Sign in to follow this  
Jasonator

DSM8018 Brave Sir Robin Scaredy Cat.

I have been working on Brave Sir Robin Scaredy Cat Most of the week.  As I am wont to do;

this DSM is a real difficult assembly, and the assembly has to be done in two parts.  Since he is holding

his shield over his head, you will never paint face, or complete shield if you attempt to glue first.

I know that I will be using green stuff on this one already.  (shield is going to be a problem with attachment).

Anyway.  Here is the way he is coming together.  I've been working the tabby backwards.. As I add one component after another, it wants to be darker by another step.  So I just keep on mixing more darker tabby colors.  The Red should eventually pop.  Thought I would show how I am doing the more difficult Dave Summer Mini.

Here are some photos.

Comments, critiques, suggestions are very welcome.

Jay

post-12655-0-17444300-1480789861_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-72355500-1480789861_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-30606400-1480789862_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-89874600-1480789862_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-46622200-1480789863_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-05515900-1480789864_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 12

This has the potential to be a WONDERFUL creation...Sir Robin already is giving off an aura of abject terror. Keep up the SPLENDID WORK!

Poorly thought out assembly is a Dark Sword characteristic that goes back to the first boxed sets. I remember a separate sword that didn't have the whole hand attached, just the fingers. Good luck with the shield...I'll keep you in my prayers.

• Like 2

Malefactus;

Thanks for the comment, and the information on Dark Sword Assembly.  I have always noticed how difficult it was to join their

miniature pieces together.  I thought that it was the 28mm sizing, but I think you have shown this is one of their weaknesses.  The shield joinery on this

one is a huge bear.  I went searching for data on this aspect and found nothing !  So we will just go into the wilderness, and make it work on our own

terms.  I just black inked the shield, and tomorrow I will paint that, and prepare it for gluing.

Thanks again.

Jay

• Like 1

With difficult small joints, I usually mix a little green stuff and apply superglue on both surfaces, then press the GS in between.

Works fine, with the pose of the shield you also need some support to let it set.

The Kitty looks good.

Keep it up!

• Like 1

off to a good start !

BUT  I would like to state he is not SCARED but just shielding his fur from the rain!

Edited by robinh
  • Like 2

off to a good start !

BUT  I would like to state he is not SCARED but just shielding his fur from the rain!

Hmmm... uhhh.. Sure Robinh;

I think you are right !  Its the rain !

After painting the shield, letting it dry overnight, then using a mini set of long nose pliers, some paper towling

and a lot of control breathing, I twisted on arm to "kinda" line up one up his left arm to come close to the shield hand.

SLOWLY, check, SLOWLY, check again, they touch !!  Good enough for me..

I gots to love the green stuff.  Little thin rings around wrist area, super glue, and they are now becoming one!

I may have to do a small amount of sculpting, but it looks good right now!

Few more fixes and I'll be in basing area !

He's beginning to look like I want him, now to let the shield attach !

Patience.. where did it go !!

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 2

Holding his shield over his head?

As far as I know, he's holding it in front of his chest, so most of his face is visible over the edge. 

Or at least the one I put together held it like that... 

And yeah, he was a bit of a pain to put together... 

Of course, mine doesn't have that nice a paintjob... ;-)

I have mine at the office, and most who see it, and notice the name will look it over again, frown, then laugh... 

• Like 1

Holding his shield over his head?

As far as I know, he's holding it in front of his chest, so most of his face is visible over the edge. 

Or at least the one I put together held it like that... 

And yeah, he was a bit of a pain to put together... 

Of course, mine doesn't have that nice a paintjob... ;-)

I have mine at the office, and most who see it, and notice the name will look it over again, frown, then laugh... 

Rofl;

Gadgetman, I am sure your work is fine, and I am relieved to know that someone was able

to paint and glue it up.  I didn't like how the arms, attached to body, and then to shield eitherl

I'm going to take a couple photo's soon and show where I am taking him to.

Mini is fun, and a challenge ! 

Did you post yours in show offs forum ?

Hope Kong Vinteren isn't playing too hard with you in Norge.

Hilsen.

Jason

It seems I never posted a Show-off for it. The only pictures are in the first page of my 'Messing about with paints' thread:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/67006-gadgetman-is-messing-about-with-paints/

I guess I could take a snapshot or two tomorrow. 

Haven't seen musch of Kong Vinter, no. 

Right now it's +2 Celsius outside and it was bucketing down when I walked the 1.5Km home from the bus stop this afternoon... And yeah, it was uphill, too... 

(So, besides messing with paints this evening I've just been tending the woodstove,  a Dovre 250CBS, and lazing about.)

• Like 3

Here are a few photos of Sir Robin, with his shield attached (at Last), and some more painting done.

I need to modify the eyes again, and work on the cloth, highlight some armor points, do some work on the green stuff, and then get

serious about what basing I want to do on him. Decisions, decisions !!!

Like where he is at right now.

This has been a waltz... two steps up, two steps back,  LOL

So, Here he is:

post-12655-0-34975600-1480968844_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-07142100-1480968847_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-36696900-1480968849_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-08569300-1480968851_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-85328600-1480968852_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I can see that your version is holding his shield about 4mm higher than the original. 

It changes the mini quite a bit, so it'll be interesting to see the finished version. 

• Like 1

Thanks Gadgetman;

Those difference make each of our works unique.

It will factor into my basing decisions for sure. 

Oh, I LOVE your Dovre 250CBS wood stove.

I would love to get one of those in my living room.

Have to see if there is an American Provider !

When I go up to my cousin's hytte in Lurestein, near Kongsberg,

We light some logs, and I turn into a lazy dog, and curl up on floor with a blanket,

and am as happy as I can be.  Maybe next year I need to take a trip!

Edited by Jasonator

The Miniature obsession has set in.  I put him down, and let him dry and suddenly.. NEXT STAGE.. PAINT hits in.

So, Here is a step further.  I've been working on the cloth, and making corrections to the figure.

Slowly bringing him up to my my vision of completeness.

So here is another step forward.

Jay

post-12655-0-72559100-1480992369_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-37354200-1480992371_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-27912500-1480992373_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-42563600-1480992374_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-23235000-1480992376_thumb.jpg

post-12655-0-22851500-1480992379_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

now you just gotta deal with that GS...  I know you are putting it off but you can handle it!

Now hop to it :devil:

Edited by robinh
  • Like 1