Getting To Know Each Other - January 2017

Crowley

Question for January 1st/2nd, 2017

Yes, I know, usually these don't start on a Sunday, but I wanted to get this up early, even if it steps on the toes of the December thread... 

What are you most looking forward to in 2017?

- Learning to do lost wax casting

- The cool sculpts I get to create for Bones IV.

- Fishing in the spring

- Bones IV

- ReaperCon 

Question for January 3, 2017

It's the 3rd day of the year, have you done any hobby related activities yet?

Yep.  I finished the ventilation system on my casting foundry and worked on my current Dragon-Kin sculpts.

• Like 10

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Canuck, is that with all your molds? Are you using the wet water method and a vibrating table?

Yup. All molds, I've tried a few variations on wet water (going to try something else at some point soon), tried with no vibration, with thumping the table, and with the massager thing vibrating things at different levels... It seems like the hydrostone and MM both just really want to have a lot of little bubbles that I can't get rid of. ::(:

Hmmm wonder what it could be then, perhaps the water ratio? I just use dental plaster now and have no problems.

• Like 3

Unfortunately not as much as I'd like as we've still got kids at home who don't go back to Uni until next week. Will be much easier when we have the house back to ourselves...we all like to play games though so we've had plenty of family games nights which is cool  ::D:

• Like 6

Continuing work on Menhom, Dark Shadow (Andrea Miniatures), and started on my Valentine's Day competition piece for the forum contest.

• Like 6

I started building a new paint rack from scratch. This will have horizontal storage for 320 dropper bottles. I'm trying to remember to take pictures of the build process. Since I may have to go out of town for a few weeks before I can finish, I'm not sure if I should start a WIP thread for it now, or once I'm back in town with time to complete it.

• Like 9

Technically, yes... No actual hobby stuff, but hobby-related stuff, yes. I did a bit of materials harvesting.

I finished off the last of the box of green tea I had, so I opened up the two used tea bags and let it dry, then took the little jam jar of it I'd saved and spread everything out on a cookie sheet to dry out fully in the oven for awhile. It'll make some great foliage/flock. At some point I should probably find some mesh to sift it through, though, since it has a wide variety of different-sized bits in it. I could probably sort it out into larger leaves/bush material and smaller more grass/flock-like material.

And I bought a ladies' blouse at the Goodwill Store's New Year's sale for a dollar because the manufacturer's name was spelled out on the back of the neck in tiny 1mm rhinestones - the perfect size for 28mm gems in a treasure hoard... So I spent about half an hour carefully pulling them all off, and ended up harvesting several dozen of them.

I also vaguely started the preliminary braining on a prototype for one of my father's ideas for a pill bottle opener. Either today or tomorrow, I'll begin wildly attacking a piece of PVC pipe with my Dremel...

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 11

Actually been at it for a week or so!! I'm in a model making mood right now so working on those. I've had a particular kit from Tamiya since I first got into their models probably 10 years ago? & I said "This has gone on far too long!"

While I was part of a model forum I did acquire a set of decals for a different scheme & I liked those better so other then that it'll be that kit. In the end I hope to make something that looks similar to this:

hsclk01.jpg

I'm at the insert windows, & decal the body stage so I've also started a Tamiya 1/12 motorcycle kit as well.Also in that deal I got the decals & instructions for this kit:

Tamiya-58244-Body.jpg

So I hope to work on this one in the near future. 

• Like 8

What am I looking forward to this year? 

I'm hoping my personal life develops into a better state one way or another.  I'm also looking to get my side business in gear.  Looking forward to getting closer to finishing my degree slowly but surely, but that won't be finished until late next year at best.

Any hobby related activities yet this year?

I finished making  my first acrylic movement templates and am about 95% done with tokens for X-Wing.  Planning on hitting up tokens for Armada and Rogue Stars next.

• Like 9

Sadly, unless browsing the forums counts, I have to say 'no'.

I've been in a pretty horrible hobby slump for a while now; I need to break it soon.

• Like 4