Getting to Know Each Other - December 2016

I used to get Christmas & New Year's days off & half days + half vacation time for the Eves. That was when I worked at Sperry's twenty plus years ago.

Now that I no longer work I get all the holidays off with the same money coming in as regular days...things can look good if you phrase the reply properly.

• Like 4
  • Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for Dec 20

Do you get time off for Christmas, Solstice, or other seasonal holiday? Do you take any vacation time?

Yeah, we get the federal holidays. For xmas eve/nye we get extra half-days (taken anytime in the weeks around the holidays), but as they fall on weekends we get three-day weekends...AND a half-day! Pay isn't great, but we're pretty good with holidays, like there is a day-after-Thanksgiving floating day off that can be used in the weeks around Thanksgiving (I always use it just after).

I miscalculated my floating holidays, so I "only" have two four-day weekends for the holidays :)

• Like 4

Question for Dec 20

Do you get time off for Christmas, Solstice, or other seasonal holiday? Do you take any vacation time?

Technically yes, but I will be on call for the Christmas holiday weekend.

Yes. I wanted to take this week (the company is giving us Thursday and Friday off), but being the newest, and most junior means that I get last say in days off, so I had to work yesterday. I am getting the rest of the week off, though.

• Like 3

Question for Dec 20

Yes. The company I work for shuts down for a week at the end of the year (excepting a few critical employees). I am required to be out of the office from December 24 through January 2nd this year.

Unfortunately, we do not get paid time off for all of it. For three of those days, I have to explicitly choose whether to burn vacation time, or take them as unpaid leave. (Not so bad for me, as I have been here a long time, and get a decent amount of vacation to burn each year. I treat it as an opportunity to buy extra vacation time, if I want it.)

• Like 3

Not many Commonwealth folks, I see... ::D: We have Christmas and Boxing Day off (which gets translated for office workers to Monday and Tuesday) and New Year's Day (which I'll get on Monday). And then I took off the 3 days in between, so after 4:30pm on Friday, I'm off until the 3rd of January. ::D: 

• Like 2

I do, from Christmas until the day after New Years, although I'll be on call for one of the days, and the run-up to the break is hectic as everyone is using the last of their vacation time so no one's around to get the work done!

I don't usually take extra time off around Christmas, because I prefer to get the work done when no one else is around.  I take my time off when the weather's nice!

• Like 2

Question for Dec 20

Unemployment=all the time in the world.

Not liking ^ this. :mellow:

I cannot remember taking extra days to extend a Christmas holiday break.

• Like 1

Question for Dec 20

The restaurant is closed on Christmas day, so that's guaranteed.

I have, in the past, taken a holiday every other year to go and see family; it's now much more likely that I will be staying home for Christmas every year due to my family situation being recently complicated with my parents' divorce, plus having a child of my own now I'm more inclined to just have our own little family Christmas.

• Like 5

Question for Dec 20

Unemployment=all the time in the world.

Not liking ^ this. :mellow:

I cannot remember taking extra days to extend a Christmas holiday break.

As it were, when I still had my job I had booked off two weeks to cover Christmas and New Year's, so I had time to do Khanjira. Plans are shot, and I'm getting my life in order again. Every business has already hired the people they need for Christmas, so it might be until after New Year's before they start looking for new employees again.

Question for Dec 20

Christmas Day is the only day my workplace is closed. I do get paid for the day, thou with recent hour cuts, I'll get less that day (  :grr: ) but I guess any extra helps. Prob will work that night, thou with it being on Sunday this year & recent weeks I've gotten Sunday nights off.

While I have family & such, really just anther day to me anymore.

• Like 1

Question for Dec 20Do you get time off for Christmas, Solstice, or other seasonal holiday? Do you take any vacation time?

I work the three days leading up to the 25th, and then the three days immediately after.

Because I work in retail no vacation time is allowed over Christmas.

• Like 1