Color Shift Paint for a Dragon

nyrangerslmb

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Color shift paint as it the stuff they use on custom cars?

That stuff has rather large metal flakes mised into the base. Probably too large to reliably airbrush.

The stuff may actually be too large for minis in general.

(I hope not, though. Sounds like an awesome idea)

A better way to do a 'spectral dragon' might be to cast it in clear resin and place an RGB LED in the base, or even a few embedded deep into the body, pointing out to the wings.

Add a very thin layer of paint to give it a smoky look, then light the LED(s)

(I like LEDs... Archives the idea for a later project... )

• Like 1

Airbrushing: Black Gold aka House of Kolor has a variety of shifting colors. Many years ago (2000 maybe?) I sprayed a NASCAR model with the stuff. Looked like the actual car I was trying to replicate. Spendy thou like 20-25 bucks for 1 or 2 oz of pre-thinned paint. Flake size was minimal & in scale.

You just need a good automotive grade primer like Dupicolor & your base coat has to be black.

• Like 2

There's a FB post in one of the KD groups about this.. 

Options would be Golden Interference paint or Spaz Stix

Golden's Interference is the way to go.  They are tiny-flaked, so the effect is that of the finest metallic model paints (eg:  Reaper's stuff).  I'm still working out the kinks of it myself, but that video has made me want some Spaz Stix to try.

Edited by BLZeebub

Are you thinking of interference paints? It has some good results.

Pingo painted a dragon with interference paints on the wings. Looked good.

I bought some Golden Interference paints, and the initial tests look promising. ALso found this pic for reference, the person used Interference blue on top of a blue base, if I remember correctly. http://www.coolminiornot.com/110394?browseid=18086431

• Like 1

I have some powdered pigment that does interference colour; the idea is you mix it with medium and go to town. According to one of the little containers, it's a Jacquard Products thing, and it's called.. I think .. Pearl EX.

Haven't tried the interference pigments on minis yet, but their metallic pigments get some nice results.

s940563549618061150_p881_i16_w636.jpeg

s940563549618061150_p882_i17_w636.jpeg

This appears to be interesting stuff. I have no experience with this company and I haven't yet found reliable information about what this paint is.

Also, sorry I missed this thread during my down time.