Thrym

02622 :: Frulla Krung :: Thrym WIP #98.7

Frulla was selected as part of my "On Deck" thread.  So, I've cleaned her up and primed her.

Next up is basing the slate.

Pic ...

post-7739-0-93619200-1483051309_thumb.jpg

Stay Tuned

• Like 10

Here's Frulla with two rocks and some play sand.

Snow scape in process.

post-7739-0-70382000-1483058882_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Based and Primed:

Basing began with the previously shown bark pieces being glued into place.

Once those were set, I added super glue and sand to fill around the integral base.

Once that was set, I added some Squadron Green Putty to smooth out the "snow" in places and fill some cracks of the wood "rock".

Then after cutting the bark closer to the slate and adding some cut-ins along those cut edges, I decided to add another small bit of rock behind her and toward the middle.

After setting that in place, I used some more super glue and sand to fill the snow between the two rocks and around the new rock.

Some filing of the outside edges and the slate led me to seal the wood with a layer of super glue.

Once that was set, I filed the cut-ins smooth and cleaned some edges.

Then I finished priming the base and did a wash of primer to get into the smallest details.

Pictures:

post-7739-0-61610900-1483074830.jpg

post-7739-0-52395100-1483074829_thumb.jpg

post-7739-0-15016600-1483074830_thumb.jpg

Enjoy and Stay Tuned

As always if there are any questions voice them and I will answer.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 12

She needs SKULLZ on her base! :wow:

Noted.  But I will likely add that after I get a feel for the paint on the rock and such.  Was thinking of hiding a skull up under the ledge near her right foot.

• Like 2

She needs SKULLZ on her base! :wow:

Noted.  But I will likely add that after I get a feel for the paint on the rock and such.  Was thinking of hiding a skull up under the ledge near her right foot.

I approve!

• Like 1

Here's a top view of the base, front and back.

post-7739-0-57535200-1483077785.jpg

For a better view of the layout.

• Like 10

I have to ask: what are you using for primer? I've done a lot of Bones minis and know how to prime those, but I'm now finally getting into painting middle managers, er, metal miniatures. (Stupid dictation software.)

• Like 2

I have to ask: what are you using for primer? I've done a lot of Bones minis and know how to prime those, but I'm now finally getting into painting middle managers, er, metal miniatures. (Stupid dictation software.)

I use a variety of stuff to prime miniatures.

In Frulla's case, it's Reaper Grey Primer.  Which I brush on.  Frequently, I also wash it in to ensure good coverage into all the little nooks and crannies.

I have also used:

• Reaper White Primer - brush on
  • Reaper Pure Black - though not a primer, it does work well enough with a couple of coats
  • Armory White Spray Primer - specially formulated for miniatures. Army Painter, P3 and Citadel also have their own brands.
  • Craft paints - like with Reaper Pure Black, though it's not a primer, it works well enough.  I use these depending on what final brightness & color I am looking for. 

You can see a Tan base coat on Lunkh and the Ogre Mage I painted.

I prime according to the overall lightness or darkness of the miniature.  Naturally, you can prime something and then basecoat it white to get the brightness of an area up or basecoat black to bring an area down.

I find it harder to bring the brightness up from black so if I need a bright red or blue I start with White or Grey.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 4

I'm going to have to try the Reaper primer, then. Maybe some of the hobby spray primers, too. I've had luck before with making a scratch-proof primer coat using Rustoleum spray primer on zinc railroad model locomotives, but felt that would obscure too much detail on miniatures. (And baking it on pewter minis like I did the railroad models would be disastrous, due to the lower melting temp.)

• Like 2