Randomness XI: Rampant Randomness Randomly Rampaging

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, canuckotter said:

Spent the late afternoon and early evening at a party... I put sunscreen on and don't see any signs of sunburn but I still feel like I've been in the sun way too long. Blech. Then came home and finished up my little baker and did the highlighting on the skin of the Elven blacksmith while I had the paint out. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from a friend whose son had his appendix out in a hurry today, and another who's having an emotional crisis... The early part of the day was spent cleaning out the rest of my boy clothes... It's been a busy day and I'm ready for bed but I think it might be a late night helping out friends! But I got painting done again, and that's what matters. ::P:

As far as the boy clothes go, keep anything that fits well, looks decently feminine and actually has pockets, you'll thank people for this advice later. Ask Pingo, Red, and OneBoot; women's clothes don't seem to include pockets most of the time. 

• Like 8
9 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Went to nieces graduation party.  Had a good time with family.  Swung by a new to me game store on the way home.  They were out of free RPG stuff but they had a bunch of the 255th anniversary Tara the Swift and Eli minis.  So I picked up spares.

How old is Reaper?!?::P:

42 minutes ago, hiddenone32 said:

Morning, all.  Hope everyone's weekend hasn't been too difficult.

Not too bad so far.

ETA---forgot to mention; we went and saw Wonder Woman last night. Very good movie! It looks like DC finally made a good superhero movie. The movie had previews for Justice League, so I hope the trend continues...

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 6

Jack is currently fighting with his brain, which is throwing a temper tantrum... :rolleyes:

Jack needs to build a bigger shadowbox to hold his old Ral Partha and Grenadier minis. Jack is trying to build one cheaply - just your standard, classic box. Jack even went exploring the dark reaches of the far corners of his garage to find some of the wood, rather than paying for it.

Jack's brain is kicking and screaming and rolling on the ground because Jack doesn't want to let it turn this into a Project - with all the wood not being stained, but rather covered by hand-carved Milliput stonework and all the verticals faced in Hirst Arts columns. :rolleyes:

Jack's inherent laziness and procrastination may be the only things that get this thing done under budget.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 10
1 hour ago, Sylverthorne said:

I have been awake all night. If this keeps up, I'll be able to hear purple ....

Everything will sound sarcastic.  :huh:

50 minutes ago, FaekiasDracon said:

As far as the boy clothes go, keep anything that fits well, looks decently feminine and actually has pockets, you'll thank people for this advice later. Ask Pingo, Red, and OneBoot; women's clothes don't seem to include pockets most of the time. 

Pockets!  Arggnrarzoflarp!  :angry:

My eldest daughter is especially fond of those boy's jeans which include generous pockets.

• Like 14

I love Victoria Coren Mitchell.

A week ago, I’d already pretty much stopped looking at the news because everything was so terrible. It was my best advice, advice I’d given to friends who were reporting non-specific unhappiness and anxiety: just switch the world off for a bit. No newspapers, no TV or radio news programmes, no social media; internet to be used only for cheering, escapist things, if at all. Friends had reported back that they were finding this very therapeutic. They were crying less. They felt less nervous.

And that was a week ago. Now, it’s unbearable. Current affairs are torture to contemplate. There are images that I never want to see, don’t want to have seen. You do something to help if you can, do nothing to help if there is nothing, and then – when you think you’d be best off tuning out for a bit – you can’t. Can’t shake it. You’re haunted.

This week, I have nothing topical to write about. The serious feels too awful, the non-serious too pointless and wittery.

Instead, I’ve decided to compile a list of good things in the world. Things to think about when you don’t want to think about what you’re thinking about. A sort of meditation tool. These are some things I’m going to try to clear my head and focus on – to the exclusion of all else.

• Like 5

I bought some PDFs of some clothing patterns a few months ago, and I just got around to trying to print and assemble one of them this morning. I got less than halfway through it before I started thinking I'd be better served by spending my time pulling my hair out and wishing that I had spent the extra money to get the pre-printed copies of the patterns shipped to me instead. Then I went online to read about the proper way of assembling a tiled pattern, and found out that in the last couple months the company I bought these patterns from stopped selling them in tiled format and now sells them in a format that I can take to any print shop that has a wide-format printer and print out as a single piece! I downloaded that version of the PDF and now I think I know what I'll be doing come Tuesday...

• Like 6
12 hours ago, Pingo said:

Sounds like your friends need you.  

As for sunburn, I've taken to carrying a pretty parasol with me when I go out and staying firmly under it.

So far it's mostly me and south and east Asian immigrants with the things.  I do get a lot of "I wish I'd thought of that" comments.  I reckon I'll start a fashion eventually just from sheer cussed persistence.

The friend whose kid had his appendix out only just got back to me about 10 minutes ago. Apparently it was a rough night but everyone made it through... The other friend ate some supper and then passed out. So I ended up not being needed.

Edit: forgot to say that I love the parasol idea! I've never seen one for sale anywhere but now I'm going to keep my eyes open... ::):

3 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

I have been awake all night. If this keeps up, I'll be able to hear purple ....

In theory I slept last night but it really doesn't feel like it. 

2 hours ago, FaekiasDracon said:

None of it looked remotely feminine, although I might be able to wear the really cool vest we made a few years ago... We never got around to putting buttons on it, so now I'm going to wait for a couple years and then we'll put the buttons on based on how it fits when puberty's basically done. ::): The majority of my clothes were previously chosen partially for their aggressively masculine style.

Now I think it might be time for me to go start putting more paint on my elf blacksmith. I've decided that she should be a redhead. ::):

Edited by canuckotter
Forgot to express my admiration for parasols
  • Like 7
28 minutes ago, canuckotter said:

The friend whose kid had his appendix out only just got back to me about 10 minutes ago. Apparently it was a rough night but everyone made it through... The other friend ate some supper and then passed out. So I ended up not being needed.

Edit: forgot to say that I love the parasol idea! I've never seen one for sale anywhere but now I'm going to keep my eyes open... ::):

Glad your friends are okay.

A pretty umbrella works just as well and they are much easier to find.

I just remembered, bridal stores are a good place to check for parasols.  

• Like 7

Wow, I thought y'all would be done with this thread already! 

I'm already back. LOL. Sorry about that. I remembered that cutting off friends for more a couple days never really ends positively so.... here I am. Hullo, friends.

I'm still falling apart, but I've got friends, my husband, and some savings to do a couple more PT sessions to fix that part up a bit.

I may have gotten fired/laid off, and now that's both of us unemployed, but that's why we've been living on a budget for years.

We have enough for a few months for him to find something, and I am going to practice my sculpting in this thread here for those couple months.

Every day.

It's what I've wanted to do since I discovered it on these forums, and I've never had more than a couple days off between jobs, so this is my chance to work really hard!!!

• Like 15
1 minute ago, Morihalda said:

I'm already back. LOL. Sorry about that. I remembered that cutting off friends for more a couple days never really ends positively so.... here I am. Hullo, friends.

I'm still falling apart, but I've got friends, my husband, and some savings to do a couple more PT sessions to fix that part up a bit.

I may have gotten fired/laid off, and now that's both of us unemployed, but that's why we've been living on a budget for years.

We have enough for a few months for him to find something, and I am going to practice my sculpting in this thread here for those couple months.

Every day.

It's what I've wanted to do since I discovered it on these forums, and I've never had more than a couple days off between jobs, so this is my chance to work really hard!!!

Good luck.  Oh, good luck.

• Like 6
Just now, Pingo said:

Good luck.  Oh, good luck.

I'm hella scared. There's so much that could go wrong if we don't keep sticking to our budget.

I think if I hadn't been convinced to post my drawings here a year and a half ago, I would have been too chicken for this still. :lol: 

• Like 9
2 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

Every day.

You'll get something soon, just keep at it. you're far more qualified than I am, and I still got a job. Actually, three of them, one after another. But only  because the opportunities kept getting better. The only advice I can give is to throw as many resumes as you can out there, I tried to manage at least 5 per week.

• Like 8
21 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

You'll get something soon, just keep at it. you're far more qualified than I am, and I still got a job. Actually, three of them, one after another. But only  because the opportunities kept getting better. The only advice I can give is to throw as many resumes as you can out there, I tried to manage at least 5 per week.

That's the scary part - I'm not going to be looking for a full-time job during this next month. I know I can get part-time retail anywhere with my experience so I'm not too fussed, and I can do that on the second month of my other half hasn't found a job yet. But I've never had more than a couple days off before, and I was trying to leave this job anyway to get a mental break.

.... We just weren't supposed to be unemployed at the same time.

• Like 9