Sculpting an anthro badger warrioress…

That was really cool. Wish I could say you made it look easy, but it still looks like arcane cthuluesque sorcery to me.

Do you sculpt multiple pieces at once or wait til one is completely finished before moving on?

And, do you ever stop on one. Cast it and then use that part to make multiples from the same base?

If I could add XP to select skills like in RPGs... I would definitely add the "sculpt awesome" skill....

• Like 1
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the things I like to do is make every miniature a single piece; I'm not a fan of multi-part metal models, mostly because I always seem to break them! So this badger needs to be a single piece.

Then it was time to start the sculpting from the ground up… with the feet! I mixed up some fresh Green Stuff, and pushed it onto the armature, and smoothed it. Then I cut some lines in to mark the t

I then added a couple of semi-circles for ears, and small ball shapes for eyes, and a blob for a nose. These were blended in, and I started tidying it all up, marking in the nostrils and mouth. Then I

The shoulder shield?

The shoulder plate is a Pauldron, but the shield...

It doesn't look like an Ailette, and really, it's too high up for a Besagew.

Looks good, though....

I'm thinking more of an ecranche, but the early versions were quite big, and I'm struggling to find pics of the smaller ones... oh, well, she's a badger, so I guess it's all made up anyway!  ^_^

Rogier_van_der_Weyden_-_Saint_George_and

That was really cool. Wish I could say you made it look easy, but it still looks like arcane cthuluesque sorcery to me.

Do you sculpt multiple pieces at once or wait til one is completely finished before moving on?

And, do you ever stop on one. Cast it and then use that part to make multiples from the same base?

If I could add XP to select skills like in RPGs... I would definitely add the "sculpt awesome" skill....

I usually work on 3 sculpts at a time - that seems to be the best compromise between avoiding wasting too much time, and getting overwhelmed by the job!

I don't stop and get mine cast; I know a lot of people who do work that way, but I don't like it. I think it's a throwback to spending years sculpting historical 15mm minis, and that was all 'make a dolly, cast it, add clothing and armour' and I just got a bit sick of it, really...

Thanks, I learned a lot from this post.

I glad you enjoyed it! 

cheers

Michael

• Like 1

I know you don't like separate parts...

But it might be good to separate out parts like that ecranche on some minis, and possibly even add a 'blank' version as well, so that the mini can be more easily customised.

(How big is the durn ecrance-whatever thing anyway?)

Multi-part metals = evil... trust me on this!  :;):

It's not just the fact that they never stay glued together (for me, anyway!) but it also runs into things like needing extra moulds; small, thin parts cast at different speeds/temperatures to big fat things. Also it makes picking/packing a little more difficult. Basically, it pushes up the price, and makes them less durable. I do get that it's easier to customise multiparts, but it just doesn't really work with my plans for this range. Sorry!

Of course, if I ever get enough cash to do a plastic sprue set, then that'd be a different story...  ^_^

(Not sure how big the ecranche is - can't measure it, minis gone to Pete for master moulding!)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Oooh, this was really cool to look through! Thank you for creating such an informative thread. ^_^

I especially liked how the claws and the scale armor were just extensions of bigger parts - that makes tiny individual pieces seem much easier to handle!

• Like 1