely avoided comics since DC started the whole "Sales are down, lets reboot the universe again" cycle. For me one of the best limited series ever written was Crisis on Infinite Earths, and when they basically undid everything with Infinite Crisis I was pretty mad. The problem I've always had with Superman is that, Post Crisis, there are plenty of other characters who are just as powerful as The Big Blue Boy Scout. My personal favorite has always been Captain Marvel. I really liked the interaction between him and Supes in Kingdom Come. I'm not bashing anyone who does like him, mind you. I get that it's subjective, and when he's done right he can be a very good character. I love Action Comics #775. They did an amazing job. The same with Batman. The only thing DC has written in recent years that was worth the cost of publishing, again in my opinion, was Court of Owls. 

These days I mostly read indie comics. The only ongoing monthly book I care anything about is Invincible, and they are rapidly wrapping it up. 

The last comic book I bought was Death of Superman, and then only so I could tear it violently out of the collectible bag and horrify everyone in the store.  I bought the DC "V" series regularly, but it only lasted 18 issues and it was mostly because I was a fan of the show (later rewatching of the series revealed that I had terrible taste).  After that I bought G.I. Joe until everybody became a ninja and wore neon for no reason. 

Like wrestling, almost everything I know about comics only comes from hanging around other people who liked it. 

Still... ripping open DoS was a satisfying experience.  And anyway, after the shock wore off I had one of the few copies people could, y'know, actually read

I was King For A Day.

• Like 13
19 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

The last comic book I bought was Death of Superman, and then only so I could tear it violently out of the collectible bag and horrify everyone in the store.  I bought the DC "V" series regularly, but it only lasted 18 issues and it was mostly because I was a fan of the show (later rewatching of the series revealed that I had terrible taste).  After that I bought G.I. Joe until everybody became a ninja and wore neon for no reason. 

Like wrestling, almost everything I know about comics only comes from hanging around other people who liked it. 

Still... ripping open DoS was a satisfying experience.  And anyway, after the shock wore off I had one of the few copies people could, y'know, actually read

I was King For A Day.

And then he rolled it up and put it in a overly used sock... not exactly archival, but probably potently able to preserve...

Welcome back, King Buglips... cause to us, you are the King of the Goblins every day.

• Like 8
36 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Hugging my husband always makes me feel better.

Yup. Hugging your husband is a nearly magical remedy! Always brings a smile to my face!

Almost lunch time... And I'm out of coffee. The new thermos worked well though!

Edited by David Brawley
  • Like 8
15 hours ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

*strolls in gulping down a frappacino*

Wut? 

ub3r!! Good to see you, if only for a moment. ::D: I'm gonna be a barbarian! RAWR.

57 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Hugging my husband always makes me feel better.

D'aww :wub: 

• Like 11

Morning, all.  Hope everyone is doing we.  Got my dad married off this weekend so hopefully they can start calming down instead of stressing about everything.

Figured I'd share a pic of me.  This is as dressed up as I get.

IMG_20170606_112228.thumb.jpg.d431cce7523cba7516fc6e2ff31fa26a.jpg

• Like 16

I burned out on comics in general in the early 90s. About the time of the fancy hologram-time travelling-camouflaged-authentic tiger skin-sketch variant-mow your lawn & make you dinner special cover trend came to be. I read a sheepload of comics, mostly Marvel titles. I had a few DC ones but Marvel was my drug back then. I read allot cause I loved the characters, the stories, the art, that was until they decided that guest stars had to be in every FREAKIN issue! Cap America guest starring Wolverine! X-men guess starring Cap America!! etc etc etc. It was way too much for me to handle.

In the end only one comic survived the purge, & that was Bone. The simple black & white more-"cartoonier" then the other titles that I read. There was something about the stories, the  way they captured you & brought you in & the art just made it even better. I've yet to re-read them with the colorization. I probably won't as I think that would take away allot of the fun I had reading them. Granted I have read the other off-shoot titles that have come from Bone & they are fine in color. Just don't color my b&w Bone!!

I'm still holding out & hoping for a good cgi movie for Bone someday!

• Like 7

Well, today's been wonderful. I realized I either left or lost most of my brushes at the last paint day my group had... Absolutely great, now I have to order new brushes *sigh*

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Aryanun said:
3 hours ago, David Brawley said:

Yes, definitely need more coffee.

Elves being eaten by dandelions is a fantastic mental image through!

::(::down:::(:

He's a hamster... he's afraid of the BIG people.  It is understandable logic.

Sure hope no elves overheard the conversation though.  I can think of a lot of "natural" things they could do to cage domesticate a hamster, keep it alive an unnaturally long time and mess with its mind...

• Like 5
Just now, Grayfax said:

He's a hamster... he's afraid of the BIG people.  It is understandable logic.

Sure hope no elves overheard the conversation though.  I can think of a lot of "natural" things they could do to cage domesticate a hamster, keep it alive an unnaturally long time and mess with its mind...

Judge me by my size, do you...

• Like 7
44 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

Judge me by my size, do you...

*** Looks at Ub3r *** Looks at Haminister ***

"Uh... maybe... in some areas.  Obviously you received your Ministry title at the point of a lightsword from different sensibilities."

• Like 4