CAV as RPing

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya but there are more then just Modern Stats and a D20Mecha book.

What about Racial mods? Feats? Skills? how do you handle Soft/Hard damage?

Personally I'd rather not see and of the CAV's stated out till last.

Patrick "Mad Pat" Haughton

Dallas Texas

See, what it sounds to me like you want is a way to put a specific character (with abilities/perks/flaws/etc. )into the cockpit of your CAV, not roleplay in the CAV universe.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just clarifying your intentions.

Nope would probably be better for the RPG if we never saw CAV's except as something to run from.

You know until we get high enough level we go hunt a light CAV in a urban environment like hunting dragons in D&D

the outcome of a CAV vs. low level pc encounter should be a wet spot on the street either from a scared player or a dead player.

CAV has a pretty significant universe to explore, and tons of stuff to do that don't involve driving a CAV.

Now having access to stuff like APC's and light aircraft would be a big bonus, but not a must have.

Start with a RPG in the universe and then release the big toys after folks have started playing.

Dallas Texas

See, what it sounds to me like you want is a way to put a specific character (with abilities/perks/flaws/etc. )into the cockpit of your CAV, not roleplay in the CAV universe.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just clarifying your intentions.

Well, if I'm playing a merc I want to be able to take him/her out on the field, otherwise what's the point of playing any particular game. (not being snotty, just asking)

Hehehe, I can picture it now......

GM: Okay Bill and Fred, you see a Rhino crest the hill in front of you.

Bill: Oh crap....

Fred: stuff!

GM: Yes guys. Okay, now make a Ref Save to see if you take damage as your CAV gets slammed by volkswagen sized hypersonic slugs. And Bill, make your piloting roll to resist damage.

Bill: Oh poo, a 12. And a 6.... we're hurt

Fred: Crapola, a 4

GM: [rolling dice] Okay Bill, you take 4 damage and Fred, you take 10. Now, make a Fort Save to see if you barf as your torso turns into a 'spinning top of doom' for defensive fire. Your CAV is hurting a lot, -4 to all CAV related rolls.

Bill: Oh I ain't liking this..... (rolls dice) oh dang, a 10

Fred: Who-hoo, a 18

GM: Okay Bill, you barf all over your control panel as your AI returns fire. Fred, you're head's hurting but you're still conscious. Now, Fred, make a target lock attempt.

Fred: Okay, it's.... okay. (Rolls dice) Cool! I got a 20!

GM: (Rolling dice) Fair enough Fred. You're skill with the electronics lets you burn though the Rhino's ECM and as soon as you lock, your AI fires your weapons for you.... full broadside right Fred?

Fred: Sure, why not......

GM: Okay, the missiles hit but don't breach the Rhino's super thick scaly skin, but your gauss cannons manage to significantly harm the right hip and you slough off armour from the torso. Now, Bill and Fred, make Fort Saves again.

Fred: Oh I'm so barfing, a 1.

Bill: You and me both mate, a 1 also.

GM: (evil gleam in the eye) Both your bodies are wracked with voilent convulsions. It seems the Rhino's Maxims blew away your inertial dampener's motivator and your both thrown around the cockpit like rag dolls. Both take 10 damage.

Fred: I'm out cold, and dying too.

Bill: I'm hanging on by 1 hit point.... time to run I think.

GM: Sorry guys, the Rhino pilot got natural 20. You're getting locked.... Fred, roll to resist lock... oh wait, you're dead. Well, Bill won't be far behind :o)

Fred: For the love of god dude, that's the 4th set of characters we've lost.

GM: That Rhino's a 10th level Pilot and a 15th level Wizzo. You're both 1st level. Them's the breaks.

Bill: Well, can we roll for our CAV next time?

GM: CAV? There ain't no CAV's left guys, it's tank time for you two.

Fred & Bill: Oh joy

That was good Leech, that was good indeed. Everyone keeps pushing the d20 thing or GURPS, but in my in my one, and brief, excursion into any type of mecha playing we used Rifts, which worked out pretty well. And was kind of fun, then the guy running the game quite playing with us because his work schedule got all messed up.

how about this one.

Ok so you shoulder your AT-23 and fire at the Rhino...great you hit, roll your damage..umm what a shame not quite enough.

ok so reflex saves please...why well the Rhino is conducting defensive fire...yep...ya I know its it bit harsh...you got a one eh...ummm roll a percentile dice for me please...20% ya thats whats left when they come back for you.

soooo who's got a back up character.

I hate to break this to you, but as much as I prefer the crunchie, no use of Giant Walkign Robots kind of RPing... in my experience Players who play a Mecha game... WANT to PILOT that big hunking thing of Metal.

Hence whether the system has it or not, once the game is released (someday) people will find a way to PLAY with them Giant Waking Robots... if not, why the heck would I buy CAV the Role Playing Game? There are PLENTY of fine Role Playing Games out there who do other things FINE. And there are PLENTY of games out there who also DO Mecha RPing FINE... some of the competitors right now:

MechWarrior Three, no it is no longer a pilot generator, but it is a FINE game which includes Giant Walking Robots... for personal reasons and lack of time I no longer play it, but that is another story.

Heavy Gear... so they are not quite giant, but they are Mecha, and it comes in two flavors, D20 and native system... and both are FINE systems (DID I mention Gier Krieg for those of us with a bent for WW II)

Armagedon 2089, FINE game, with FINE Mecha and GOOD CAMPAIGN rules from the git go. Again it is NOT a pilot generator but if a player wants to run the gritty Hallbirton campaign (sorry could not help throwing this in, or Vinell) they can.. thank you, and it includes GenDef's providing them wth... you guessed it, MEK's, and other assets.

Of course Rifts is there as well but hey, why shuold I even mention those, huh? (Golden boys are almost able to take a nuke, but hey nobody said it had to be "realistic.")

By the way, this is a blind spot for some, but players WANT to play with them Giants... whether they are Called Mecha, Mechs, CAVs, MEKs, Gier Kriegs or Heavy Gears... those are the ARCHETYPES and SYMBOLS of those universes. If, for some reason, those are not included... players will say NO THANK YOU. And to be brutally honest I cannot and will not blame the players.

You and I would have lots of fun since our style of play does NOT include them from the git go... but most players, and parties ARE NOT like us. Of course a succesful RPG REQUIRES a rich background to immerse the players into... and what we have right now published is NOT enough.

By the way, this is a blind spot for some, but players WANT to play with them Giants... whether they are Called Mecha, Mechs, CAVs, MEKs, Gier Kriegs or Heavy Gears... those are the ARCHETYPES and SYMBOLS of those universes. If, for some reason, those are not included... players will say NO THANK YOU. And to be brutally honest I cannot and will not blame the players.

You and I would have lots of fun since our style of play does NOT include them from the git go... but most players, and parties ARE NOT like us. Of course a succesful RPG REQUIRES a rich background to immerse the players into... and what we have right now published is NOT enough.

heh heh heh, very true. We actually played a RIFTs game were we were the crew for one of those big Mecha they had to offer. Was fun. Robotech allowed you to play with mecha too didn't it? Personally I like variety. Sometimes the same ol' same ol' gets...boring. So for fun every now and then it nice to try something new, play something new. But then that is just the Sagitarian in me. Variety IS the spice of life!

Hey I never said I didn't wand CAV's in the game, just the main focus should be on the rest of the world. CAV's should be something special.

But there is tons to do in the CAV universe as well.

Spec ops teams, going behind enemy lines, Corp espionage getting the latest weapons plans, weapons smuggling running blockades, news crews on the trail of the latest scoop.

By all means we should have the ability to drive CAV's or at the least quick playable conversion rules to mesh the two games (which would be better to me)

All I was saying is perhaps, the RPG game should focus on your average guy on the ground, and not the ACE/ACE rhino crew.

Dallas Texas

Well, since the only system I know well enough to be comfortable with modding is Shadowrun 3rd, I got to thinking. The rules for riggers (think mind in the machine stuff) wouldn't be too difficult to apply to the CAV universe and the skills and mechanics are already there pretty much.

Sure, I'd have to fudge up some stats for the CAV's, and bimp out on the tanks and other units, but I don't think it'd be too difficult.

Then it'd just be players..... and characters :o) I dare say a couple of people 'trained' to pilot and a couple 'trained' to be Wizzos would work. Crunchie style power armour and Squishie style flak armour already exist, so those aren't a problem at all.

It could work..... if people are interested enough.

And you get a price for being creative.

::D:

I keep going back to the SRD because that is what I am working with right at the moment... hence I am VERY FAMILIAR with it.

But you are right, SR woudl work... riggers are it, and even some of the software systms, such as black ice, could be used to stop a unit.

And yes, you can say OUCh now.

Great all we need are folks wirelessly hacking opposing CAV's to shut down systems.

Or Mr. Johnson hiring out that new Rhino Pilot

what I find is really amusing is I'm in the middle of converting over Modern to use the shadow run fluff so the folks I RPG with who are more familiar with d20 will feel more at home with shadowrun.

Dallas Texas