CAV as RPing

Lady Tam

Though I only post twice a week at most I am thinking of offering this ( a CAV RPG) using GURPS. And yes it would lead to getting a CAV and hiring out for missions and having things that don't require the CAV. Role Playing in other words.

The reason being that I picked up a copy of the Starter Set and while reading through the rules I was impressed with the background. Easy to set up something in such a detailed background. I look forward to getting the minis on the table as well.

I would choose GURPS because I have GURPS and have no intention of buying any more RPGs. I have my Favorites already (Call of Cthulhu and AD&D 2nd edition) a a variety of others for spice.

Look for it in the Sandbox.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great all we need are folks wirelessly hacking opposing CAV's to shut down systems.

Or Mr. Johnson hiring out that new Rhino Pilot

what I find is really amusing is I'm in the middle of converting over Modern to use the shadow run fluff so the folks I RPG with who are more familiar with d20 will feel more at home with shadowrun.

Patrick "Mad Pat" Haughton

Dallas Texas

there are parts of the GAME MECHANICS you keep.

But fluff wise, obviouisly dragons and Mr. Johnson go away. though if you decide to play a game with shadows of the underground (and I will not go beyond this for fear of offering useful ideas) Mr Johnson or his equivalent do come in. What you think Fixers don't exist in real life? Just as fences, they do... and they are lots of fun.. really, espeicially when both are after the same crew and the negotiating includes Mr Beretta 9mm

By the way, you could certainly see the WZO job, in part, as a "hacking job." though he \she \it mostly is playing with making electronic noise.

But if you have computers, you have hackers, and if you have hackers you have things like Black Ice... speaking of which guess which firewarll I just removed from my laptop (since it was drivng ME batty). Black Ice... I am not kidding you. (Yes I did instanll another firewall which we like and found to be very friendly... sygate)

I could run a very craetive game of CAV, IF I HAD THE TIME, which I no longer do... work and all that you know.

Speaking of which, back tthe salt mines... as I need to find info on some nasty critters. And yesterday we had loads of fun at Gamesday LA... and boy those Golden Demon Award Entries were just AWESOME... in the metal or resin as it were. I entered, did not make first cut, but hey... I know my limits, was not expecting to.

::D:

Though I only post twice a week at most I am thinking of offering this ( a CAV RPG) using GURPS. And yes it would lead to getting a CAV and hiring out for missions and having things that don't require the CAV. Role Playing in other words.

The reason being that I picked up a copy of the Starter Set and while reading through the rules I was impressed with the background. Easy to set up something in such a detailed background. I look forward to getting the minis on the table as well.

I would choose GURPS because I have GURPS and have no intention of buying any more RPGs. I have my Favorites already (Call of Cthulhu and AD&D 2nd edition) a a variety of others for spice.

Look for it in the Sandbox.

I sugest you get yourself, IF YOU CAN FIND IT and don't own it, GURPS Mecha... it will have the building rules and SJG was forward looking enough where Nano Tech would be in there, as at lasst TL 13 if I am not missing my mark.

If you cannot find it, the latest GURPS Vehicle Rules will work just dandy,

And yes Nano Tech should be TL 13, if I am not missing my mark, and one slot.

Happy gaming,

Just as the SRD it works just fine.

Also be aware that SJG is releasing a new edition this Summer, which they claim will be backwards compatible.

If their claim is correct no prob.. but if this is not the case it could be trouble for new gamers will get new shiny books...

We alk know how that goes.

SJG has always been very good about keeping new editions of GURPS working with previously published stuff. Their series of GURPS compendiums is a good example of this, consolidating all kinds of special rules from different world books into a few easy-to-refernce volumes, which helped to cut down on the number of books you needed to buy (and that they had to try to keep in print).

I would expect this summer's releases to be even more a step in that direction.

It even looks like they separating all the stuff players need into a separate volume so only the GM needs to buy the campaign-related stuff.

Yes they usually do, I just used the caveats that usually are used whenever a new edition (for insert game here) comes out.

Sorry if this rubbed you the wrong way.

As is, GURPS and D20 are fine for running CAV, and so is Shadow Run... and so is Armagedon 2089... all you need is a creative GM willing to take what works, and dumping what does not work.

It is simple really.. in fact simpler than most realize.

It is like making terrain, it is very easy... but looks overwhelming.

Of cousre now I have to get myself some more of that pink stuff for making tables.

Ah the Boccage here we go...

The subject of hacking CAV's has come up before, and the answer was 'hardwired, sure; wireless, what you smoking?' I mean, come on, a military unit which is exposed to that kind of threat? It'd be really silly unless you had REALLY good protection, and we all know nothing's foolproof or infalliable so it's best to not do it.

In terms of Shadowrun rules, I was thinking of simply making it a case of the pilot having a VR helmet (same effect as datajack) and the 'Combat Assault Vehicle' skill and the wizzo having a VR helmet and Electronics and Computer skills. Gunnery skill might be useful, but currently, I doubt they'll need it.

Other than that, we're all sorted in terms of mechanics. Although I'm still thinking about making VR helmets count as level 1 VCR's as opposed to datajack ports.

Sounds workable. I already know a guy who used various adaptations of Shadowrun in the Battletech universe just because he hated the Battletech "label" RPG that FASA put out. We played a game where the "magic" attribute from SR became the "METAL!" attribute and got you a mech, higher priority given to the "magic" attribute got you more tonnage.... he eyeballed bonuses for piloting and gunnery and ran mech combat in Battletech rather than SR rules. Worked fine.

Just remember, Tech is a FAR LESS LETHAL system than CAV... so combat in a CAV, using CAV rules may mean making way too many characters just for one game session...

That is an observation by the way... there are ways of reducing the threat to players... but I am sure both of you can come up with them all on our own.

Sorry if I am not more helpful but there are reasons for that.

In the end, HAPPY GAMING, this is what this hobby is about.

Yeah, ICCM Biofilters are one way of limiting the lethality to players. Afterall, (Vehicle Body)M Stun isn't too hard to resist if you're wearing some impact armour.... although Supers with Hull/Bulwark instead of Body/Armour could get entertaining :o)

Ok - Not confirming any scuttlebut but I have HEARD OF a CAV RPG project.

Also - Dungeon/Polyhedron magazine did a Mecha Crusade issue with D20 rules for every kind of Mecha from CAVs to Voltron to transformers to Gundam. Issue # 95.

And i for one would DIE to play in a CAV RPG/Battletech RPG.

And the mistake was talking about it with fans before it was close to release.

Sorry pet peeve... not only CAV btw.

If you are not ready to release, DON'T even discuss it in public.

So far the worst offender was.... RIFTS with Warlords of Russia, only late by

ten years... if anybody has noticed after that cluster they no longer have a release schedule, or at least an official one.

That is another note of things NOT to do.

Well its really easy, REAPER isn't discussing it, WERE talking about how cool it would be. I've heard it bantered around because I know Reaper folks out of the office, but its in no way product on paper until they put it on the official roadmap.

We as players and fans of the games think it would be cool to develop the game past the cockpits of our CAV's

But again I tend to look for the brighter side of things, and believe in this game.. late product schedules, flaws in mini's or not, I see the potential not just what we don't have in front of us now.

Patrick "Mad Pat" Haughton

Dallas Texas