Hello,

This is my first post in the work in progress and on the Reaper Forum in general.  Though I have been a ghost in the Forum watching.

I am still fairly new to the hobby and I had started painting about two years ago.  However, a house fire at end of last July ended up basically halting my being able to paint until just recently.  Point of interest, I was working on Khanjira when it happened and a falling ceiling will destroy him.  The worst house damage was in my bed room right above my hobby area.

But I have finally been able to get back to painting and I have really liked Narthrax for a while.  So, I have created this work in progress to help keep me motivated and moving.  I have the trouble of over thinking/researching things and never starting them.  So I am hoping this helps.  The plan is to have it done by the end of this next week.  If I am not feeling like moving on to another mini I am then thinking of basing it with a desert scene and it attacking a caravan.  I have the camel from Conan and really would just need a merchant like figure.

So I have given him a nice bath and he is now drying.

post-15353-0-39263300-1480793331_thumb.jpg

My plan is to paint him up like our bearded dragon, Albus (or according to my three year old, Albus Lizard).  Tried to get him posing on an out cropping of rocks but he is being lazy.

post-15353-0-48723800-1480793483_thumb.jpg

The next step will be Brown Liner and then I will check it for mold lines again.  I was very impressed with how little mold lines were present and I am sure I have missed some.

• Like 20
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forums!

Condolences for the house fire! I'm glad you were able to make your way back to the hobby! You already know from lurking around here that if you have any questions, just let us know and we'll be more than happy to help!

I look forward to seeing your dragon painted as a dragon!  ^_^

• Like 2

Made some progress today.  After getting it a nice coating of brown liner.  I then painted the scales with Fair skin, as Albus is a good deal lighter in general color than I thought at first.  I took a photo but it did not turn out the best.  Will need practice.  I had tried to use a wet pallet but ended up getting the paint a little to wet and now I will need to line each scale to help better define them.

Then shaded along the back bone/spines with some leather brown.  The none scale parts have also been started to be blocked in with red brick.  I been trying to determine what is scale and what is not easy for some of the boundaries, especially the wings.

I do have a judging eye watching me.  Albus is next to my paint area and has been watching me work.  I feel like he agrees with more representations of him and that they need to be larger and fiercer.  ​Albus: I agree.  We had him out to try and match colors and while my wife was holding him he jumped off of her into my lap and just stared at me.  ​Work faster for you lizard over lord.

post-15353-0-40211800-1480895789_thumb.jpg

post-15353-0-28642300-1480895795_thumb.jpg

The rest of the night will be for dinner and putting the Christmas tree up.  Probably will not get to paint to much tomorrow as it is my Pathfinder day for the group I lead.  May try and hand and get the base painted like sandstone.  Will be my first at this version of terrain.  Others have been granite or a version close to it.

Also thank all of you for the comments and welcomes.

• Like 15

Welcome to our Asylum away from home!

Great way to start out here, as everyone around here loves dragons!

As you say you have been lurking, I am guessing that most of our insanities are known to you, but just want to remind you of 2 things,

PURPLE is the color of sarcasm / teasing around here.....

And always remember that we are in this hobby to have FUN! If you are having fun, you ARE doing it right!

And Kudos to recognizing the fact that it is okay to talk to the minis, and have them talk back to you!

George

• Like 1

A small bit of work today.  Began dry brushing the base in different shades of brown after doing a fairly heavy dry brush of red brick.  Had a small stash of dark chocolate covered expresso beans which seemed to help with the dry brushing motion. 

post-15353-0-33596200-1480982998_thumb.jpg 

Also noticed that there is an etching or painting of half a dragon in the middle stone.  I would like to pull it out more so I thought of making it like a desert painting which from my google search are dark reds or browns.  I also thought about making pop or pull out more with brighter colors such as with brighter blues or reds.  Any thoughts? 

post-15353-0-14137000-1480983866_thumb.jpg

I am going to work on improving my lighting and picture taking.  My mother-in-law was a professional photographer so may ask her for some tips and help when she comes out for Christmas.

Also, Knarthex thanks for telling me about purple and its meaning.  This is not just my first posting in the Reaper forums, but this is my first posting in any forum.  I looked for any guidelines for meanings such as what the purple would be but could not find anything.

• Like 9

Welcome aboard!

The dragon as dragon is an excellant idea, as to the etching on the base I'd advise the darker red. Keeps with your desert painting theme while providing contrast against the brown of the base. Or you could find another rock formation like albus's and mount the dragon to that, place it in it's own tank and introduce it to people as albus's cousin.

Well I missed the deadline I had set.  Life struck and was not able to get as much painting done as I had planned.  I also had to put it aside as I was getting frustrated with parts of it.  Friends and family were saying it was really nice, but since I was doing it and staring at it from inches away I know where every mistake and issue was.

I have made some progress from my last pictures though.  Started on the wings and tried wet blending, but did not push it high enough.  It looked a lot brighter when wet and then when it dried it darkened back down quite a bit.  Then high lighted the bones in the one wing and will need to do the next.  These will then have a wash applied to push it back down some and look more like bone near the surface.

I lined 80% of the scales, but had to stop as this was one of the parts I was getting frustrated/impatient with and my work was getting worse.  Which then caused a loop of more frustration.  I thought Kaladrax's tail bones were killer.  Least they were all a decent size.  Some of the tail scales on Narthrax are tiny and in hard to reach spots.

post-15353-0-52753200-1481757665_thumb.jpg

Next will be working on the wings again to try and get a smooth blend on top.  Then get underside done.  It will be a much lighter cooler as the underside of a bearded dragon is almost white.

Not to bad for my forth mini painted, if you discount terrain.  Went skeleton from learn to paint kit, colossal skeleton, Kaladrax, and now Narthrax.  There were some jumps.

It will be a while until my next update as the holidays are going to through a hurdle.  Will be traveling all next week to family and he is a little big for that.  Then next week will have family over.

I have put a travel kit together so I should be able to do some painting though. 

• Like 14