Sign in to follow this  
fanguad

Sinzirith, Blood Vestal High Priestess

Nice work. And yeah, I know what you mean, I'm sure when going to war, glueing metal bits to your skin, would totally be the way I'ld go. And I'm pretty sure having a long flowing cape attached to my headdress, is totally great, not going to cause any issues in hand to hand combat. Lol

• Like 1

She was in a hurry to get dressed that morning, got to get an early start to the day after all, the early bird gets the human heart. The She looks fantastic, silly clothes and all.

• Like 3

She was in a hurry to get dressed that morning, got to get an early start to the day after all, the early bird gets the human heart. The She looks fantastic, silly clothes and all.

This!

Great job D!

• Like 1

She is battling a bunch of Male barbarians....  the clothing is a calculated distraction as they can't help but pause to admire her when they come face to face on the battlefield...  (last barbarian she met she captured his heart ... literally)!

Now if that is you having fun painting and just going with the flow...  do it more often... its great!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Mutilatedlips
      Lots of fun to paint. Nothing to glue. Fun, fun, fun!
      I love painting dark elves. I tried a little more modern skin tone this time. The previous ones I painted I gave them more of an old school look with some light purple to their skin.

• By Pingo
      How slowly has this WIP gone? I started these elves in late spring 2016. Because of events and shake-ups I set aside all my work from that time, but now I have picked them up again. For this WIP I am making a warband of three female and one male Drow with support from a female sorceress Drider.

The three women are the wonderful set 03516: DHL Classics: Dark Elves sculpted by the inimitable Sandra Garrity. I'm going to identify each separately because they also have individual SKUs and names and it's easier to keep track of them that way. The man is 14046: Ardynn, Elf Hero sculpted by Werner Klocke; he is not intended as a Drow, but he looks so cranky I think he will do well as one. The Drider is a Bones mash-up of 77182: Arachnid Archer plus the torso of 77057: Juliette, Sorceress, as detailed in this thread.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.

To begin with I painted the three women's weaponry straight Carbon Black, with the thought that I would paint over it later with metallics or iridescents, which always look better against a dark underpainting.

I mixed a transparent dark blue-black from Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue and washed it over the three women's skin, and a bit lightly over their hair to begin to work where shadows will be,

The first dark elf in the Garrity set is also sold as 02574: Female Dark Elf.

The second is also Reaper's 02524: Female Dark Elf Cleric

And the third is 02460: Vernicia

I then mixed some Titanium White with the blue-black to make a cold blue grey and added rough lights to the skin, and white to the hair.

Ardynn I started a little differently, with blue-grey mixes from Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna, and Titanium White and a bit of straight white in his hair from the start.

This is my custom-made Drider, primed with Reaper's Brown Liner diluted somewhat:

I painted her skin and hair the same way I did Ardynn's. This is the crude beginnings:

Next time: Faces! And arghy bits I missed, like Ardynn's hands.

• By dks
      Here's a figure that I painted in the last week: Liela, the sorceress for the Darkreach dark elves, from Warlord's Savage North.

Besides my usual palette for dark elves -- Volcano Brown skin, Deep Amethyst metals, Brown Liner ("black") leather and cloth -- I also used Surf Aqua and Sky Blue to get some icy tones. Her eyes are a softer pink than the orange or red that I've used on other dark elves. Her staff is in bone colors, with some scribbled painted-on texture.

For the snow, I used the same technique that I made up for the dwarven King Axehelm figure: Deep Amethyst, Sky Blue, and Pure White for the snow, and simulations of reflected light on the undersides of some objects using Sky Blue and Pure White.

Enjoy,
      Derek

• By dmpv01
      Autumn Bronzeleaf as a drow.

• By dmpv01
      AKA Dorva Shinystab Strongface

• Who's Online   29 Members, 2 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)