CAV as RPing

Lady Tam

Here's a thought. Do you think CAV will ever branch off into a RPing version for those of us, who would a) like to play with big machines but aren't fond of wargaming and b) for those of us who like to RP. Was wondering, because I fins myself missing my ol RIFTS days when we got to play with big machines, but still had to role play.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a thought. Do you think CAV will ever branch off into a RPing version for those of us, who would a) like to play with big machines but aren't fond of wargaming and b) for those of us who like to RP. Was wondering, because I fins myself missing my ol RIFTS days when we got to play with big machines, but still had to role play.

Hear Hear!!!!

As an avid Mechwarrior II player, it is almost going to take this to get me playing CAV, not that I'm not close to biting, this is just the final puch that i would need.

Will it ever branch off? Yes.

Anytime soon? Not likely.

The scuttlebutt 2 years ago was there was preliminary work being done on a CAV RPG, but it wouldn't be out until both Warlord miniatures game and a Warlord RPG were done.

Cool! I'm patient. ^_^

It's not worth it if it's not worth waiting for. :upside:

And D20 Modern is easy to adapt. In fact D20 Modern is VERY EASY to adapt, if you understand how the SRD works, and if not, Mongoose is printing a guide to D20 Modern, that if it works as well as the Fantasy one... it is VERY easy to adapt.

Of course the reality is by the time this RP happens, most likely there will be OTHER RPGs taking the market, but that is just me

Back to work, as it were (and no it has NOTHING to do with CAV)

Of course there is something about striking when the iron is hot...

Well, I don't mind waiting, but I would like to see the Adon RPG finished first. been waiting some time for that too. sigh. Maybe we need some more writers? Enthusiastic people who are willing to work for peanuts? (Or just for the pure thrill of getting thier name in print and contributing to such endeavors!)

Personally, I find Gurps to be a fine system for just about everything. I realize that not all will agree, but Roleplaying with big robots is just the basic book and the Mecha supplement. You'd just have to ignore the anime influence.

2 cents from a guy who just started a new AD&D 2nd Ed game. (I have learned to wholly despise D20)

Gurps Mecha is a Fine Book, with a very realistic method to design mecha compared to some other systems I've seen. The anime influence comes primarily from special abilities for characters and the "transforming" option on the chassis. I Imagine you could build a very workable CAV from those rules.

That being said, if/when the CAV RPG comes to fruition it will most likely be in the Guise of a d20 product. Guardians of order makes a fine product for d20 called "d20 Mecha" that has a point build system for any type of machine you can imagine (from literally a bicycle up to something on the scale of Space Battleship Yamato or the SDF-3.) I toyed around with building CAV's using that system, but didn't get too far as I have the attention span of a gnat hyped up on caffeine when it comes to RPG's.

You may find the D20 system used by Mongoose to be easier to work with. It does not cover all from Gnats to Spaceships, just the range of weights and sizes that CAVs come in.

Also for those who have played Tech at one point or another, they will be struck by how similar the system looks and feels, so it will be easy to do.

By the way, WHEN I have time I will just futz with building a Rhino... I need to add a very small thing to it, and that is the Nano system, but making that change should be very easy indeed.

As to MW 3, it is a very good system, (yes I am biased to a point) but right at the moment am afraid I have no patience for Tech, or for that matter time.

No Orchid, I definately mean MechWarrior 3rd Edition. We can play MechWarrior II if you want, but I doubt we could find an online server running such an old game.

Then again, perhaps we could since it's a classic :o)

Ya but folks i think something your missing is that if there is a CAV RPG you'll be more likley to see tanks, planes and APC's then CAV's thats why it will be a RPG

d20 mecha games a cool and all, but i'd rather just go play CAV.

But being able to play a RPG in the CAV universe, do covert missions, smuggling yada yada yada..now that would be fun.

Patrick "Mad Pat" Haughton

Dallas Texas