Komplex

So some lunatics bought Kaladrax for me... [Updated: 13th Dec]

Good Luck!

So far Kaladrax looks very good!

I like the "bloodied Skeleton" look.

Thank you ^_^

I seem to favour gory minis, haha, so going for a freshly reanimated with newly made shreds of flesh sort of look, rather than old rotten flesh. Figure it should keep him nice and bright ^_^ 

• Like 2

Wait, you can paint Kaladrax at a leisurely pace and with large brushes??? :huh:::o: Why didn't anyone tell me this?!?!

::P:

He's looking great! Have fun with the beastie! ^_^

• Like 8

Nice!

Yeah, Kally has parts made of two different types of Bonesium. I'm guessing that the two softer parts was to make casting and releasing easier. 

(I'm 'almost finished' cleaning the mould lines of him myself... )

Instead of that spray primer, you could have used Reaper's Brown Liner(just remember to sing Buglips' praise while doing so) as that works just as well as most primers on Bones, and doesn't leave it sticky.

Your version is a bit too gory for my liking, but it's a real eyepopper. 

(I need to get some of that Agrax Earthshade soon... )

• Like 1

Wait, you can paint Kaladrax at a leisurely pace and with large brushes??? :huh:::o: Why didn't anyone tell me this?!?!

Because I collect tears and anguish. The Unholy Apparatus of Grol Kyymosh doesn't run on hugs and kisses, you know. If you have a better way to open a gate to the Infinite Hells, sugarsocks, I'd like to hear it.

It's like you can't even into dark sorcery.

• Like 6

That is one freshly flayed Drax!  Impressively grisly.

^^ Ta - grisly's my thing, haha. My Nethyrmaul is alarmingly slimey, for instance. 

::P:

He's looking great! Have fun with the beastie! ^_^

Heh xD 

Thanks =] hoping I manage to see him through to the end without losing momentum.

Nice!

Yeah, Kally has parts made of two different types of Bonesium. I'm guessing that the two softer parts was to make casting and releasing easier. 

(I'm 'almost finished' cleaning the mould lines of him myself... )

Instead of that spray primer, you could have used Reaper's Brown Liner(just remember to sing Buglips' praise while doing so) as that works just as well as most primers on Bones, and doesn't leave it sticky.

Your version is a bit too gory for my liking, but it's a real eyepopper. 

(I need to get some of that Agrax Earthshade soon... )

That's fair - I unfortunately live in the UK, and without doing another full sized order, brown liner isn't too easily aquired over here (I don't think, at least). I also hate hand priming with the fires of thousand suns ^^; I did wonder if his softer were bits were made softer for that reason, it's not too big a deal, just surprised me a bit. I used Army Painter because I use it on all my Bones with no issue. That he's gone sticky on the two softer bits is just a minor inconvenience for now, so long as I keep him off fabric it's not the end of the world. 

Also fair is your preference for less gore - I know it's not for everyone, but I see quite a lot of 'drier' looking Kallys, so wanted to try something different. That, and Chaos themed dragons appealed to me far too much - Kally = Khorne, Nethyrmaul = Nurgle, now just to find a nice feathery one for Tzeentch and one I can sculpt boobs onto for Slaanesh. 

Agrax I'm very fond of, but I find it smells really earthy xD it's quite bizarre. 

• Like 2

Good luck!

You're off to a very impressive start.

Thank you <3 

Miniature Market have Brown Liner in stock, and they have cheaper shipping... 

(They also have a lot of Reaper paints at half price... )

Fair enough - did not realise this. 

It's a little late for Kally, of course, but if I ever get another with the notably squishier bits, I'll order some ^^ thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

The plasticizers in the Bonesium PVC are going to give you a bad time with most aerosol spray paints and primers, especially the squishy bits. It's better to just degrease them and brush on a good solid base coat; with Reaper brown liner if you can get it, but any good acrylic paint should do the job.

I know this seems a repeat of what others have said, but it is important. Tacky spray primer may give your subsequent paint layers an unstable base, making them easily scratched off under even gentle handling conditions.

• Like 1

The plasticizers in the Bonesium PVC are going to give you a bad time with most aerosol spray paints and primers, especially the squishy bits. It's better to just degrease them and brush on a good solid base coat; with Reaper brown liner if you can get it, but any good acrylic paint should do the job.

I know this seems a repeat of what others have said, but it is important. Tacky spray primer may give your subsequent paint layers an unstable base, making them easily scratched off under even gentle handling conditions.

Kally's not my first rodeo in terms of Bones - just his overly squishy bits were a bit of a curveball to me. Your mileage may vary, but I've honestly had no issue with Army Painter on any Bones that aren't obviously rubbery. Kally's a little quirky, but the paint is still adhering fine to even his gently sticky bits. However, as I've said, I'll grab some liner for next time if I get another with squishy bits.

The only time I've had issues with paint coming off is when I've overhandled anyway (I have quite acidic skin apparently, lol) and the use of primers of any variety seem to be irrelevant in that situation, or when I've painted straight onto Bones and forgotten to wash the miniature first (my first Bones dragon had this issue, I resolved it eventually and also hugely reduced my handling of him, and all was well). 

• Like 3