Sign in to follow this  
Wumby

Not your typical "how to do eyes" request

So, I'm working on this Rivet Wars figure.

pn80Z7VCydoe-u2c_ukYRb9xY0d4tKO6yj6qQJMC

I'm thinking of giving him brown eyes, but didn't know if it would look better by leaving a black outline around the eye.  Not looking at painting his eyes to look like regular eyes, but any thoughts on what to do rather than a brown orb with a black dot for an iris would be welcome.  Thank you.  BTW, can't remember where I found him, but he isn't from the game, he is about 3 inches tall.

• Like 1

Maybe open the pic in Photoshop or GIMP and try a few digital mock-ups?  That way you can see some different approaches without having to add any paint to the figure.

Personally, I kind of like the simple black dots.  They give the mini sort of a PlayMobil quality.

Edited by Dr_Automaton

James Wappel painted up some of these for Ted Terranova (he may have actually done the whole studio army, but don't quote me on that!).  He had a Blight and Allied trooper tutorial he did. It might not be the way you want to paint them, but it might give you a few ideas. Links to vids here:

Allied:  https://youtu.be/zkwOmmqbTWI

Blight: https://youtu.be/1mLgzLTe-Ng

Edited by Bloodhowl

I'd ping odinsgrandson on it.  He is our chibi expert and will likely have great advice for you.

Also try Jessica Rich (aka Brushmistress on these forums).  She did a fantastic job on a Super Dungeon Explore Sorceress that won an award on WAMP in 2010. You could try sending her a PM and see if she is willing to share her secrets.

• Like 1

Odinsgrandson and James Wappel do some bang-up jobs.  I'm thinking of leaning toward the Playmobil look and trying to figure out if I needed a "separation line" between the brown eye and the flesh of the cheek.  Thank you for all the tips.

Are you talking about painting the entire eye brown and the putting a black dot in the center?  As long as the brown isn't too close of a share to the skin tone, I don't think you would need a black line around the eyes.

For me, I'd probably put some of the white of the eye in there too.  Hard because the eye is a circle.  I definitely wouldn't put the brown right in the center and then surround that with white.  I have him looking left or right, have the brown iris go all the way from the top to the bottom of the eye, but be a bit more oval in shape.  Then you can add a crescent of white to one side.

Either way, after you add a black dot I'd add a second white dot (off center, overlapping the black dot a bit, but mostly on the brown) to represent a catch light.

Take a look at images of anime eyes for reference.  Might give you some more ideas as well.