Gadgetman!

The Grim Squeaker gets it...

Okay... I have a couple of this adorable mini and figured I'd try to do it the way the artist envisioned it, instead of how it had to be cast...

As it's only a minor conversion, and I'm not going to go into tedious detail, I didn't bother to make a thread in the conversion section.

So, first off, chop it into pieces!

post-14703-0-15579800-1483024066_thumb.jpg

Then chop it into more pieces, and drill holes through them!

post-14703-0-86476300-1483024199_thumb.jpg

(Look closely and you can see a beading wire run through the parts)

The LED I'm going to use, shown together with a part I'm not going to use, for size comparison.

post-14703-0-04746000-1483024252_thumb.jpg

It's a bit bigger than the ones I've messed with before, but that is mostly because it's an RGB LED.

(Red, Green, Blue.)

Which also explains the 4 thin wires.

post-14703-0-96169000-1483024382_thumb.jpg

Here the LED is in place in the scythe handle and placed in a mould of generic 'Blue Stuff'.

(The mould was made before I started cutting. I just didn't take pictures of that. Check GreenStuff World's YT videos for how-to)

Yes, the mould is two part...

Expect to spend an evening if you intend to do the same. Also, for [insert deity]'s sake, pick a single-colour LED as fitting an RGB LED is a pain in the...

(I used te RGB LED because I wanted Blue light, and I didn't have any Blue LEDs in my toybox)

Finally! Time to start painting...

post-14703-0-31020300-1483024614_thumb.jpg

Some Vallejo Gray primer on hands and face, Vallejo 70.614 'IDF Israeli Sand' primer on the handle.

The blade(made of clear resin, 'jewelry resin') isn't primed yet...

Now for the Black primer...

post-14703-0-75011200-1483024781_thumb.jpg

Note that I've been careful to use only a very thin layer on the edge part of the blade.

Priming done, it's time to begin slapping on paint...

post-14703-0-88495900-1483024865_thumb.jpg

And the first was 09437 Dragon Black,

That went on undiluted using a Rosemary&Co #0 filbert.

Then I mixed up a concoction I call 'Stygian night', (one drop Dragon Black, 2 drops 09423 Styx Purple) and used as the first highlight.

Second highlight is Styx Purple.

And finally a dab of 09686 Gothic Crimson for good measure.

I will probably need to go over some areas with Dragon Black again, and I also need to think a bit about the tears on the edge of the robe.

The blade will get a thin metallic coat, and the handle will get the Vallejo Old Wood weathering.

• Like 18

Very curious to see how this turns out. I've been interested in incorporating LEDs into minis ever my 40k days, and people inserting them into tanks.

have you tested the LED to see how the light comes through the primer?

Not on this one, yet, but I know from back when I messed with a Bones skeleton that you need a decent coat of black to stop the light from escaping.

• Like 1

Weird...

I thought I should check the art of the Mousling in Reaper's galleries, but no...

Can't find it.

Can't find it in the show off section here, or anywhere, really.

And I KNOW there was a lot of 'squee' going on when it debuted.

• Like 1

I get the distinct feeling, that it takes a certain kind of madness, to put LEDs in a mousling-sized miniature. ::D:
But it seems to have paid off so far, I am looking forward to the end result.

• Like 1

Okay...

The RGB LED didn't work out as planned. It's possible that it got dislodged during the casting, or it just didn't have the right spread pattern. Also, the apint on the resin started cracking, so there must have been something wrong with the resin itself. 

I managed to find a 0402-size Blue LED online, but testing shows it to be even worse, and I didn't like the solder job done on those.

So I have ordered some  0805 and 1206 LEDs from a different supplier. Fingers crossed that those are better.

(And that they're out of China before their new years holiday)

I also have a couple of tricks that should help out, but they're kind of cheating, so... We'll see...

Anyway...

I did a bit of painting on the cross and the owl.

First I primed it black, then I added white dots in the face of the mouse.

post-14703-0-33493100-1485209108_thumb.jpg

The owl got a layer of Vallejo IDFSand Grey, nd the cross itself got mostly covered with Vallejo Dry Rust, then was dry-brushed with Vallejo Rust.

post-14703-0-17491700-1485209194_thumb.jpg

The Mouse eyes got a dab of Tamiya Clear Red, the owl got a bruhing of MSP Weathered Stone around the eyes, and MSP Rich Leather on the body and wings. The eyes and claws have been left just primered.

post-14703-0-39697200-1485209325_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the cross, but will need to do a bit more brushing on the mouse faces before calling it done.

The owl could be better... but I think that if I try to better it I'll probably screw it up, so I'm leaving it as is.

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Mocha
      Hi folks! I hope everyone had a Happy Easter! Painted this Mousling on last night's Twitch livestream :) Worked on some freehand lace patterns and put a normal-sized penny (I swear!) next to this little guy for scale. He was so much fun to paint 

• By SGHawkins09
      When I got my Secret Sophie assignment and  saw that I got @Corporea to paint for, I knew almost instantly what I wanted to paint for her. She put that she likes anything adorable and cute plus I know she likes mouslings so I knew I had to paint one for her. As I was going through my stash I found that had the Santa one and knew it was perfect. I also knew I wanted to pair it with a Christmas tree but it took me a while to settle on how I wanted to do the tree. Mainly I was flipping back and forth between making or buying one. I ended up making one out of greenstuff and am really happy with how it turned out. 

• By Envii
      I decided to paint a few mouslings as Christmas presents for people.  For the most part I think they turned out decent.  The Santa was a little rushed so he's a little less detailed than I would have liked.  And yes, I did get the basing idea for Asiago Jones from a diorama at Reaper Con.

It was also my first time playing around with basing.  I'm having a hard time with putting on a second layer of basing materials, like the snow over the grass on the Santa.  Maybe I didn't wait long enough between layers but trying to spread glue on the grass ended up just pulling up a bunch of the grass.  So suggestions and thoughts are welcome.

Ninja Mousling:

Witch Mousling:

Asiago Jones:

Santa Mousling:

• By SamuraiJack
      About
      Miniature lights for all shapes
      Grimlight are tiny magnet-controlled light circuits for miniature gaming, dungeon mastering, model trains, LARP:s and whatever else you can think of. Grimlight has the following features:
      Magnetic control – switch on and off without touching the miniature Easy to hide – 0.2 mm wiring laid either inside or on the miniature  Switchable effects – fixed, pulsating or flickering chosen by magnet Convenient – easy to use and install  Small circuit – 21*2.4 mm fits in regular 28 mm miniature bases  Small led's – 0.6 mm fits in a drill hole  Battery operated – using a CR1216 clock battery  Long stand-by time – over a year  Flexible – 2 led's per circuit  Any colour – paint or cover the light thinly in any colour  SHIPPING INCLUDED, WORLDWIDE! How about that?

Stretch goals
      SEK 140,000: We add additional effect settings to each Grimlight SEK 150,000: Produce a guide for how to modify the software to change lighting effects. Publish all code under an open license. SEK 200,000: We add some fiber optic cables with every physical Grimlight reward, perfect for added variation. To be continued.... Rewards
      To keep it simple there are only a few different reward tiers. For different amounts of Grimlights, just pledge in multiples of the chosen non-"early bird" tier. The regular one that we believe will be what most want is the 250 SEK tier simply called "five grimlights". For ease of handling and due to shipping cost it is only possible to get Grimlight in multiples of five. If you would like to get 15 for example, just pledge 750 SEK. The reward level "5 Grimlights with larger battery holder" are Grimlights that are modified to operate from three AAA batteries instead of from one CR1216. If you want to add lighting to something big and think it would be good with extended time (about 50 times the capacity) before needing to change batteries this is for you. If you have some special needs and ideas for the lighting you need there is also a tier where we can program custom effects for you (within the constraints of what is possible with the micro-controller we are using).
      What it looks like

What our current Grimlight prototypes look like before installation  
      Example of what can be done with a Grimlight and optic fiber    Our first prototype from Conan by Monolith  
      Prototypes leading up to final version, left is oldest.
    • By Boaz
      I have an idea or three ... but would like to hear others impression of the impressive Space Mouslings by Gene Van Horne ... who are they in your galaxy what are they like and what do they do ... we each have our own lil galaxy and no two are exactly alike ... so ... how do you see space mouslings in your galaxy ?
  • Who's Online   30 Members, 3 Anonymous, 55 Guests (See full list)