nyrangerslmb

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

s940563549618061150_p881_i16_w636.jpeg

s940563549618061150_p882_i17_w636.jpeg

This appears to be interesting stuff. I have no experience with this company and I haven't yet found reliable information about what this paint is.

Also, sorry I missed this thread during my down time.

phlist.jpg

I think at least three of these five would do well for dragons.

I particularly like the Blue one for the classic electric breath weapon Blue Dragons.

• Like 2

Sent a message on Bookface. They look to be laquers to me, but will get a clarification. Also asked about US availability. They mentioned looking for a UK distributor.

Modo Paint in Malasia, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. Each has their own Bookface page. They have a true silver that looks like chrome :wow:

Looks like most users are for gundams or model cars using airbrush.

And answered:

Hello! We would love to get into the United States market. But we are still looking for the suitable candidate to become our distributor.

Anyway, to answer your question about Modo. It's lacquer base and you do need paint thinner for dilution. Modo do comes with its own thinner, paint remover, tool wash and retarder solutions. :)

Edited by Kheprera
  • Like 1

Really no need for Modo paints in the US. House of Kolor is based here in the US & covers all of those. 

These are the paint shift paints (aka Kameleon line).

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-48512690786367/house-of-kolor-kameleon-kolors-kf-series-5.jpg

Same thing as Modo. Lacquer, need a airbrush to spray. Must use black as your base coat for the shift to work. etc etc.

Long time ago I sprayed Vercitherax with the cyan to purple & I got this as my end result

photo_1_house_of_kolor_painted_infiniti_

(remember too, the color will shift from every angle you view it)

Too bad it didn't last the night as I had a open window & rough wind storm rolled through while I was at work that night. Came home to multiple pieces of dragon on the floor. It did look fantastic in person thou.

• Like 1

Also, keep in mind that given that the Modo stuff is lacquer based, it's tough to get imported into the country, due to toxicity (I think).  I've seen tons of issues in the past with the Gunze Sangyo paint lines (makers of many of the official Gundam Paint sets) until they switched them to Acrylic from Lacquer.  I think the modelers in Japan still like the Lacquer stuff, though, more than the acrylic, but it's been a while since I've investigated.  The Gundam Marker sets are acrylic though, and are somewhat available here in the US as paint pens.

My 2 yen,

Akiosama

Edited by Akiosama

What's the difference between interference paint (over a black base) and a colored metallic? I have a hard time seeing a difference in photos but I can imagine they might be different in person. 

Not so much the actual color shifting paint, just stuff like Golden Interference. 

2 minutes ago, Pineapple said:

What's the difference between interference paint (over a black base) and a colored metallic? I have a hard time seeing a difference in photos but I can imagine they might be different in person. 

Not so much the actual color shifting paint, just stuff like Golden Interference. 

Metallics are more opaque.

Interference paint is opaque, but only from certain angles.  From  other angles it is pretty much transparent with a slight tinge the spectral opposite of its regular color -- that is, interference blue looks clear with a yellow tinge, interference green looks clear with a slight magenta tinge, etc.  This is barely noticeable when painted over black.

So metallics are like painting something a solid color.  Interference colors come and go depending on angle.

Some metallics can be treated at least in part like interference colors when thinned down.

• Like 3

I haven't searched for it before, but Liquitex and Golden do sell interference and iridescent paints in their specialty colors.

It should be far easier to find than other imports. But at the same time I now wonder what the overall appearance will be on the scale we work on.

I keep discovering new kinds of paints and mediums hanging around here.

Edited by Cranky Dog

4 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

I haven't searched for it before, but Liquitex and Golden do sell interference and iridescent paints in their specialty colors.

It should be far easier to find than other imports. But at the same time I now wonder what the overall appearance will be on the scale we work on.

I keep discovering new kinds of paints and mediums hanging around here.

I painted Reaper's Deathsleet with interference blue and violet over black.  I think there's some green in there too.

I painted Reaper's Kraken using interference blue for its now-you-see-it-now-you-don't effect.

And Nazera Bloodraven, Vampire,'s armor for the iridescent effect.

(I have a whole spectrum of interference colors, but I guess I really love the blue and violet ones)

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Pingo said:

I painted Reaper's Deathsleet with interference blue and violet over black.  I think there's some green in there too.

I painted Reaper's Kraken using interference blue for its now-you-see-it-now-you-don't effect.

And Nazera Bloodraven, Vampire,'s armor for the iridescent effect.

(I have a whole spectrum of interference colors, but I guess I really love the blue and violet ones)

Pretty nice! Now I have to ask if they look even better in person?

Seeing as the appearance of these types of paint vary with the viewing angle, and that our eyes give us two slightly different angles compared to a single point of view camera lens; with the right light source, the effect must be even more impressive.

• Like 1