Sign in to follow this  
buglips*the*goblin

02470 Kobold Raiders

Very nice, Master Buglips! I do like how your sword metal came out!

I tried some demi-metallics this time.  Worked okay on the daggers, a bit less so on the axe.  Figure I'd make it up as I went along, make some mistakes, and then go through my old Learn to Paint Kit 5 Pamphlet to figure out what I did wrong and what to do right.

I changed the backdrop from last time, which helped a little.  I pushed a little extra on these dudes than normal, and next mini (or batch of these) I'll push a little more.  I'll have to start doing WIPs again - I usually only do those if the mini is being done from scratch instead of already partially complete. 

Glad you like the daggers, they needed a little extra pop!

• Like 4

There's just something about kobolds. They make a great default low level minion horde whenever I needed one.

These are VERY nicely done. Some of the best painted kobolds I've come across.

• Like 2

Nice group.  I've been partial to kobolds as well for low level and mid level special forces (as a surprise factor).  Sigh, now I reminded of my 4-5 packs of kobolds I need to paint.

• Like 3

There's just something about kobolds. They make a great default low level minion horde whenever I needed one.

These are VERY nicely done. Some of the best painted kobolds I've come across.

They turned out a lot better than I expected, mostly because I looked for extra work.  I didn't usually do this on miniatures before because what I need most is speed, and I assumed looking for ways to add extra highlights - being extra work - would slow me down.  But Takhisis showed me that's not the case at all, that the most time-consuming part is actually the basecoat.  As that step can't be eliminated, the extra work to add a third or fourth highlight in spots, being smaller areas than previous layers, adds practically no time at all.  Like most revelations, this one was simple yet profound.  It means I can stay fast but have a better quality collection.  I have a batch of old Partha TSR Kobolds being cleaned up, too, that will make an appearance Soon.

Nice group.  I've been partial to kobolds as well for low level and mid level special forces (as a surprise factor).  Sigh, now I reminded of my 4-5 packs of kobolds I need to paint.

Slip a pack into your painting stream here and there between other minis, that'll prevent burnout and let the painted pile accumulate.  I have to do 30 kobolds, 30 goblins, 30 orcs, a bunch of skeletons, etc. and this is my plan.  Once I get past the low-level mooks the numbers per creature thin out better, so getting the mooks all done this year is my plan.  Which is part of a larger, more insane longterm plan:  to knock out every major 1st Edition monster from the three books in roughly their number appearing (some are capped, because I don't need 40-400 goblins). 

• Like 5

Oh - additional note:  you'll see on some beasties, like these kobolds and my goblins, I have mounted them on round, black bases.  These bases are actually leftover circular status markers from my Terraclips sets - I presume they were included to help with Malifaux, which is what TClips were originally designed for.  I have no use for them as is, but kept all of them in a bag.  I have a great many of them and even though they're cardboard they're very robust and thin enough not to add much height to small creatures.  The metal bases on the reaper Ben Siens kobolds and goblins are very narrow, I presume to help save costs, so they don't stand up well unbased.  For now I'm just painting them black, as my numbers grow I may revisit them to give them better basing - my immediate objective is to paint, paint, and paint some more. 

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 5

The Little Rascals painted up WONDERFULLY. Your attention to details paid dividends with them. VERY WELL DONE!

• Like 2

Magnificent Job, look fantastic, as a well painted set !

love the balance of the creatures.

• Like 3