• Optionally enter a message with your report.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dan S
      Greetings all!

I recently undertook the task of creating several display pieces to serve as scenic backdrops when photographing my miniatures, however being the procrastinator that I am, I have instead found myself with an ever growing pile of unfinished projects.  In an effort to break this cycle I am no longer allowing myself to start new projects until my current one is complete. I figure a progress journal would be a great way to hold myself accountable, and hopefully by sharing my build process even inspire others into giving diorama building a try.

Anyway, without further ado here is my current work in progress, a good old fashioned hobbit hole.  I managed to pick up a cheap and incomplete resin kit (front wall and chimney) on Ebay a while back.  I painted it about a month ago, and it has sat on my desk gathering dust ever since.  Today I finally started to put in some real work on the build.

29/05/20  -  Laying the foundation.

The first job was to lay the foundations of the build.  I hot glued thick polystyrene sheets to an old photo frame and then cut them to shape using a hot wire cutter.  The challenging part was then getting the front wall to fit convincingly into the hill, being an incomplete kit, the front wall was completely rectangular and just didn't look right no matter how I positioned it. To fix this, I measured out and then cut some thick card stock in to triangular sections, and then cut some thinner strips to match the wooden beams on the front of the house.  I then glued these to the house so that the walls now followed the contours of the hill more organically.  I also made some curtains using some old fabric (The original kit has holes for windows and I needed to hide the polystyrene behind them).

Next I mixed up some Sculptamold and started to cover the polystyrene and base of the picture frame before adding some rocks that I had cast previously with Plaster of Paris (They are probably hard to make out in the photo, as they blend in with the white sculptamold, but once painted they should stand out nicely).  With that done I decided to call it a day, and give the sculptamold the night to fully dry before adding any paint.  And that is pretty much how I spent my Friday afternoon.

Apologies for the poor picture quality, I took the photo during the evening in poor lighting with my ancient phone camera.  I'll get some better pictures up once I have something more substantial to share.

EDIT:  Added the finished product here, so folk dont need to scroll through countless posts to find it.

• By Lihmeth
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/medieval-village-npc/dungeon-tile-sorcerer/description

Basically, a program to plan your dungeon. Pretty useful for 3D printing, and comes with it's own set of Egyptian tiles. You'll be able to upload other tiles as well, if you have the STL files. Super Early Bird (50% off, 25$) still available for now ;)
      They have some videos on the page that show how it works.
    • By EvilJames
      I painted this guy up for D&D to be my Warlock. Sadly it may be some time before he fills that role again. Photos still look a bit washed out. :( The Base should look like floorboards and they do in person.
    • By Kangaroorex
      Started this as a PC but the game went nowhere so he sat on my desk for quite some time.  finally got around to finishing him and thought i would share.  He's quite well detailed and has a lot of character I might get another one to try in a different color but that will be another day.  Hope you enjoy him

• By Rigel
      "Fond of bright colors, chiefly green and yellow," as Tolkien described his hobbits.
      Stonehaven does some incredibly character-rich sculpts, and this is one such. This lady is full of vim, vigor, optimism, and a can-do attitude! 

I imagine her as maybe the irrepressible kid sister of a grown adventurer, who has heard stories of adventure and wants to be a part of things. (Big sister played by Daschelle, 44009 )

• Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)