So I'm painting this guy up as a Christmas present for my father. For once I'm starting to paint Christmas presents prior to 3 days before Christmas!  :bday:

Not a lot to show at this point. I cleaned him up, then used brush-on primer on him, then started basecoating his head, then started basecoating the dragon..... and then I realized that it's going to be really difficult to paint the ground beneath him without destroying everything else, so I switched to brown liner for the base. I'll likely drybrush it tomorrow and essentially "finish" the base before I do any additional basecoating as otherwise I'll just destroy the rest of my work if I'm trying to do it last.

He's got a lot of nooks and crannies that are going to be a little frustrating to get to without making a lot of mistakes on neighbouring areas. I kind of wish that he came in more than just 2 parts. Ah well, he should be pretty fun otherwise.

post-13371-0-98634000-1481001276_thumb.jpg

I used MSP Brilliant Green and MSP Sapphire Blue.

• Like 13
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I put off working on this guy for a couple of days because I was feeling pretty down, but now I'm feeling better and back at it! 

So not too much of an update right now and I'm actually still working on him right now, but I wanted to go ahead and do tonight's update so that I don't forget what paints I used as I'm likely going to expand out the base at the end, unless I manage to run out of time....which is possible. ::P:

So starting out with a base of Brown Liner, I then did a heavy drybrush of MSP Ruddy Brown....then I attempted to drybrush with Warcolours Brown 2 and Brown 1, but those colours are so translucent that they don't really work very well for drybrushing. So then I switched to a drybrush of MSP Cat's Eye Base, then MSP Chestnut Gold, then MSP Golden Shadow. Then I did a light drybrushing of MSP Linen White, then a few spots of MSP Brilliant Green. Lastly, I did a wash of GW Agrax Earthshade.

post-13371-0-64146100-1481348280_thumb.jpg

Once that was all done and dry, I did a couple more coats on the dragon with MSP Sapphire Blue which is turning really very vibrant and pretty. The sculpt is really a pain in the spots between and beside the frog's legs, but it's otherwise really nice. I just have to get creative about brush angles.

C&C always very, very welcome!

• Like 10

Nice choice of figure.  My wife is collecting the whole DS Critter Kingdom line.

The Egg

Thanks! My idea was to slowly paint my way through all of the frogs as presents for my father and slowly paint my way through all of the cats as presents for my mother. They're such fun sculpts, hopefully they enjoy them as much as I do!

• Like 1

I should've updated this earlier in the day after painting on him yesterday and before I started painting on him again tonight, but I'm still just basecoating things so it's not really a big deal.

First of all, for reference sake for anyone painting this figure in the future, there's this:

post-13371-0-44022300-1481517559_thumb.jpg

While I was basecoating the dragon, I thought that it was part of his backleg.....then I realized that his back legs are much further up so then I couldn't figure out what part of his anatomy it was meant to be. Referencing back to Marike's version on the Dark Sword site, she painted it as a rock. I don't understand why there's one very smooth rock there where there are no other rocks, but since I can't think of anything else it could reasonably be, I will also paint it up as a rock at some point.

So if you've looked in on any of my WIPs the past couple of months, you know that I use Warcolours paints a lot and I have frequently commented that they tend to run very translucent. As it turned out, I had bought the entire set of their "layering" paints. In addition to that, I had not realized that they also have a "One Coat" basecoat set so when they were 15% off for Black Friday, I ordered all of those. I just got them on Saturday and I'm already super impressed. They're super pigmented, but at the same time they're a more fluid consistency than the layering paints. However, I still thinned them just slightly because they did seem just a little thick once on the figure. But let me tell you, they're not kidding when they call them "One Coat". All of the ones that I used below were seriously done in one coat. The only thing to note, aside from the fact that I recommend thinning them a little, is that they dry pretty glossy, which is especially obvious next to the very matte MSP paints. I'll find out soon if that causes any kind of issue with layering on top of them.

I used Warcolours One Coat (which I will henceforth refer to as WOC) Red for the dragon's fin and insides. WOC Beige for the dragon's claws and the slivers of bone as well as for the frog's lower jaw area. WOC Grey over most of the armor - it's a very light grey so it might not be obvious in the pictures.

post-13371-0-46629300-1481516342_thumb.jpgpost-13371-0-41087300-1481516343_thumb.jpg

Lastly, again for the benefit of anyone looking to paint this guy, this area between the loops of the tail:

post-13371-0-94130700-1481516343_thumb.jpg

Worst thing ever. It's ridiculously difficult to wedge a brush in there without getting paint everywhere. As I type this, I've noticed that I can see a little spot of primer peeking out at me. I really, really wish that this figure was in more parts.

C&C very, very welcome as always!

• Like 12

Ok.....so I've neglected updating this WIP for a while....my bad. I was going to update last two nights, but then I went to bed instead.

So I decided to go all in on the armour. It's not the greatest NMM...in fact, let's just call it faux NMM and we're certainly going to call it good enough NMM because I have to get this guy done within the next 2 days! Feedback would be very much appreciated on it though, even though I don't have time to work on it any longer on this model. One of these days NMM will hopefully click for me. It does look a little better in person. These pics got super washed out.

post-13371-0-09592900-1482255382_thumb.jpgpost-13371-0-14270700-1482255383_thumb.jpg

I re-basecoated the armour with black. Then I worked my way up from 50/50 black and Warcolours Cool Grey 4, continuing in 50/50 increments through Warcolours Cool Grey 3 through 1 and all the way up to very small highlights of pure white. Did a glaze of Cool Grey 3 to try to smooth out the transitions and then re-highlighted the white parts.

The golds started with Warcolours Ochre 3, worked up in 50/50 increments up through Ochre 2 and 1 and then brightest highlights with pure white. Then a glaze of Ochre 4, then re-highlighted the white parts.

Next I'm either going to work on the dragon's skin or the frog's skin. But I really, really do need to speed things along a bit.

C&C always very, very welcome!

• Like 9

its a good attempt but the NMM is hard to sell when it is all even regardless of where the plate/scale is on the armor.  I think, mind you i could not do it myself, you have to adjust it to allow for the play of the light across the contours of the mini just like other highlights. Kuro would be a good one to get feedback from.

• Like 1

its a good attempt but the NMM is hard to sell when it is all even regardless of where the plate/scale is on the armor.  I think, mind you i could not do it myself, you have to adjust it to allow for the play of the light across the contours of the mini just like other highlights. Kuro would be a good one to get feedback from.

I don't think it really is even, I think it's just getting washed out because I have bad lighting and take bad pictures. You could be right though, I obviously don't know what the problem is or I'd have some kind of clue on how to correct it. I'm wondering if I layered up too gradually, so there aren't enough high contrast spots with black and white next to each other. Either way, I think it reads as being very highly highlighted dark grey rather than metallic.

I spent the evening working on the dragon's skin and I really like how it turned out.

I started out placing my usual highlights, doing thin layers in 50/50 increments starting with 50/50 MSP Sapphire Blue and Warcolours Turquoise 4, then straight Turquoise 4, then 50/50 Turquoise 4 and 3, then straight Turquoise 3, then 50/50 Turquoise 3 and 2.

When I got to straight Turquoise 2, instead of continuing to highlight, I started making tiny dots all over the skin for the scales. Then I made a 50/50 mix of Turquoise 2 and 1 and made more little dots and then I did more little dots with straight Turquoise 1 just in the highlighted spots. SO. MANY. DOTS.

post-13371-0-20048500-1482306338_thumb.jpgpost-13371-0-60049300-1482306342_thumb.jpgpost-13371-0-62030300-1482306346_thumb.jpgpost-13371-0-33368600-1482306349_thumb.jpg

C&C always very, very welcome.

• Like 9