Sign in to follow this  
Aard_Rinn

Question about WH40K Space Wolves: Fenrisian Wolf Pack

One of the things I've been struggling with as I assemble my hoards of D&D minis is getting wolves. High-quality, diverse wolf sculpts are actually pretty hard to find, I'm finding - I want a good-sized pack, and while I love Reaper's three-wolf pack in pewter, they're a little smol and gentle looking for my tastes...

So I've been booping around Amazon looking for something to burn a giftcard on, and I found something called the Space Wolves: Fenrisian Wolf Pack. This:

99120101092_FenrisianWolfPackNEW01.jpg

They look... pretty good, and @ 20$ for 5 they're more expensive than bones but cheaper than pewter (and a steal @ GW prices!)

So... has anyone seen/used these? How do they measure up next to Reaper's stuff? I don't mind if they're a little hulking, but they come with 40mm bases, so they sound pretty giant? I do love that there are 5 sculpts though - that's really, really handy, since I'd probably want a good-sized pack...

If anyone has a ref. of them next to a Reaper fig, or could take one, I would love you forever~!

• Like 1

They are big. More along the size of dire wolves... Large size in DND/Pathfinder terms. 

5b0559aefa.jpg5b05dbe230.jpg

the smaller wolf is the DnD prepaint on a 25mm base and is medium size... 

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 2

Alrighty! I have PLACED THE ORDER! Thanks for all the help guys - these look a little big for real wolves, but perfect for dire wolves, so I've got some really good encounters planned up for them :D And two of them are going to be fire elementals, which will be fun!

• Like 4

Alrighty! I have PLACED THE ORDER! Thanks for all the help guys - these look a little big for real wolves, but perfect for dire wolves, so I've got some really good encounters planned up for them :D And two of them are going to be fire elementals, which will be fun!

Do show them when painted!

• Like 1

I have a box of these :D They're awesome. I will say this, without hopefully getting too much into debate about GW pricing etc: for their cost, they do really really good work, well worth it imo. There's some great detail on these.

Mine are eventually going towards Goblin riders I think, one of those backburner projects.

Be great to see how you paint yours up!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rat13
      So awhile back Uncle Adam on the YouTube mentioned something about making a Halloween themed killteam scenario. It seemed like a pretty good idea and after a lot of thought I decided to give it a try. How hard could it be to make a custom scenario for the spooky season? Having seen quite a few interesting wave based custom scenarios I knew that was the way I wanted to go. I also knew I wanted to use the undead (zombies and skeletons). 

So the first problem is that I don't have enough zombies and skeletons for a wave based scenario. Not exactly wanting to break the bank for what will probably be a one off game I started looking for some cheap zombies. Turns out I didn't have to look hard or for very long. Zombies!!! Glowing Bag O' Zombies was just the ticket with 100 zombies (in four sculpts) for about $12 all in.

Now they're a little on the small size, but again this is a one off game. Besides painting a hundred figures for a one off game I don't think my buddies will have too much to say. Armed with this bag and the few undead I already have I think I'll have enough enemies to go around. Or maybe I need another bag?

I started out the night with two different sculpts with the simple intention of figuring out color schemes. First up was either a construction worker or a hunter, and honestly even after painting it I'm still not sure. As I blocked out the colors I was better able to see the figure's details, though I still don't know if it's a construction worker or a hunter. Would you call that a construnter?

I hit everything minus the skin and gore when I had an idea. I just might be able to put that grey primer to work. With just a red wash I might be able to completely skip painting the skin and gore.

I wouldn't exactly call it a success, but it's not terrible. This guy will probably squeak by as is but it looks like I'll be painting skin afterall. 

Next up was a fellow carrying a severed leg. On this one I painted a skin tone but used just a wash again for the gore. 

I think it looks better, but I'm still on the fence. 

Though neither figure is finished I can't believe how quickly they painted up. Knowing that a batch paint was the next step I attached all the construction/hunters (construnters) to craft sticks. 

Then seeing how much paint was leftover on my palette from this and a previous project I went ahead and basecoated all the pants. 

I did not expect to do so much in just one night, but then again we all know I won't keep this pace.
    • By Loim
      A kid who works for me plays 40K, and was showing me a color scheme he liked. I asked if I could give i a shot on one of his minis, so he gave me this one to paint up. I tried to get a decent result while doing it as fast as possible. Counting priming and sealing I think this is about 2 hours and some change. I did a zenithal prime with Stynylrez, and all colors are RMS with the exception of Nuln Oil and Seraphim Sepia. 

• By Rat13
      I've been teasing this project way longer than I should have. I honestly just kept forgetting to pick up some lasguns. Really that's all that delayed this project for so long. But before we jump into it I figured I'd give a little context to the project. 

As the lore says some humans have defected leaving the Imperium of man and joining the Tau. Though I don't know a ton of Tau players every one I have met has at least one unit of human defectors in their army. My friend is no exception to this, but as I play Guard exclusively he really likes to point them out every chance he gets. 

I had no plans whatsoever to fight fire with fire, at least on this particular joke. I was content to let him have this one as I always had my "Fabulous" squad and segways on the field whenever I played him(and I can happily report that both squads tend to do really well against him). The bits bin however had other plans. 

A few months before my wife and I found a house and subsequently moved I came across a squad of Tau for about eight bucks. They were fully assembled save their arms, but all the neccessary parts were there. I originally picked them up as a gift for my friend, a potential trade, or for something new to paint. I really didn't have a specific idea for them and for that reason they remained tucked away in my desk.

As I was just figuring out if my next Guardsmen project would be a squad of PDF or a big batch of conscripts it hit me. What about a Tau prisoner squad? At first I liked the idea as it was basically the same concept with just that little twist. It certainly fit the lore better than Tau defecting to the Imperium. It also seemed way more likely the Imperium would utilize them in that way. I could already hear my friends jokes however as they'd only be fighting on my side because they were forced to. So ignoring the lore and logic I went with regular defectors instead. 

First up I had to equip them with lasguns. I'll admit I thought about how to do that way longer than was necessary. There are indeed many ways to do it, but I figured the easiest way was to simply cut their regular guns just beyond where the hands held them. Then all I had to do was glue a lasgun to it, greenstuff the seams and call it a day. It wouldn't look amazing but it would suffice. It'd also give me a chance to practice with greenstuff. 

It did cause another problem however. Most of the secondary arms were designed to cradle the bottom of their guns. Their cupped hands didn't exactly fit the bulkier lasguns. They were perfect for holding grenades however. 

Well here they are primed and ready to paint. 

I'm not very good when it comes to green stuff but I'm hoping a paintjob might be able to hide some of the flaws. I know there are only nine, but I plan to take them with a regular Guard sergeant. They may be defectors but someone has to watch them.
    • By Rat13
      My wife finally came to some decisions on the direction of her army. Which meant I could finally start buying said army. After watching for awhile I finally stumbled across some auctions that were right up her alley. I even managed to win a few and now I can finally "build" her army (as a lot came from the auction site this is mostly just painting them but some will need assembly). 

As the title suggests I'd like to complete this project in a year or less. As my army took about a year to "finish" I'd be remiss if I didn't try to finish her's in a similar time frame. That and I know I'd never hear the end of it from my gaming friends if her army took longer, my wife on the other hand probably wouldn't care. As of this post she has most of her army and can start playing and learning the larger game and that's all she really cares about.

To start the project I went through all the figures and selected a few to paint first. Basically I went through everything and selected all the unique models i.e. the ones with odd bits, poses, or modifications. I even grabbed a few vintage models for this starting lineup. With everything primed during an unexpected winter reprieve it's time to begin.

I started off with just a single model deciding it would get a little special attention. Unfortunately I put way too much yellow on my palette so I spent most of my time adding the yellow basecoat to everything else. 

Once that was finished I came back to that first model and finished off its "special" detail.
      I think it gives it a nice little extra something, but maybe I'm wrong.

So let's see if a year is enough time to finish a Waaagh.
    • By kristof65
      Back in the "olden days" when I played 40k second edition, our game group played a lot of multi player games, and as a result, we sort of had a meta-game RPG going on with our Space Marine Chapters.  Thanks to the things that happened during the games, our chapters had allies and alliances and rivalries and foes.

Sometimes, to resolve disputes, we would hold a council meeting of the Chapters so grievances could be aired, agreements come to and consequences doled out. In these council meetings, each chapter got a vote. 

But a problem emerged - some players had multiple chapters of their own design, and multiple players were playing official GW chapters, which meant that some people had multiple votes, while others had to share.  The solution we came up with was that for council votes, a chapter could be represented by a single fully painted miniature.

And so most of us painted up three or four minis as our vote "tokens". And here are mine from the 90s:

The guy on the left is one of my Marines Errant, which was my primary Chapter. The black and yellow guy is one of my Blast Hornets, a chapter that was declared renegade as the result of one of these council meetings. The two on the left are my voting minis, from the Fire Angels and Fire Hawks chapters.

Just before I moved away, we had a big council meeting coming up, and I hatched a dastardly plan. I bought two boxes of the cheapest Space Marines I could, and planned to paint up twenty more chapters, thus ensuring I could rule final vote. This was also going to be my parting gift - I was going to give each of the other players two of the minis.

Well, I didn't manage to do more than get those minis primed.  I recently found that box of primed Space Marines, and decided to see how well I could paint one of my Marines Errant 20+ years later, using Reaper's MSPs.

And then I decided I wanted to finally finish the project

Here are the first six. On the left is a Marines Errant, and on the right is a Salamander - the other four I just painted up and threw decals on.  I'll have to come up with chapter names for them later.

• Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 29 Guests (See full list)