Sign in to follow this  
Evilhalfling

Christmas gift Diorama

So it all started with a joke I learned and told to my librarian wife. 

A librarian is working away at her desk when she notices that a chicken has come into the library and is patiently waiting in front of the desk.

When the chicken sees that it has the librarian's attention, it squawks,

", BOOK!"

The librarian complies, putting a couple of books down in front of the chicken.

The chicken quickly grabs them and disappears.

The next day, the librarian is again disturbed by the same chicken, who puts the previous day's pile of books down on the desk and again squawks,

" book, BOOK!"

The librarian shakes her head, wondering what the chicken is doing with these books, but eventually finds some more books for the chicken.

The chicken disappears.

The next day, the librarian is once again disturbed by the chicken, who squawks (in a rather irritated fashioon, it seems),

"Book,  book, BOOK!"

By now, the librarian's curiosity has gotten the better of her, so she gets a pile of books for the chicken, and follows the bird when it leaves the library.

She follows it through the parking lot, down the street for several blocks, and finally into a large park. The chicken disappears into a small grove of trees, and the librarian follows.

On the other side of the trees is a small marsh. The chicken has stopped on the side of the marsh.

The librarian, now really curious, hurries over and sees that there is a small frog next to the chicken, examining each book, one at a time. The librarian comes within earshot just in time to hear the frog saying,

"Read it, read it, read it..."

Hopefully will it be displayed on her (back office) desk at my wife's library.

I will write "Bok" or book behind the chicken (likely on the base) and "Reddit "  behind the frog 

Some early ideas didn't work out so this is about my third configuration.  I bought a stonehaven raptor and mounted frog knight for this, but the frog knight was too small, is not obviously a frog (with the armor and all)  this frog is a little large, but its going to be seen mostly from a few feet way.   

The scene will take place inside the library, originally the street outside was also a possibility.

I didn't want to put it in the marsh, because I wanted the library in the scene, and an inside tablue fit better. 

What works well for carpet?  It have a handle on crafting a book, just haven't started it yet.  It will be sitting on the floor between them . 

post-12081-0-02583900-1480814113_thumb.jpg

02665: Killer Frogs  x1
02703: Gothic Archway  x1
77318: Bookshelf  x2

Stonehaven raptor mount 

21 days remaining 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 11

Bullfrog in progress.

getting it to tabletop quality went faster than expected. Still needs more work onthe shadows mostly, and the spotted belly does not quite read right.  I am Torn beween painting the combat ready claws as sculpted, and playing them down as long toes. 

I also spent time sanding the base.  I had some bad experiances with forgetting to sand the dispaly base first. 

useing 150 and 220 grit 

post-12081-0-72381200-1480969955_thumb.jpgpost-12081-0-42030600-1480969953_thumb.jpgpost-12081-0-82120200-1480969951_thumb.jpgpost-12081-0-15176200-1480969949_thumb.jpg

Refrence picture 

post-12081-0-17799400-1480969958.jpg

19 days

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 14

When I did a carpet for my ReaperCon diorama, I used a piece of cloth for acarpet, and painted it after soaking in a 50% mix of white glue and water. ..

I did let it dry before painting. ..

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 2

When I did a carpet for my ReaperCon diorama, I used a piece of cloth for acarpet, and painted it after soaking in a 50% mix of white glue and water. ..

I did let it dry before painting. ..

hmm I have all these fabric samples in a box .... 

bonus: CHICKEN ! 

still work in progress, in fact his other side is even less painted.  

post-12081-0-26770700-1481148421.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 9

Spent the day adding detail to chicken. Is he too red now?  I used a wash of red shadow for to fill in some darker areas. 

The first carpet didn't work, the squares are 3x3 the wood is slightly less than 2.5 by 3.5  but with some cutting it will fit.  leaving a seam.

I might be able to live with the seam.  Moving to a second choice on the carpet - beige.  

post-12081-0-57139800-1481254455_thumb.jpg

16 days. 

hmm that's not reality,  how many of those am I free to paint?
take out the weekends, and the days My in-laws are visiting, and the days the wife is off for Christmas 

Add in Paint Club this Saturday.. (4 hours - bliss) 

5.  uh-oh 

• Like 8

So I just need to pick up the pace, finding odd times during busy days to apply paint.

I cut these two bookshelves off the storage cabinets - but messed up one of the cuts.  I was planning on hiding it on the base, but since I am going with carpet, I may need to greenstuff it instead.  It is the one that is raised up because it already has a pin in it. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 8

Today I made the back wall, painted it black.  the front side will be a different color, not sure what - off-white with texture spots is possible, but not the easiest choice over black.  Didn't I think that one all the way through.  A light brown may be the way to go, as I don't want to saturate my wall. 

Spent most of Paint Day working on the chicken.  Paint day was great!  14 people showed up to the Hanger 18 warehouse.  and brought food. 

It may mark a Renaissance of the Colorado Painters Association. - also got some more bones and 6 paints. 

Stained the base, the top will be covered in carpet so a few patches & the divot is okay.  I am not as happy with the sides.  One of these days ill get the stain to work properly on funny surfaces.  I still have the round one (seen upside-down in pict), and 3 more oblongs to use.  The sanding helped this time I think. 

post-12081-0-66474300-1481580060_thumb.jpg

Remaining:

more shadows on figures, sides and top of the black wall, painting the stone arch, installing carpet and assembly.  

totally possible. 

Days remaining 12 (3 are free for painting)

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 5

The stained base is a big improvement. I think it looks fine on the sides. Not sure what you're on about. The chicken was looking good IRL as they say. I'm hoping we see similar turnouts at paint days in 2017 cuz yeah, that was a lot of fun. kinda sad we're not going to be at Genghis. I'd expect to see this as an entry. :)

• Like 1

Thanks.

The part of the base in shadow looks black in person, it took too much of the stain. 

Yeah I am totally borrowing this back for entering into competitions. 

More progress today, but a leak in my water cup means the end of work for now.  Luckily none of the stuff I was working on for this project got wet.  Half my desk flooded while I was sitting there before I noticed.  I guess tunnel vision comes with the hyper-focus that I use for painting. 

anyway..

not sure what to do about slightly leaning left wall.  I know it needs another layer of the spectral white/gem purple mix to even out.

The wall color is a light purple.  I found on color wheel balancing chicken and frog colors.  if it doesn't work someone tell me!

post-12081-0-00707200-1481738351_thumb.jpg

Chicken & Frog are mostly where I want them. but I like one side of the chicken better than the other, I guess I should figure out why. 

post-12081-0-23020700-1481738437_thumb.jpg

post-12081-0-80103700-1481738437_thumb.jpg

- okay its the face, it is turned up slightly on one side, bringing it more into focus.  The feathers are not as finished on that side, So more work to do.  The frog is pretty balanced, but slightly better turned that way as well. 

Days remaining 10 (2) 

On schedule.

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 4

Okay this was my last free day. 

tomorrow got filled up with Dr. visits. 

added orange highlights to chicken,

added brush on primer to spots where the paint had come off.  Hopefully the paint will hold better next time. 

pinned frog to the base.  

Cut a slot in carpet and the base for the chicken - as it has one of those thin tabbed bases. 

glued in chicken 

glued book on floor 

added more spectral white to left wall

made a lower shelf for left shelf. 

Final pictures before a show off thread - 

post-12081-0-27142700-1482203711_thumb.jpg

post-12081-0-05022700-1482203715_thumb.jpg

post-12081-0-48542800-1482203724_thumb.jpg

post-12081-0-54775700-1482203729_thumb.jpg

• Like 2