Storing your Reaper Paint Kits

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm.  Maybe one of the Reaper reps can answer the best way to store them.  I have mine sitting upright in cases, and no idea if that is best or if they should be upside down or on their sides.  It probably doesn't matter as long as you give them a good shake every so often to keep them mixed.

Edited by Bloodhowl
  • Like 2

You can safely store the paint either way, or even upside down. I'm not sure that any way is definitely best. One way may be a bit better than another, but any orientation that you choose to store the paint will work just fine. I store my paint upright, but it's only because my paint racks work that way. If you want to store your paint horizontal have no fear. They'll be fine. Bottom out seems to be preferred for horizontal storage. That lets you see the colors clearly in the racks.

• Like 1

You can safely store the paint either way, or even upside down. I'm not sure that any way is definitely best. One way may be a bit better than another, but any orientation that you choose to store the paint will work just fine. I store my paint upright, but it's only because my paint racks work that way. If you want to store your paint horizontal have no fear. They'll be fine. Bottom out seems to be preferred for horizontal storage. That lets you see the colors clearly in the racks.

Mine are mostly upright, too, which is why I dot the tops of the dropper bottles with the paint. That way I can see what it looks like when it's dry, instead of relying on color names or trying to look through cloudy plastic. I'm pretty sure that's what the indentation in the tops is for.

• Like 2

Mine are mostly upright, too, which is why I dot the tops of the dropper bottles with the paint. That way I can see what it looks like when it's dry, instead of relying on color names or trying to look through cloudy plastic. I'm pretty sure that's what the indentation in the tops is for.

I do that for all my paints as well. It's a good tip. I don't think that's the reason for the indent though. Most plastic dropper bottles that I've seen have the indention, including ones used for pharmaceutical use and eliquids. Some chemical reagent bottles used for chemical testing don't have the indent while others do. I'm not sure what the original purpose of the indent is for. I'm glad hobby paint bottles have them though. 

• Like 2

I've never noticed an issue with storing in either direction.  I've avoided storing upside down, though.

I'm glad the caps have the indent as well, though I've been lazy about using them.  Quite a while ago, there was a period where Reaper had to use caps without an indent, and I always think they look odd next to the others.  

Another thing to watch for is the caps that eventually self-destruct.  I've only had that happen to one cap so far, but I expect it won't be the only one.  Not sure if it is from a bad batch or just aging, but others have reported it.  My paints seldom see sunlight, so it isn't that.

• Like 1

For dropper bottles it doesn't matter much, unless you tend to over-tighten the caps so that they split...

Cans, or pots, though...

(My experience ismostly with old Humbrol 10ml metal cans)

Those really should be stored upside down. That way the paint covers the seal between can and lid and stopping air from entering.

(air molecules can get through much smaller gaps than paint.)

The paint directly up against the seal will of course be exposed to air, but that's a miniscule amount compared to the entire surface that would otherwise be exposed.

• Like 2

For dropper bottles it doesn't matter much, unless you tend to over-tighten the caps so that they split...

Cans, or pots, though...

(My experience ismostly with old Humbrol 10ml metal cans)

Those really should be stored upside down. That way the paint covers the seal between can and lid and stopping air from entering.

(air molecules can get through much smaller gaps than paint.)

The paint directly up against the seal will of course be exposed to air, but that's a miniscule amount compared to the entire surface that would otherwise be exposed.

so much this!

It allowed me to save a whole bunch of Polly S paints from the early 80s.....

They still rock!

• Like 3

Due to space issues I keep mine upright and haven't had any problems as far as the reaper dropper bottles. The gw stuff....the emerald green and blood red from the mid 90s are seemingly immortal but everything newer than that is very hit or miss.(I've had a couple that went completely rocklike after a month, others still good at 5 yrs old.)

Instead of painting the caps, I have a piece of paper taped to my wall with color swatches labelled by name on it. I find it a quick reference as to shade difference.