Sign in to follow this  
CoolAliasHere

14022: Lysette, Elven Mage (as Allana of the Glade)

I think the colour composition is quite beautiful. The green appears rich and deep and is a perfect match to the subtly highlighted red of the hair. Details, while well executed and pronounced through your colour choices, do not overshadow the clear focus: Her dress and hair. The ruby does indeed add another focal point for the eye, incorporating the staff into the piece.

The only suggestion I would have is to apply a controlled wash to the blade and to enhance its brightness towards the top of the blade, so that it appears less flat.

I think the colour composition is quite beautiful. The green appears rich and deep and is a perfect match to the subtly highlighted red of the hair. Details, while well executed and pronounced through your colour choices, do not overshadow the clear focus: Her dress and hair. The ruby does indeed add another focal point for the eye, incorporating the staff into the piece.

The only suggestion I would have is to apply a controlled wash to the blade and to enhance its brightness towards the top of the blade, so that it appears less flat.

Thanks for the kind words, and for the suggestion!  My phone doesn't take the best pictures.  There is a green wash over the blade, which I think is what darkened it.  I think I will try to hit the edges of the sword with a bit of a highlight, maybe Mithril, and see if that adds a little dimension to it.  Thanks again for the suggestion!

CAH

You totally nailed the color composition in this one. The very realistic hair complements the velvety green of her dress perfectly. Awesome!

• Like 1

You totally nailed the color composition in this one. The very realistic hair complements the velvety green of her dress perfectly. Awesome!

Thank you very much.  I have been trying to push myself to use wet blending and layering over simple washes when it comes to clothing and skin tones.  Still have a ways to go, but each piece is a learning tool. 

Good job!

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words!

CAH

• Like 1

I like it a lot. Would love to have it as a PC. Is your friend going to use it on the table?

I do believe he is.  Its a character he's been playing for a few months, but didn't have a mini to use for her.  He's been using a D&D mini one of our group had.  He's super stoked to have his own now. 

CAH

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ash Adler
      After almost a month of working on it, I finally managed to finish this one.  Whew! It was fun to try to push myself further with blending colors using glazing (and the sheer cloth look turned out decent, too), but I really underestimated how much trouble it'd be when I started on it.

As usual, more pictures and my thought process are on my blog: link

I could've done with a bit more red glazing on the front of the skirt, but otherwise, I'm rather pleased with the results that I got from the parts that I really put effort into (I took the lazy way out on some parts towards the end because I was ready to just be done with it so that I could move on to something new ).  The jump in the color on the hair where I did a second ink wash with purple is very stark in the photo, but I think that it's one of those things that doesn't look nearly as bad in reality.

I'm also pleased that I figured out a better way of lighting my photos, even if it helps show off my mistakes more clearly

C&C welcome
    • By Ash Adler
      I got a bunch of these with my last order, so I figured they'd make some good practice.  Bonus points for having a major cloth area, so it'd be a chance to make up for the poor job I did of blending the layers on the cloth of my last mini.

As ever, more pictures and my thought process are on my blog: link

All in all, I'm very happy with how this one went.  The cloth is MUCH better than what I did last time, I think the hair looks good for my first time doing an orange-leaning brunette (though I should've pushed the highlights further; a recurring problem for me), the flower and sword sheath came out pretty clean despite my trepidation about such minute details (my buckles are sloppy, but those are so damned small, I just don't have the brush control to do them cleanly yet [and it didn't help that my hands were shaky since I tried to do them soon after my weekend challenge workout ] ), and while I don't think I quite managed to get the wood-to-bone transmuting effect that I was going for on the primary weapon, I do think that I got a decent transition between the two colors, considering that my only previous experience with blending between different colors was Necromancer.

Is there an alternative to shading fine textures like hair aside from either washing or spending ages doing really fine layering?  I dislike relying so much on Agrax skillshade, but I just don't see a good way of avoiding it with those types of details because I just don't have it in me to put in the time that the latter would take seeing as it takes me 5-10 hours to do a single mini at my present skill level.

C&C welcome
    • By Pochi
      These are two figures I did for table top. I started Lysette awhile back before I learned a different way to do eyes. When I picked her back up, I decided not to redo the eyes so she has a "deer in the headlights" look about her. I tried several different things on her - glazing, a little "what happens if I add purple and yellow to her red hair?", and a touch of two brush blending.

Alastriel also got to be a guinea pig. She got my first dark skin tone, two brush blending, and freehand. It was a good lesson in what worked and what didn't and how to improve on the next one. Alastriel isn't based yet. I think she may get some sand.

Anyway, I have just been trying out some different techniques and trying to up my skill. I want to enter a painting competition so I need more practice!

• By Fremen
      Hi everyone,

This is the Bones version of Lysette that I got with my Kickstarter.  Started her last November when it was cold and thought "Let's paint her in a winter theme."  Well, now it's no longer cold, but she's done. I painted the metal version of her long time ago for my Warlord Elves, but that was sort of a green Spring theme, so I had fun taking her in a different direction.

Feedback welcome!  Thanks for looking.
    • By Citrine
      Finally finished Lysette (Bones 77076), who were meant to enter the beauty pageant, but she got lost on my work table...

Also finished Lindir (Bones 77021) at last, he was lost on that same workbench for about 9 months...

• Who's Online   15 Members, 0 Anonymous, 137 Guests (See full list)