Sign in to follow this  
Matbar

Highlight advice

So I'm working on this guy as a gift, and I finally think I've twitched the purple on the body into something I like.  For the most part, I also like the red in the mane, tail, and bottom of the legs.  However, I am somehow hitting a brick wall when I try to think of what to use for bright highlights on the mane and tail.  I don't think any of the reds will be contrast enough, I really don't want to go pink, and I'm hesitant to try yellow for fear it will look too much like flames.  Should I use something really far off, like the Sophie silver I blended into the horn?  Or something else?

Suggestions please!

Uni2_zps6teo6qw5.jpg

• Like 2

OOOH!! I just watched a video about this on Miniature Monthly (shameless plug). The instructor (who shall remain nameless *coughEBBcough*) uses flesh tones to highlight her reds, and they looked fantastic.

• Like 5

One of the ways I like to paint what we call red hair is by shading with a more reddish color, having an orange primary color, and finishing with more blondish highlights. You don't always have to just use darker and lighter shades of the same color when shading and highlighting. Going one step over of the color wheel can provide some nice contrast. Especially with hair that tends not to be a uniform color anyways.

• Like 3

Hrm, thanks.  I don't have the triad but for some reason I wasn't considering doing hairlike highlights since it's a fantasy color to start with.  That's some great suggestions, thanks.  And I guess I just haven't watched the most recent video, because I'm subscribed to that :-)

• Like 1

don't be afraid of some spot highlights with yellow  ...  they would look good with the main highlights in an orange.

• Like 3

So we're agreed that red highlights well with orange/yellow. Matbar has wondered at using silver for the highlights. Why not look at gold? It's roughly a yellow. Mixing a little of the red and gold together should give you and orange highlight that's slightly glittery. Then a final light touch with just the gold. Light touches on both of these.

Who says something magical as a unicorn wouldn't have hair so glossy it verges on glistering?

• Like 4

you also potentially could do mauve. not too pink, a little purplier.  but orange or flesh would also work great.  I like blonde hair or carrotop red

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this