Sign in to follow this  
Smokestack

The Other Side

A new Kickstarter from Wyrd, makers of Malifaux. It starts in about 8 days.

GAMEPLAY

The Other Side is a streamlined game intended to be easy to pick up and learn while still providing an exciting, tactical experience for players.

The epic battles taking place across the Earth are played out on a 6 x 4 table with scattered, light terrain. Alternating activations keep you involved in the action every step of the way, while a five turn game keeps the fighting quick and bloody. The average game lasts about two hours.

The Other Side is won and lost by how well your troops complete their mission, creating an ebb and flow to the battle as objectives are fiercely contested throughout the entire game.

Glory

The Other Side takes the traditional idea of morale in wargames and turns it on its head by focusing on the inspiration that leads soldiers to greatness on the battlefield rather than the moments of panic and fear that make them break formation and flee.

Every unit in the game has a stat card with two sides: its standard side and its Glory side. When certain conditions are met, units are able to flip their card over and go into Glory. While in Glory, units have better stats, better actions, and abilities that can truly turn the tide of battle in their favor!

Don’t cower in fear of morale any more -- rise to greatness; rise to Glory!

Stratagems

Battles are won and lost by more than individual troops. There are lines of supply, hovering zeppelins, and magical rituals that might have a significant impact upon the outcome of a battle. These advantages are represented by Stratagems.

Stratagems are used by shrewd Commanders as the battle unfolds around them, allowing them to call in reinforcements, unleash experimental weapons, or exploit the current battlefield conditions to gain an edge over their foes.

All of these gambits require your Commander’s attention to unleash, however, and knowing when to take advantage of a Stratagem will be something that separates the greatest generals of the era from those that are forgotten by history.

Fight for your Allegiance

Select an Allegiance and choose which of its mighty Commanders will lead your Company into battle to defeat its foes.

Commanders are able to hire troops from their loyal followers after learning their mission, ensuring that they always bring the units that are best suited to claiming victory.

Those units might be Champions, highly trained warriors who bring their skill and tactical cunning to the battlefield, Squads of troops whose greatest asset is their strength of numbers, or even the colossal Titans, devastating engines of war which are capable of enduring - and unleashing - a withering amount of firepower.

GAME COMPONENTS

Below is a look at some of the components used in The Other Side.

Stat Cards

The Other Side focuses on a streamlined experience that brings the specific rules of each Allegiance and unit to the forefront with stat cards.

At just a glance, you can see what your units are capable of doing, making it easier to focus on outmaneuvering your enemies. Combined with Asset and Stratagem cards, this puts all the information you need right at your fingertips.

Models

Magic, steampunk, monsters, and soldiers collide to make the battlefields of The Other Side action-packed. In order to get you into the action sooner, every model in The Other Side will come preassembled and ready for play!

The Other Side also takes advantage of movement bases that allow small groups of models - known as Fireteams - to act independently during the game, making gameplay smooth and easy despite the number of models on the table.

The models in The Other Side are 32mm scale with high levels of detail, allowing painters plenty of opportunity to paint their Champions, Squads, and Titans in whatever way they wish.

Fate Deck

The Other Side uses a standard deck of cards, known as a Fate Deck, in order to resolve conflict. It’s as simple as flipping a card, adding your stat, and comparing it to a target number.

The Fate Deck gives players control over their Companies in the form of the Control Hand. Cards in your Control Hand can be used to replace flipped cards, ensuring that the actions you want to succeed won’t fail at a critical moment. Say farewell to all those rolled 1s!

THE ALLEGIANCES

The Other Side currently has four Allegiances, listed below. More information on these Allegiances can be found by clicking on an image below!

Edited by Darsc Zacal
Merged topics

So, I am excited for this. Malifaux has some great models... but are really complex. These will be preassembled. I am really liking the Abyssinia Faction. They are future Ethiopian Empire. Like the mecha. Though I like the Kings Hand from the British faction better...

• Like 3

Link? not yet.  Just on the Wyrd site with a countdown.  I'm definitely going to cherry pick some figures, I'm just not sure I'm in for the whole Kickstarter.  Will have to see what the end of December and January brings.  I do like the movement bases they have setup for the smaller figures.  As I have a boxful of Wyrd parts needing to be built out, I'm not in a dire rush to jump right in with both feet... and yes, I know, these are supposed to be somewhat prebuilt (or entirely? who knows)... but that could be both good and bad for some of the sculpts they have revealed so far.  Definitely will take a look at it... but...

• Like 1

I am probably in on this, but not a huge fan of their pre-builts.  The Malifaux scenario boxes have the pre-built models, also, and there are some killer mold lines (at least in the tortoise and hare box) that are very difficult to clean up while assembled.

Wyrd is presenting The Other Side, a larger-scale (think Warmachine, or maybe even 40k) game set in the same universe as Malifaux. It's played on a larger board (6'x4', IIRC, I'll correct this later).

It is supposed to go live at 3PM EST. I will post a link and more info when it does.

Stay tuned!

Merged the threads.

A general reminder. Please remember to do a search for an existing thread on a Kickstarter before starting a new one.

Yeah, I know I am spoiled by reaper kickstarters, but $99 for 1 faction that is a leader and 3 units of 9 guys... plus the rule book. To get the Titan associated with the faction is $160 buy in or a $75 add on... Stretch goals are at the $160 level, and are badges and t-shirts... Sadly I don't think this is for me... Though it funded so its clearly for some...

Even just adding on a squad is $40.... Le sigh... Oh well that will let me save money for something else.

• Like 1

I'm underwhelmed by what I've seen. Compared with the Kingdom Death KS it just looks so uninspiring and unoriginal

• Like 1